DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Charging phone while connected to controller

There is a setting in Go 4, but it only applies to Apple iOS devices. Unfortunately it doesn't work - or actually appear in latest Go 4 - running on Android devices. I always use a fully charged Android phone, and turn off WiFi & bluetooth.

Reactions: IgorD2
There is a setting in Go 4, but it only applies to Apple iOS devices. Unfortunately it doesn't work - or actually appear in latest Go 4 - running on Android devices. I always use a fully charged Android phone, and turn off WiFi & bluetooth.
Ok thanks, I'm using a Samsung s8 I usually turn it to flight mode, but the controller seems to discharge quickly compared to my P3P.

It may not make any difference, but have you tried using a cable from the USB-A port in the bottom of the controller, to your Samsung (the charging cable that came with it would do the job), to see if that makes a difference???
Note that you'll need to disconnect the DJI supplied data cable from the side micro-USB port on the controller if you do this - otherwise it just doesn't connect.

It may not make any difference, but have you tried using a cable from the USB-A port in the bottom of the controller, to your Samsung (the charging cable that came with it would do the job), to see if that makes a difference???
Note that you'll need to disconnect the DJI supplied data cable from the side micro-USB port on the controller if you do this - otherwise it just doesn't connect.
Yes I only use the bottom usb port, I bought a short cable with a 90' bend.

How old is your S8? It seems a bit strange that it's needing to be topped up at that rate ...
One idea I have used myself while doing hover tests (flight duration tests for different prop's), was to use a USB power brick connected into the micro-USB side port of the controller while I was doing the flying. That kept the controller topped up ... Not tidy, but it does work very well! I did 2.5 batteries on my mavic with the controller dropping about 10% ...

Reactions: dmac1
How old is your S8? It seems a bit strange that it's needing to be topped up at that rate ...
One idea I have used myself while doing hover tests (flight duration tests for different prop's), was to use a USB power brick connected into the micro-USB side port of the controller while I was doing the flying. That kept the controller topped up ... Not tidy, but it does work very well! I did 2.5 batteries on my mavic with the controller dropping about 10% ...
Yes good idea, bit clumsy, but I could see that would work. Thanks

I have an S8+. It sucks the controller dry. I have done a lot of searching. I haven't found a very good plan. Flying with a power bank is about it. I try to fly with a full phone when possible

Reactions: Markjenkins5515
Is there a setting to prevent the controller charging the phone when connected. It seems that the controller battery is losing its charge very quickly.
It's in the battery settings on the s8. Just turn off quick charge while your flying. The only other way is getting a battery pack or hacking your phone to use them apps in Google store that stops usb charging.

buy a apple XR, or a dedicated Ipod.
but then i tend to have everything fully charged before i walk out of the house, and can top off in the pu as necessary.
if your phone can not handel holding a charge. time to think about buying a new one. not a used, or recon unit.

Tried everything on my S9+ apart from messing around with removing pins In lead, bottom socket still no cure.So just forked out on Smart remote ,expensive solution.

buy a apple XR, or a dedicated Ipod.
but then i tend to have everything fully charged before i walk out of the house, and can top off in the pu as necessary.
if your phone can not handel holding a charge. time to think about buying a new one. not a used, or recon unit.

It nothing to with holding a charge, it everything about not being fully charged. Which as much as we use our phones for, they are never fully charged except the moment they come off a charger.

But I digress. I have never heard about someone flying on an iPod. have you done that?

I use an S6 and haven't exerienced any problems, but I tried the power bank idea and it didn't work. Apparently, I had things connected wrong though. I had the power bank plugged into the USB on the bottom of the controller. Will try it your way.

If it works well, I'd think one could velcro the power bank to the bottom of the phone via double sided tape.

Only on SAMSUNG S9 EVEN IF FULLY CHARGED WHICH I HAVE TO DO ONLY MANAGE 3 MAVIC PRO BATTERIE S IN COLD weather Have used power brick it helps but a bit untidy have also reduced the charging rate on the phone but unlike I phones cannot completely switch off charging rate

I use my Note 8 and RC will last almost 3 batteries as well before needing charged. But since I just got the lovely "bad cell" message on battery #3 I guess I'm out of juice all the way around anyway and call it quites for the day...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suilven