DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Change Aperture?

rizakayan

Reactions
As i see in exif datas, all mavic pro's have f2.2. Is this fixed? It's very bad, i generally never use the biggest aperture in a camera.

It is a fixed aperture camera, like the vast majority of phone cameras, sport cameras etc.

It's essentially a pinhole cellphone camera with no mechanical aperture (iris...), f/2.2 is what you get. I really wouldn't worry about possibly getting a sharper image by stopping down, I doubt it would make a difference.. look into ND filters if you're concerned about video motion blur, ND32 seems to be pretty close to the equivalent of 180 degree shutter angle on a sunny day...

As above, you can change the apparent aperture with ND filters.
Stays on f2.2 but the filters can help change other settings.
Yeah i know, but i think it would have made difference in sharpness. Compact camera's can change aperture and it makes difference.

Yeah i know, but i think it would have made difference in sharpness. Compact camera's can change aperture and it makes difference.

... not generally on these very small sensors though, and also usually with much better glass.

Size matters in these very small cameras and with the type of SoC used here it really isn't an option nor frankly of great benefit without changing everything else about the camera.

Step up to the P4P with a 1" sensor and you'll get variable aperture and there it makes sense. ... but... even there you will still end up using ND filters for video so you can stay in the sweet spot for sharpness of around f5.6...

Reactions: jcross and sonof40
... not generally on these very small sensors though, and also usually with much better glass.

Size matters in these very small cameras and with the type of SoC used here it really isn't an option nor frankly of great benefit without changing everything else about the camera.

Step up to the P4P with a 1" sensor and you'll get variable aperture and there it makes sense. ... but... even there you will still end up using ND filters for video so you can stay in the sweet spot for sharpness of around f5.6...
I hope mavic will be able to upgrade to that camera one day.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929