DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Casa rules

wombat

Reactions
I am looking for a email address for CASA, in regards to the Mavic Pro rules, anybody know if they have one ?

On their site are phone numbers and I want an answer to my question in writing.

Last edited:
Thanks Jenee and MAvic_South_OZ for your feedback, I did find Flying drones/remotely but I did not scroll to the bottom of the page I now have their postal address and can send them my question via registered letter, I really need a reply in writing about the grey area 30 mtr distance from people, that is confusing, and I believe not fully explained in their rules.

I do believe it is 30m laterally, rather than vertically, so too for distance from buildings and vehicles.
Be good to confirm, pretty sure an email would suffice, but if you plan to do commercial work maybe the letter and written reply would be good.

I do believe it is 30m laterally, rather than vertically, so too for distance from buildings and vehicles.
Be good to confirm, pretty sure an email would suffice, but if you plan to do commercial work maybe the letter and written reply would be good.
yes that is the info I have, I do not want to do commercial work only for recreational. problem with those online forms is that I cannot keep a copy of the form I send them and I do want a record of what i say to them.

When using that type of forms I always take a screen capture with the windows snipping tool, paste it into a word document and save it.

Do a lot of online enquiries for my work and need to keep records of who I have sent it to.

When using that type of forms I always take a screen capture with the windows snipping tool, paste it into a word document and save it.

Do a lot of online enquiries for my work and need to keep records of who I have sent it to.

I have done screenshots and I end up with 3-5 pictures I will have to look into the snipping tool you mentioned

I decided to use the CASA form, will report back here when I receive an answer to my questions.

Last edited:
Hi Guys, got a reply from CASA, see below my questions and their reply.

Hi Guys,

I am seeking a clarification of the 30 mtr rule for a Mavic Pro for recreational flying, I am aware that I have to be 30 mtr away from people.

Question 1: if I am taking off with my son (50 year old) beside me and only 5 mtr from the Mavic Pro does this mean that I am in breach of the CASA 30 mtr rule ?
As long as your son stands behind you (the person operating the RPA/drone) while it is taking off you are not in breach of the regulation - see 101.395 (3).

Question 2: the area is clear and I start to take off (to 1.2 mtr) then a man suddenly appears within that 30 mtr range walking towards me and it is quicker for me to raise the Mavic to about 15-20 mtr, than it is for me to get the Maviv onto the ground, am I now in breach of CASA rule 30 mtr ?

It would depend on the circumstances however normally the recommendation is to land the aircraft immediately. It would also be a good idea to have someone stand 30 metres away to ensure noone walks into the 30 metre range.

Question 3: I am flying my Mavic and a man comes up to me to ask questions about the Mavic because he is interested in getting a Mavic, it is getting close to the end of the battery, I need to bring the Mavic back to its starting point (about 4-5 mtr from me) with this man standing beside me am I in breach of CASA rule 30 mtr if I land while he is there ?

As long as he stands behind you there is no problem.

I do have and use the Can I Fly Here app from CASA before every flight, great app for us guys, thank you for it.

A reply to my questions would be appreciated in writing.

Regards Ron

Ah good to know you can be between the drone and another party.
Would have been good to clarify 30m laterally, rather than vertically.

I think they were talking laterally because the people were on the ground, still does not really clear up the confusion, if a guy walks towards me all i need to do is turn my back to him, perhaps I should ask CASA that question.

I did ask CASA that question but no reply yet

Last edited:
I did get a reply, here it is

Good morning Ron

Below is a copy of 101.395 from Part 101 of the Civil Aviation Safety Regulations 1988 (CASR) that you must comply with.

101.395 Keeping model aircraft away from people

(1) A person must not operate a model aircraft over a populous area at a height less than the height from which, if any of its components fails, it would be able to clear the area.

Penalty: 50 penalty units.

Note: For populous area, see regulation 101.025.

(2) Subject to subregulations (3) and (4), somebody who is operating a powered model aircraft must ensure that, while the model aircraft is in flight, or is landing or taking off, it stays at least 30 metres away from anyone not directly associated with the operation of model aircraft.

Penalty: 50 penalty units.

(3) Subregulation (2) is not contravened if somebody stands behind the model aircraft while it is taking off.

(4) Subregulation (2) is also not contravened if, as part of a model flying competition, a model aircraft is flown within 30 metres of somebody who is judging the competition.

(5) An offence against subregulation (1) or (2) is an offence of strict liability.

Note: For strict liability, see section 6.1 of the Criminal Code.

I think the 30 mtr is to far, it should be 15 mtr IMHO.
My question about turning my back on somebody walking towards me was ignored. I have tried re-sending my question.

I am getting some very good info from CASA and I thank them for the info.

I did get another reply about the "turning my back on anybody walking towards me while flying" and Jan asked for my phone number so that she/he could get a RPA inspector to call me, I said I wanted any relies in writing as I stated in my original questions to CASA, so I thanked her/him for the help that I have received and must only assume that somebody walking towards me would require the Mavic to be returned to ground asap as recommended by Jan.

I think my questions where answered by Jan and cleared up some questions that I thought were a grey area within the CASA rules for RPA.

I did get another reply from Jan and she/he wanted my phone no to get a RPA inspector to phone me, I really wanted any replies to be in writing as requested in my original question to CASA, so I thanked her/him for the help I have been given and it certainly helped clear up a couple of what I considered to be grey area's in the CASA rules for RPA operators.

I consider Jan was very helpful and considerate for answering my questions.

Good on you for trying to resolve some uncertain areas, and CASA rep Jan for assisting as best she could.

It is all a grey area all right, because so many things can change with regards to people in the ground, their / your positioning and movement, and of course the drone’s course of navigation.

I expect keeping you between the drone and the public (by 30m if possible) is the main thing, but not always possible in even slightly popular areas at times.

Why picking your place / time and being flexible to flying (or not flying in some cases) is always going to be the best way to avoid incidents of spectators.

I agree with you MAvic_South_Oz, we just have to be very careful when flying, that is all we can do, I don't want to be caught and have to pay their massive fines.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MemphisDrone