DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Certificate of Authorization - First Time Question

Zee_Bass

Reactions
So I just got my first approval I've ever submitted approved. I'm visiting my in-laws who live at the beach near a Naval Base. Upon checking the air space I realized there would be no autonomous approvals so I submitted my application and got it back today.

After reviewing it there's a section in it and I was wondering if it is standard boiler plate wording or specific to this local.

Here it is with location specific info redacted:

3. COORDINATION AND COMMUNICATION REQUIREMENTS
a. Operator shall contact XXX Base Operations five (5) working days prior to schedule
proposed operations at xxx-270-XXXX and provide the following: COA Number and
requested time, duration, location, and altitude of the requested flight.
b. Operator shall contact XXX ATCT/Base Operations no less than sixty (60) minutes
prior to flight(s) to secure ATC permission to commence flight operations at xxx-270-
XXXX and confirm the following:
(1) COA number
(2) Primary telephone number of the pilot in command.
(3) Schedule of flight (time and duration)
(4) Location where flight will occur (coordinate and radius)
(5) Altitude
(6) Verify current weather (ceiling/visibility)
(7) Communication requirements
c. Operator may be required to maintain direct two-way radio communication with
ATC, and if required must comply. When necessary, the ATC frequency will be
provided to operator during the ATC notification call prior to flight.
d. Operator shall notify XXX ATCT/Base Operations immediately upon completion of
UAS flight operations at xxx-270-xxxx.
e. XXX ATCT/Base Operations may terminate, restrict, or delay UAS flight operations
covered by this Authorization at any time.

Reactions: pelagic_one
So I just got my first approval I've ever submitted approved. I'm visiting my in-laws who live at the beach near a Naval Base. Upon checking the air space I realized there would be no autonomous approvals so I submitted my application and got it back today.

After reviewing it there's a section in it and I was wondering if it is standard boiler plate wording or specific to this local.

Here it is with location specific info redacted:

3. COORDINATION AND COMMUNICATION REQUIREMENTS
a. Operator shall contact XXX Base Operations five (5) working days prior to schedule
proposed operations at xxx-270-XXXX and provide the following: COA Number and
requested time, duration, location, and altitude of the requested flight.
b. Operator shall contact XXX ATCT/Base Operations no less than sixty (60) minutes
prior to flight(s) to secure ATC permission to commence flight operations at xxx-270-
XXXX and confirm the following:
(1) COA number
(2) Primary telephone number of the pilot in command.
(3) Schedule of flight (time and duration)
(4) Location where flight will occur (coordinate and radius)
(5) Altitude
(6) Verify current weather (ceiling/visibility)
(7) Communication requirements
c. Operator may be required to maintain direct two-way radio communication with
ATC, and if required must comply. When necessary, the ATC frequency will be
provided to operator during the ATC notification call prior to flight.
d. Operator shall notify XXX ATCT/Base Operations immediately upon completion of
UAS flight operations at xxx-270-xxxx.
e. XXX ATCT/Base Operations may terminate, restrict, or delay UAS flight operations
covered by this Authorization at any time.
That would be specific to that airspace and is pretty high on the number of hoops they are making you jump through.

That would be specific to that airspace and is pretty high on the number of hoops they are making you jump through.
I went ahead and called today and email over my certificate of authorization. They told me just to call 5 days prior and then 60min prior to take off.

Well it’s good you don’t have to do the two-way radio thing. That’s a whole other can of worms
Yeah I specifically asked the guy on base I spoke with and he told me they had never done that before so no need to pack a radio.

Kind of crazy to have to call 60min ahead of time everytime I fly. Granted, it is an active navy base so I guess I see why and should be happy it's been pretty easy to get this all set up.

I had similar requirements, though not as restrictive, when working about 20 miles from an Air National Guard base. Nothing about the two-way radios, but they wanted me to call the base before flying, and be prepared that they might say no. I thought it was a strange requirement, as there was plenty of Class G airspace between me and the base. I had only applied for authorization because I planned to fly in Class D airspace around a small civilian airport.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wqb3