DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Cellular Data? & Landing sensors

m4v1c

Reactions
Hello!

So I mentioned in my eariler posts about my interesting of getting a iPad mini 4 cause it looks like it'll fit in the Mavic RC. Anyways, what is the benefit of purchasing cellular data? Seems like the ONLY things you need cellular data are "Follow Me Mode" and having access to live maps, correct? I like having access to maps, but how helpful/necessary is it (still a newbie drone pilot).

Do I need cellular data to update my home point?

Also, if the Mavic every crashes, are you able to use the RC GPS to track down where the drone crashed WITHOUT cellular data?

I have a Google Nexus 6p phone (using Tmobile LTE, there are many tethering apps on Android app store; will tethering from an Android device to the iPad mini 4 work? Wouldn't function the same as purchasing iPad mini cellular data?

Do I need cellular data to update my home point?
You can reset the home point to the Mavic's current location using any mobile device. However, you will need a GPS receiver in your mobile device if you'd like to reset the home point to your current location after taking off.

if the Mavic every crashes, are you able to use the RC GPS to track down where the drone crashed WITHOUT cellular data?
You can use the GPS location sent back from your Mavic if it crashes while the downlink is still connected. Otherwise, you'll need to use an external tracker if you would like to know the exact location after the downlink disconnects.

The data in the TXT flight log can often be used to track down the Mavic's location after the downlink disconnects. That involves making educated guesses based on the flight log data, so there are no guarantees.

will tethering from an Android device to the iPad mini 4 work?
That would only allow you to share the Internet connection. GPS data cannot be shared by tethering. If you're using a device without GPS, you could attach an external GPS receiver to it.

Reactions: m4v1c
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maviclake