DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

2 Zoom Caught Roofers nailing shingles over wood

silverdragon

Reactions

Testing out hyperlapse on the Mavic 2 Zoom cut the roofing bill in half. I actually thought they were going to lay the vaper paper on before the shingles, but no. The company owner apologized and save me $1300. I guess problems may occur in time without the vapor paper down before the shingles.

Last edited:

Testing out hyperlapse on the Mavic 2 Zoom cut the roofing bill in half. I actually thought they were going to lay the vaper paper on before the shingles, but no. The company owner apologized and save me $1300. I guess problems may occur in time without the vapor paper down before the shingles.

I work in the building industry (several decades now) and I would have required a removal and replacement with Felt or some type of high performance underlayment. Underlayment (felt, ice & water shield, Titanium etc) is an integral part of your roof system and can help eliminate/reduce water penetration for the life of the shingles. It's such a CHEAP and EASY item to apply (before the shingle of course) I can't imagine a company taking that kind of shortcut. If they skimp on underlayment I would question everything they do.

It's important to note in some areas roof underlayment is a required/coded portion of shingle to sheathing installation (not required when applying shingles over shingles but still suggested) and building inspectors can demand a removal and installation if it comes to light. You may have saved $1,300 today but at what cost for the future? Keep in mind that water penetration can be a slow to show problem and rot, mold, mildew can be a HUGE (and expensive) problem later down the road.

Also note that some shingle manufacturers require the underlayment to be installed for the warranty of their shingle. All it takes is one slight installation mistake and you have no warranty down the road should there be a shingle failure and this is regardless to the actual REASON for the failure. The shingle manufacturer would LOVE to not pay a claim due to "improper installation" by the roofing contractor.

In florida weather, I can assure you there'd be leaks and buckets in your future. The resulting repair (and inside damage to drywall, floors, etc) would cost you far more than that little rebate he gave you. I'd have it redone with proper underlayment.

That's pretty cool you caught them in the act. Drone just paid for itself :)

Reactions: dozzn and BigAl07
I see some sort of barrier.....black with "......BUILT" on it.......isn't that some sort of vapor barrier? It looks like they didn't overlap over the crown of the roof, though. I don't see bare wood other than on the extension as the bottom of the view.....what am I missing?

I see some sort of barrier.....black with "......BUILT" on it.......isn't that some sort of vapor barrier? It looks like they didn't overlap over the crown of the roof, though. I don't see bare wood other than on the extension as the bottom of the view.....what am I missing?

I admit I didn't watch the video until your post. Yes it appears there is an underlayment AND some type of Ice & Water Shield (different material around the areas near where gutters will be) which is a plus IMHO. I then watched the video on the Op's YT channel and saw his description which makes more sense:
I decided to try out hyperlapse and I notice that the roofers ran out of vaperpaper. They tried to shingle over wood. I got a hold of the outfits owner and he apologized and cut the bill in half.

So they ran out and didn't use it up near the Ridge Vent Area. I'm still completely uncomfortable with this if it were my home. Again warranty could be an issue.

I'll save you another £1300... Forget the shingle and just nail a tarp over your roof... Might not work but saved you money ;)

Have to agree with @BigAl07 here- you haven't "saved" any money, you've just created a costly problem in the future!

I'll save you another £1300... Forget the shingle and just nail a tarp over your roof... Might not work but saved you money ;)

Have to agree with @BigAl07 here- you haven't "saved" any money, you've just created a costly problem in the future!
Must agree.. But, just had my roof redone and my contractor explained that the actual shingles are mostly to protect the underlayment, which is the primary moisture barrier.

Reactions: BigAl07
Must agree.. But, just had my roof redone and my contractor explained that the actual shingles are mostly to protect the underlayment, which is the primary moisture barrier.

That's exactly right. I don't have shingles, I have concrete tiles. When you see those, it's obvious they are not there to protect against the rain at all.

From the Too Much Info Dept.: the weak point in roofs in FL isn't the tiles or the underlayment, but the flashing cement used between the paper and metal flashing around chimneys, toilet vent pipes, ridge/valley flashing, fans, dormers, etc. That flashing cement gets old, cracks, then permits leaks that cost you a new roof, even though the paper and shingles/tiles are fine. Knowledgeable buyers will ensure the roofer uses the more expensive "rubberized" flashing cement - in fact, this might be code down here now.

Reactions: Thomas B
I work in the building industry (several decades now) and I would have required a removal and replacement with Felt or some type of high performance underlayment. Underlayment (felt, ice & water shield, Titanium etc) is an integral part of your roof system and can help eliminate/reduce water penetration for the life of the shingles. It's such a CHEAP and EASY item to apply (before the shingle of course) I can't imagine a company taking that kind of shortcut. If they skimp on underlayment I would question everything they do.

It's important to note in some areas roof underlayment is a required/coded portion of shingle to sheathing installation (not required when applying shingles over shingles but still suggested) and building inspectors can demand a removal and installation if it comes to light. You may have saved $1,300 today but at what cost for the future? Keep in mind that water penetration can be a slow to show problem and rot, mold, mildew can be a HUGE (and expensive) problem later down the road.

Also note that some shingle manufacturers require the underlayment to be installed for the warranty of their shingle. All it takes is one slight installation mistake and you have no warranty down the road should there be a shingle failure and this is regardless to the actual REASON for the failure. The shingle manufacturer would LOVE to not pay a claim due to "improper installation" by the roofing contractor.
They placed the proper stuff down before the shingles but ran out of underlayment . So they are going to lift up what they were shy of place to underlayment down and it's done properly then. They are not going to Shyster me. Believe that.

They laid down vaper underlayment, they ran out at the top right. They shingled over the missing underlayment. So they are going to lift up the shingles that they laid over wood and put the vaper paper down then reshingle over the vaper paper. The job will be done correctly. $1300 is a good chunk of cash. To me anyway. I'm getting a 20 year warranty in writing. I'm shingling the roof as part of sale of the house. The new owner will get the transfer of warranty.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigAl07
They laid down vaper underlayment, they ran out at the top right. They shingled over the missing underlayment. So they are going to lift up the shingles that they laid over wood and put the vaper paper down then reshingle over the vaper paper. The job will be done correctly. $1300 is a good chunk of cash. To me anyway. I'm getting a 20 year warranty in writing. I'm shingling the roof as part of sale of the house. The new owner will get the transfer of warranty.

Those warrantees are worthless when those fly-by-night roofing companies disappear. I believe they get one expensive claim and just fold, and reopen under another name. Won't affect you any, and I'm sure the new owner will be tickled to have a new roof. But it's worth a little more $$ to go with a company with a history in the area. Perhaps you did, but given that video I just saw, I wonder.

Those warrantees are worthless when those fly-by-night roofing companies disappear. I believe they get one expensive claim and just fold, and reopen under another name. Won't affect you any, and I'm sure the new owner will be tickled to have a new roof. But it's worth a little more $$ to go with a company with a history in the area. Perhaps you did, but given that video I just saw, I wonder.
Your correct about the fly by nights but I dont have to worry about it because I just got word that the premises was sold and looking at the end of November to close. To me it's a win win because first of all it cost me $1300 less for the roof and the profit from the property. Now, I just have to fiqure on Which Drone to buy now.. I believe I deserve something nice from the stress associated with selling a home. I'm thinking of getting the Skydio X2....

Reactions: passedpawn
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunatico028