DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Charging dome question

spartanrob

Reactions
Just picked up the charging dome, or whatever it’s called, not necessary but pretty cool. For those of you that have it, do you leave the USB magnetic charging port in the drone or take it out every time. Worried what it may do to the weight

Just got mine today. Very cool for display and charging. Still thinking about this, your question. It weighs less than 1 gm and would help to protect the USB port on the MM. I have not found the need to use the MM USB port for charging as I charge my batteries with the brick. I also purchased another (4th) battery to add to my rotation, so one will be stored in the aircraft. I am not sure the magnet will interfer with flight operation. While it is a tight fit in the USB port, I would not want to lose it. The more I think about it, will probably not use it in flight, but keep it with the "dome".

Just got mine today. Very cool for display and charging. Still thinking about this, your question. It weighs less than 1 gm and would help to protect the USB port on the MM. I have not found the need to use the MM USB port for charging as I charge my batteries with the brick. I also purchased another (4th) battery to add to my rotation, so one will be stored in the aircraft. I am not sure the magnet will interfer with flight operation. While it is a tight fit in the USB port, I would not want to lose it. The more I think about it, will probably not use it in flight, but keep it with the "dome".
Did you find it hard to remove? worried it may do some damage.

Also, are you leaving one battery in the drone at all times? fully charged?

Last edited:
Not hard to remove, but a tight fit to get a good grasp. If I was out in the field and found some reason (?) to take it out, I could see it flying out of "my" hands and lose it. About same difficulty/risk, if I had to remove the SD card. Y'know, fingers getting in the way.

Reactions: spartanrob
Not hard to remove, but a tight fit to get a good grasp. If I was out in the field and found some reason (?) to take it out, I could see it flying out of "my" hands and lose it. About same difficulty/risk, if I had to remove the SD card. Y'know, fingers getting in the way.
Also, are you leaving one battery in the drone at all times? fully charged?

Regarding the battery. I have 7 batteries for my Mavic Air. Now 4 for my MM. Not unusual for me to leave a battery in the drone, from time to time. I am usually good about discharging batteries to storage level. Don't really like to leave fully charged batteries around. Enjoy your flying.

Reactions: spartanrob
you should not be storing batteries fully charged for any length of time, in any thing, its best just to charge them up the evening before you intend to fly if possible,,and then after use if you do not intend to fly for some time then charge them back up to storage level

Just picked up the charging dome, or whatever it’s called, not necessary but pretty cool. For those of you that have it, do you leave the USB magnetic charging port in the drone or take it out every time. Worried what it may do to the weight
it is recommended by DJI to remove it before flying ...

you should not be storing batteries fully charged for any length of time, in any thing, its best just to charge them up the evening before you intend to fly if possible,,and then after use if you do not intend to fly for some time then charge them back up to storage level
Storage level is around 60% correct?

Reactions: old man mavic
Storage level is around 60% correct?
according to the manual storage level is 39% to 75% so 60% would be fine,as has been mentioned, the MM batteries do not self discharge, DJI recommend discharging to storage level if not used after 10 days

Thanks All.

Want to confirm one other thing. Pressing and holding the button on the back of the base completely turns off charging (not just the light) correct?

If you are worried that inserting and removing the magnet over and over again might cause damage to the MM... then simply insert the magnet and place a small amount of silicone glue to ensure it wont fall out during flights... and if you ever do need to remove the magnet the silicone glue is easy to peel off.... just my 2 cents...

Reactions: DJake_2000
I would not lave anything magnetic on the drone during flight ops.
I agree. It is a strong magnet that attaches quite firmly to another magnet in the charging base. For me, it is better to keep it with the charging unit.

Here's an interesting link to the care and operation of the Mavic Mini Charging Dome..
Only 6 minutes, I found it very helpful. I am in no way affiliated with Drone Valley.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: easyheimer
Here's an interesting link to the care and operation of the Mavic Mini Charging Dome..
Only 6 minutes, I found it very helpful. I am in no way affiliated with Drone Valley.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
I wish they made something similar for the Mavic Pro. This is a really cool idea for showing off your drone while charging.

I have this base and it stopped working after 2days
Sorry to hear that. I have had mine since they came out. Has been plugged in with no concerns. The dome power button is always on, drone light (top) only when displayed. You may have a defective one. Troubleshoot; try new power source, press power button on/off, find receipt. Others may wish to weigh in.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FollyRJ