DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Casual - What do you do with your drone?

• Thread starter Deleted member 49217
  • Start date
I have brought my Zoom to Amish farms near the produce auction that I go to. The young Amish teenagers just love it. Their parents DON'T like it so I stopped.

Reactions: dannybgoode
Drones have become a valuable tool for another hobby, Research and then Metal detecting 1780-1870’s historical sites with permission from land owners.

Another type of settlement, That goes back even further probably even a thousand years and these I do not metal detect or removed artifacts. With permission from land owners can fly above and take pictures or video, These are Native American villages, High tech drones allow me to fly up close and at great distances. In some cases, fly inside rock cave entrances to view pictographs. These Native American pictographic paintings are several centuries old, many unseen by human eye in centuries.

Also enjoy sport flying over sides of mountain terrain, creeks/rivers or open desert terrain. Fortunately, Have permission from both farm and Cattle land owners.

Sky’s the limit with how involved one wants to get with this great hobby, I like pushing the envelope with research, high tech drones have helped me enter new terrain I would have never found before without them.

Paul

As a casual user, I haven't used my Mavic Air for a while. I am not interested in recording forests and fields. Mainly family trips or events but those do not happen often.

How do you use your drone if you are not a professional photographer?
The batteries have no parts to sell. They not only create difficulty if not impossible to use, but they are an actual danger. Dispose of them appropriately for the safety of your drone, others near the battery, and yourself.

Last edited:
...I bought three batteries from DJI and that all are now swollen. Don' t know if it's something I did (can't imagine) or what.... I'm I going to have to buy new batteries every year? ...
Mesquite, Nevada. Is it possible they have been exposed to excessive heat? According to DJI they should not be used in temps above 104F. I am still using my original three batteries bought over two years ago and I fly almost daily.

What sort of research, looking for signs of creek depressions to cover ?
That seems logical.
Hello Mavic South Oz,

Native American villages are easy to locate with a drone, just search for mortar holes in rocks. These were used to ground acorns and other types of foods such as berries, pine nuts etc. Not all Native American Indian villages had pictographs, only villages located in rocky areas.

Other types of settlements I search for are early 1800 Spanish settlements, Adobe type housing. Sometimes, the remains of a melted Adobe can be seen from the air with a drone.

Or, Remains of Western 1850-1870’s foundations can be seen from the air of cattle land. Hotels, bunk housing or other remains from structures can be seen. Sky’s the limit, if it’s there a Drone can probably see it.

All the best,
Paul

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Hello Mavic South Oz,

Native American villages are easy to locate with a drone, just search for mortar holes in rocks. These were used to ground acorns and other types of foods such as berries, pine nuts etc. Not all Native American Indian villages had pictographs, only villages located in rocky areas.

Other types of settlements I search for are early 1800 Spanish settlements, Adobe type housing. Sometimes, the remains of a melted Adobe can be seen from the air with a drone.

Or, Remains of Western 1850-1870’s foundations can be seen from the air of cattle land. Hotels, bunk housing or other remains from structures can be seen. Sky’s the limit, if it’s there a Drone can probably see it.

All the best,
Paul

Oh metal detecting for relics.
Here in Oz there are a lot of people that tour around the country detecting for gold.

What you are doing would be very interesting, and yes a drone in the air picks up a lot of good detail if there's anything unusual that contrasts the terrain.

I have a friend that grows weed outside legally in Canada. He uses a Mavic 2 Pro to dry the plants of morning dew / rain after a storm / moisture on humid days.

Cannabis plants when flowering are susceptible to mould, and wet / humid / damp conditions are the main culprit. So he takes his Mavic out each morning and will fly over the canopy of plants, while the downdraft from the props blasts air over the canopy, thus drying the plants out completely.

I thought this was ingenious!

I do film the odd bit of footage too but stills photography is my main interest.

To me my drone is just another camera but one that can get me shots no other and I just enjoy taking her up and seeing what shots I can come home with.

So where are you going on vacation? Are you enjoying the new M2Z? I know that I do. I love being able to zoom in/out whenever I want to. The difference in the lenses doesn't matter to me that much as I'm just a hobby for me and the 4k stuff is as good as I need it to be. I'm sure DJI will come out with some big tomorrow. (Aug 13). Anyway thanks for responding. Oh, have you had any battery issues. I bought three batteries from DJI and that all are now swollen. Don' t know if it's something I did (can't imagine) or what. Was advise by this forum and others to trash them. It's hard to trash $420 worth of batteries after only 11 months. I'm I going to have to buy new batteries every year? Anyway, just frustrating. Can I sell them on email as 'for parts only'? Any info would help. I apologize for get back to you so late, just busy with other stuff since I haven't been able to fly my drone until today. It's been about a month.....jeeze!

Prince George. No battery issues yet

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS