DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Celebrating my one hour of flight birthday in snow!

nikkolaa

Reactions
Hi folks,

So.., after keeping the MP warm and cosy at home, so long since Christmas, I finally managed during the past three weeks to get some time AND clement weather to fly a bit, basically getting used to it and basic buttons on the RC.

Two week-end ago I went skiing and realized it could have been such a good idea considering the not so low temperatures (1 to 4 degC) and almost no wind.
And a wide open area at bottom of the ski station...

So last Sunday, to celebrate my first accumulated hour of flight, I have bring it along with me hoping for same weather conditions.
Starting from "flying over people is out of the perimeter", I chose not to fly during skiing, well,, good enough knowing I did not even test the smart functions yet.. Next time hmmm

So I just went skiing for few hours and after having left with car, I stopped along the road on my way back down and had the flight
Temperature in the morning were lower this time (-8 to -4) but I decided to let batteries in the car (parked under full sun exposition), when I returned six hours later, they looked a bit cold but not so much, so I'll drive around 10min, with heater's exhausts orientated on batteries (more or less ok! [emoji4])

At drone switch on, battery in MP was at 19,4 degC, so no problem

So what about taking off in snow??? Do you have experience to share?

I forgot my foldable landing spot, and wondered if it was a good idea as I never land grabbing it with hands, taking off is ok even if quite fun to prepare the landing point as powder was 50cm high.

I finally realized MP was not so heavy as myself, so rough leveling of snow looked good enough to put MP on ground for preflight checklist

At this point, I simply "hope" wind conditions will not be changed so much that my reduced landing area would be too narrow to ensure very accurate final landing sequence

I had a short flight, around 15 min, my fingers were freezing (no refer to this as many other post about it already exists, thx), and all went fine, not even a high wind alarm,
I went 50m above landing point altitude, setting new record altitude at 1749m
Max distance : 146m

In the end, it looks like the same thing keeps happening, when about to land, wind's going crazy and MP fights to keep hovering with GPS and I just wait for the best opportunity!

Quite a long post for such an opening thread : did you guys already had some stories in snow about how it might go wrong, etc?

Cheers,
Nicolas

Reactions: joejaxvic123
Nice pictures but it’s making me cold just thinking about the temps you were flying in.

Similar story. Clear skies. Temp ~0°C, takeoff altitude 1650m, on top of a mountain.
Fog and wind was picking up and I had to return. At this point I was lower by 30m than starting point and 600m away...and lost connection. I was chicken **** since my RTH altitude was set to 100m. I was relieved when I could hear & see my drone above in that freezing, almost foggy moment.
But I set my altitude record to 1788 [emoji23]

Last edited by a moderator:
1518698287305.png

Where do you usually land in snow conditions?

Next time, I'll definitely prepare a larger landing point? [emoji4]

I generally hand catch . (with gloves) . . summer and winter. This method became more the norm after landing on pavement and getting some dust/dirt/sand in one of the motors resulting in return to DJI to get the sand out . . expensive and time consuming. Hand catch is relatively safe (with leather gloves) in all but high wind conditions. In high wind (20mph+) I use a foldable circular disc (3ft across) . . .photographer's reflector, black side up . . .weighted or staked to the ground or snow. . . last resort in difficult terrain I have come into a low hover 1-3 feet over grass or weeds and just hit CSC (combined stick command) and a drop of 1-2 feet is fine with some cushion of grass is ok. . would not suggest this into soft or wet snow though. . . maybe throw down my jacket first. . . there are solutions, if you plan ahead for unexpected conditions.

Always have an "alternate plan" for the times when the original plan fails and the attempt at PLAN B leaves you wishing you were already on the ground.

I generally hand catch . (with gloves) . . summer and winter. This method became more the norm after landing on pavement and getting some dust/dirt/sand in one of the motors resulting in return to DJI to get the sand out . . expensive and time consuming. Hand catch is relatively safe (with leather gloves) in all but high wind conditions. In high wind (20mph+) I use a foldable circular disc (3ft across) . . .photographer's reflector, black side up . . .weighted or staked to the ground or snow. . . last resort in difficult terrain I have come into a low hover 1-3 feet over grass or weeds and just hit CSC (combined stick command) and a drop of 1-2 feet is fine with some cushion of grass is ok. . would not suggest this into soft or wet snow though. . . maybe throw down my jacket first. . . there are solutions, if you plan ahead for unexpected conditions.

Always have an "alternate plan" for the times when the original plan fails and the attempt at PLAN B leaves you wishing you were already on the ground.
Well it was clear I forgot my foldable landing spot and will try not to reproduce it..

And the jacket was ready for plan b with csc !

Never tried catching him up, are your advice about wearing gloves coming from past (bad) experience?

Yes but the experience was while wearing gloves. Knitted/fleece gloves are not enough to prevent a bit of a "sting" . . close fitting stiff leather has worked better but . . . since changing my technique to grab a bit further forward resulted in never getting stung again. Grab it with the rotors not sunning and check how close they come to your fingers first! . . not a lot of room for error.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bullet_magnet