DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Category 1 mini 2 drone

DjiRichie

Reactions
I'm wondering would my mini 2 fall into category 1 status. It weighs 248grams with prop guards. Any help would be greatly appreciated

248g WITH prop guards? Not doubting just curious - are you using the so-called "Japan" battery?
If it really is 248g with prop guards i believe it may qualify as category 1 but not positive.
They would have t be "basket-style" guards though. Any exposed rotating parts would disqualify it from Cat 1.

My mini2 without prop guards is 238.1 g on a very accurate calibrated scale. Also, and you can get away with it now maybe, but it has to be compliant with the RemoteID laws. Since nothing is required to have them now, it might be OK, but once the FAA approves an attachable remote ID, you will have to add that to the payload as well and the mini2 does not seem to have it built in.

Also, it is take off weight. So it has to have everything used in the entire flight. Meaning the SD card, prop guards (that ensure nothing can lacerate a human at all, which generally known as full cages, not just a plastic surround), batteries and any and all payload you expect to have (most minis is nothing else, you aren't picking up a package with one).

Next, make sure you are using a calibrated scale. And triple beams are notoriously bad if they aren't kept in really good shape, and you still have to calibrate.

I think cat1 is really for the super mini drones like they use for racing. But if your mini2 is really only 248 with prop guards and all, then that would be OK. But, like I said, I'd be really positive on the weight, because you are literally talking 1g from the cutoff, and if you hit a person, the FAA will want to use their own scales.

So, not knowing your exact setup, if you are asking if a modified Mini2 could be Cat1 over people, it could be. The rules for Cat1 are that the drone weights less than 249.47g fully outfitted, and has complete cages around the props to ensure they couldn't hit human skin from above, below, or sides, then it would be OK. However, several people have tried to make the case for a mini2 and have not been able to. However, heavy modification like removing large sections of body and replacing with lexan or something might be possible.

I believe you are searching for someone to say yes, but without the drone in front of them, it is impossible to say with any degree of certainty. And from that, I have not seen a Mini2 that would even come close to being Cat1.

My mini2, stock battery, SD card, and my non-compliant prop guards weigh 297.4g ready to fly. It is almost 50g too heavy to qualify for a cat1. And differences in Mini2 weight do not seem to be significant. My answer is, without significant weight reduction and possibly a lightweight battery, that NO, a MIni2 is not Cat1 possible. It is Cat2 though easily, then just needs a parachute to get below the kinetic energy requirement.

Have a read of this thread . . .

Prop Guard Required in the future?

In particular Vic Moss posts at reply # 10, and the link in that post that takes you to this . . .

Category 1-OOP Compliant-DJI Mini 2 - Drone Service Providers Alliance

Another good recent thread to clear things up for OOP . . .

My mini2 without prop guards is 238.1 g on a very accurate calibrated scale. Also, and you can get away with it now maybe, but it has to be compliant with the RemoteID laws. Since nothing is required to have them now, it might be OK, but once the FAA approves an attachable remote ID, you will have to add that to the payload as well and the mini2 does not seem to have it built in.

Also, it is take off weight. So it has to have everything used in the entire flight. Meaning the SD card, prop guards (that ensure nothing can lacerate a human at all, which generally known as full cages, not just a plastic surround), batteries and any and all payload you expect to have (most minis is nothing else, you aren't picking up a package with one).

Next, make sure you are using a calibrated scale. And triple beams are notoriously bad if they aren't kept in really good shape, and you still have to calibrate.

I think cat1 is really for the super mini drones like they use for racing. But if your mini2 is really only 248 with prop guards and all, then that would be OK. But, like I said, I'd be really positive on the weight, because you are literally talking 1g from the cutoff, and if you hit a person, the FAA will want to use their own scales.

So, not knowing your exact setup, if you are asking if a modified Mini2 could be Cat1 over people, it could be. The rules for Cat1 are that the drone weights less than 249.47g fully outfitted, and has complete cages around the props to ensure they couldn't hit human skin from above, below, or sides, then it would be OK. However, several people have tried to make the case for a mini2 and have not been able to. However, heavy modification like removing large sections of body and replacing with lexan or something might be possible.

I believe you are searching for someone to say yes, but without the drone in front of them, it is impossible to say with any degree of certainty. And from that, I have not seen a Mini2 that would even come close to being Cat1.

My mini2, stock battery, SD card, and my non-compliant prop guards weigh 297.4g ready to fly. It is almost 50g too heavy to qualify for a cat1. And differences in Mini2 weight do not seem to be significant. My answer is, without significant weight reduction and possibly a lightweight battery, that NO, a MIni2 is not Cat1 possible. It is Cat2 though easily, then just needs a parachute to get below the kinetic energy requirement.
If my drone is under 250 and I add accessories and it goes over 250 then what? DJI mini 2 I want to put prop guards extended landing gear motor caps and possibly lights

If my drone is under 250 and I add accessories and it goes over 250 then what? DJI mini 2 I want to put prop guards extended landing gear motor caps and possibly lights

You probably need to consult your local rules on that, but if a sub 250g category makes flying easier there, and you add weight by any means to go 250g or over, you then need to (if flying strictly legal of course) go to the next level of pilot accreditation / registration etc.

Many here with mini drones say the sub 250g is a guide, their are actually 243g or whatever as an example.
Depends on your meaning of lights, simple strobe(s) or larger spotlight(s).
You might get a small strobe light (or 2 ?) for better sighting under VLOS on without going over (FHT / ViFly size), possibly some lightweight extended landing legs, but probably not the pro guards . . . an probably not a combination of the fist two.

In reality, most piloting situations never need prop guards, maybe for tight forest flying below canopy for trunk bumps at slow speed, or inside a home / building (where drone rules are not generally enforced), or perhaps flying close to people under some drone rules, that's about it.
Landing legs ? Easy to learn safe hand catching if terrain / vegetation is not drone friendly.
Small strobe ? If really needed, but yes, good to help you fly to a reasonable distance safely under VLOS, and keep a smaller drone location within sight in the sky.

There are certainly threads on the forum here about 'shaving' (literally) weight from mini drones and prop guards to make the whole package sub 250g, mostly to allow flight near people in SOME situations for specific country drone rules.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahb