DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Charging of Mavic 2 batteries from portable power bank

If by "this scheme" you mean the 20W solar, no it won't work by itself. Not enough power. You may get the voltage right, but you won't have the current capacity to maintain it.

With an interim storage battery, you can get a reserve to satisfy the power required.

Think of it this way: you have a garden hose flow of water connected to a fire hose. By itself, the garden hose can't satisfy the fire hose, just not enough pressure or capacity. But if you fill a large bucket with the garden hose, then you might be able to use the fire hose with the bucket. It will take you much longer to fill the bucket with the garden hose compared to how fast the fire hose empties it.

So it may take a few hours for the panel to sufficiently charge the power bank with enough power to be able to charge one M2 battery in an hour.

The 14V is ideal voltage. It will work as low as 11.2v. The current rating may be maximum instantaneous current and not average current. The charger is likely a switching power supply that rapidly turns itself on and off to maintain the output voltage.

Last edited:
Reactions: Inspirephil
Y
If by "this scheme" you mean the 20W solar, no it won't work by itself. Not enough power. You may get the voltage right, but you won't have the current capacity to maintain it.

With an interim storage battery, you can get a reserve to satisfy the power required.

Think of it this way: you have a garden hose flow of water connected to a fire hose. By itself, the garden hose can't satisfy the fire hose, just not enough pressure or capacity. But if you fill a large bucket with the garden hose, then you might be able to use the fire hose with the bucket. It will take you much longer to fill the bucket with the garden hose compared to how fast the fire hose empties it.

So it may take a few hours for the panel to sufficiently charge the power bank with enough power to be able to charge one M2 battery in an hour.

The 14V is ideal voltage. It will work as low as 11.2v. The current rating may be maximum instantaneous current and not average current. The charger is likely a switching power supply that rapidly turns itself on and off to maintain the output voltage.
Thanks for your reply. Yeah, a solar panel won't work by itself because the power is only 20W (20V and 1A current strength).
But I asked if that powerbank (not a solar panel) can charge the mavic 2 battery with properly chosen voltage on DC output (let's say 14V) or not. No matter, how that powerbank was charged. In the previous message you said that 50W is on the low side for M2 battery.
I asked just to be sure that 50W (the powerbank's power) is not enough. So either the M2 battery will charge for ages or won't charge at all. Is that right?
My M2 car charger takes [email protected].
So maybe more powerful powerbanks are needed than abovementioned one...
Thank you!

Reactions: Inspirephil
Current draw may be less than 6.5A, but gets you in the ballpark.
A test someone did on YouTube measured about 6A down to under 12V when the battery actually started changing.

If your power bank can't supply 6A at around 12 - 14, then it won't work. 6A@12v is 72W so you need at least that even if you step up/down the voltage, which means less/more current on the power bank side.

Reactions: mavicflyermax
This pack charges everything at the same time. I think the specs say 3 to 5 charges , but to date I have only done 2 charges on a outing. since I have 3 batteries that will give me almost 2 hours flight time. I believe the charging estimate is based off of the batteries having 20-30% charge left when placed in the charger. It will also depend on the temperature of your operating environment when using. They work great for me though. This pack is for the M2, but they make them for the MP, MA, Spark and others also.

For the cost of one battery you can't beat it..

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HVM4R95/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Review:
smatree mavic 2 pro portable charging station - Bing video
It's amazing that something so big, bulky and expensive only has a 10,000mAh capacity.

It's amazing that something so big, bulky and expensive only has a 10,000mAh capacity.
For less than the price of a single Mavic 2 battery I don't think it is expensive at all. I do agree with the size of the charger you would expect a larger battery. On a full day job last summer I got 4 batteries charged (from around 20%) on a single charge of the Smatree. So with three batteries and the Smatree I had over two hours flight time. I have moved on to the Evo 2 Pro now, I hope Smatree comes out with a system for the Evo 2. The battery would need to be at least twice the capacity to even consider it though.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d