DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Cheap Strobe mod

netsonic

Reactions
Hello friends,
Last week I flew my Mini in the park on a sunny day with clear skies. Everything was fabulous until I lost VLOS with the drone, even if it was not far or too high. The Mini with its gray color does blend in very nice with the sky and you can just lose it. Long story short, at 100-120m distance and 45-60 m altitude the AC was invisible in the sky. I see the image on the screen, but cannot see the drone in the sky. By definition, this is loosing visual line of sight as it's in front of you but camouflaged. :)

I was thinking about how to overcome this in such a way that allows me to get this done cheap and fast. The only options I could come up to reuse so bicycle lights. Cheap would be about 10-20 USD. And fast means 1-3 days, not waiting for month for AliExpress or any gadget site. Third requirement is to be able to mount it on the mini without too many extras. Ideally would be to be able to snap it on off.

First option - use a butchered down LED position stop light. Butchered because I wished to get rid of every extra weight that was not needed. This leaves me with the electronics board with 3 light patterns (Solid, blink slow and blink fast) and the battery holder as these are powered by 2x CR2032 batteries. Total extra weight about 9 grams. This is applied on the mini with Double-Sided Adhesive Tape.

ZjVuaqG.jpg
eh8okAl.jpg

No pictures as it's just ugly. :)

Second option - rechargeable bicycle LED stop light. Assembled it has 15 grams. Can be hold in place by a rubber band. Total weight of the aircraft with this is 264 gram. The benefit if it's rechargeable, is that you just plug it in and it will be hassle free. Has 4 light patterns (3x blink + solid)
M4JAksE.jpg

Third option - same bicycle light type but White, without the plastic enclosure. Stripped down it has a mere 5 grams. It can be attached to the mini via 2 rubber bands over the belly.

hhK8Q73.jpg

Forth option - combination between the second and the third. Red Tail light and while belly light. Total Aircraft weight is 269-270 grams.
nLcnzkk.jpg

It's currently dark outside, so I went out and tested it in the open. Is visible from below and when the aircraft is flying away from you. I've noticed that when it flies towards you, the tilt is hiding the lights in sports mode. This is the reason why a 3 or maybe a 4 light strobe combination might be visible from very angle.

Alternatives:
- connect all 4 electronic boards to a single battery. This would allow for visibility on each leg with maybe 10 grams total weight.
- add a white strobe in the front, etc.

I guess that you can extrapolate this and maybe find a cheap solution in your city.If you have any additional ideas please share them below.

Total cost was 60 ron (15 USD) for all 4 rechargeable bicycle lights. As for the type of those, I believe that they are these (SHENKEY-RED and maybe SHENKEY-WHITE)

Last edited:
here is my version using lume cube anti collision light combined with my new landing legs that lift the drone up off the groundFHD0016.JPGFHD0006.JPG

I know that one @Jimbosmith. The Strobon is only visible from the back. My mod is visible from below and when the aircraft is flying away from you.
The ultimate goal is to make it visible from all 4 sides.

Here is my take on strobe for my mm, attached with velcroed over SD card slot so as to angle down slightly very visible in day light (Firehouse ARC with 4 cree lights)
I use the FH ARC strobes on my M2Z. A white one on the bottom just behind the gimbal, and a red one mounted on one of the rear arms.
You can see these from very far away.

I use Firehouse cree lights on my MA and MM. They are bright, lightweight and rechargable. I am happy with them as they can be seen from a great distance and aid in orientation day or night. Good to see many options and creativity. Enjoy your flying.

I use 4 firehouse ARC Strobes on my drones and the Lume Cube Anti Collision Strobe on top. I can see it very far away.
I also have the Lume Cube Flood Lights I can point down on my Mavic 2 Pro and they can light up the ground from 70 feet up, But they would be too heavy for the Mini. :)

Reactions: netsonic
Cycle handle bar lights. The inserts are small and light. You can use sticky back velcro to attach it to MM.

Attachments

• 15784268127506856672509052439308.jpg
    15784268127506856672509052439308.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 112
  • 15784268357592112533122762613252.jpg
    15784268357592112533122762613252.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 113
I like the strobe idea but they are very expensive. The home make versions of bicycle strobes make more economic sense as they are on eBay for as little as $6. I just purchased a couple to use on my Ebike and will see if they will work on the drones also.

Hello friends,
Last week I flew my Mini in the park on a sunny day with clear skies. Everything was fabulous until I lost VLOS with the drone, even if it was not far or too high. The Mini with its gray color does blend in very nice with the sky and you can just lose it. Long story short, at 100-120m distance and 45-60 m altitude the AC was invisible in the sky. I see the image on the screen, but cannot see the drone in the sky. By definition, this is loosing visual line of sight as it's in front of you but camouflaged. :)

I was thinking about how to overcome this in such a way that allows me to get this done cheap and fast. The only options I could come up to reuse so bicycle lights. Cheap would be about 10-20 USD. And fast means 1-3 days, not waiting for month for AliExpress or any gadget site. Third requirement is to be able to mount it on the mini without too many extras. Ideally would be to be able to snap it on off.

First option - use a butchered down LED position stop light. Butchered because I wished to get rid of every extra weight that was not needed. This leaves me with the electronics board with 3 light patterns (Solid, blink slow and blink fast) and the battery holder as these are powered by 2x CR2032 batteries. Total extra weight about 9 grams. This is applied on the mini with Double-Sided Adhesive Tape.

ZjVuaqG.jpg
eh8okAl.jpg

No pictures as it's just ugly. :)

Second option - rechargeable bicycle LED stop light. Assembled it has 15 grams. Can be hold in place by a rubber band. Total weight of the aircraft with this is 264 gram. The benefit if it's rechargeable, is that you just plug it in and it will be hassle free. Has 4 light patterns (3x blink + solid)
M4JAksE.jpg

Third option - same bicycle light type but White, without the plastic enclosure. Stripped down it has a mere 5 grams. It can be attached to the mini via 2 rubber bands over the belly.

hhK8Q73.jpg

Forth option - combination between the second and the third. Red Tail light and while belly light. Total Aircraft weight is 269-270 grams.
nLcnzkk.jpg

It's currently dark outside, so I went out and tested it in the open. Is visible from below and when the aircraft is flying away from you. I've noticed that when it flies towards you, the tilt is hiding the lights in sports mode. This is the reason why a 3 or maybe a 4 light strobe combination might be visible from very angle.

Alternatives:
- connect all 4 electronic boards to a single battery. This would allow for visibility on each leg with maybe 10 grams total weight.
- add a white strobe in the front, etc.

I guess that you can extrapolate this and maybe find a cheap solution in your city.If you have any additional ideas please share them below.

Total cost was 60 ron (15 USD) for all 4 rechargeable bicycle lights. As for the type of those, I believe that they are these (SHENKEY-RED and maybe SHENKEY-WHITE)
here is my version using lume cube anti collision light combined with my new landing legs that lift the drone up off the groundView attachment 89999View attachment 90013
I found a small strobe that clips on the bottom of a MM. I don't know how effective it will be as I just ordered it. Can;t beat the price, $10.00 Dealer is MisschrisyCo on Etsy

In general I think you get what you pay for. All of these lights will be visible in the dark its in the light against a gray sky or green trees or bright earth that counts. The Firehouse 4 led units are 600 lumens, rechargeable and last up to 6 hours. They have fast strobe, slow double blink and on modes. The on mode with white on the bottom inside a dark building allows the Mini's vision system to take off. Velcro works well.

Ok, this is what i've just tried. Strapped 4 bicycle strobes on the 4 legs. Weight went up by 60 gram.
1578776342088.png

It's visible for all sides, regardless of the flight pattern (to/from) the operator. Videos below.

Additional observations:
a)
Flight time sucked. First takeoff was without phone, just to be able to film. Then I've landed to change the light pattern for the rear red lights to fast blink.
When I was done, I've landed again and connected the phone. Used 40% of the battery (from 70% to 30%) in approximate 7 minutes. Just doing the math, it's 17.5 minutes flight time per battery. Sure I've had it in sport, as power was needed and it's eating 10% every 90 seconds.

Screenshot from airdata
1578777161593.png

b) The mini detected the extra weight and went into Payload mode by itself. When I went into the settings (H) it was close to the max altitude of that mode of 30 meters. Then after disabling payload mode in the app, it did not revert to re-enable it while it was in the air. This is interesting, as I assume that if it detects the weight after takeoff, you will go into the settings disable it and continue to fly with the aircraft loaded (prop guards, lights, etc).

c) Ease of setup and overall need. Now honestly, 4 lights are nice to have, but completely overkill. One white strobe on the belly would be perfect. As I do not fly too high, one on top does not make any sense. i loved that you can attach them with the included rubber rings on the legs. Detaching is also very simple.

d) There is always someone stupid trying to prove that he/she is. While flying, someone tried to point a green laser to the drone. I say tried as it was from couple hundred meters away and it's very hard to point a laser to a moving object that flies in zigzag. Nevertheless, it happens. Turning the drone with the back to the laser beam is my safety measure to protect the camera sensor.

Reactions: WooZie
I found a small strobe that clips on the bottom of a MM. I don't know how effective it will be as I just ordered it. Can;t beat the price, $10.00 Dealer is MisschrisyCo on Etsy
it is only the clip mount, not strobe included
Yep, sorry to be misleading. My old age comprehension is getting worse. It's made to use the flytron strobon. You can get it on Amazon. About $27.00

Reactions: WooZie
Believe it or not, that weird accessory for the Mini that everyone is going WTF? about, the Snap Adapter, actually makes a pretty good strobe for night flying. At least it's good enough for my purposes:

After several flights I have to say that this is good for about 200 m on daylight. Once exceeded, it becomes invisible as the Mini is just a small dot on the sky. The strobe pointing down is visible perfectly in the 0-120m range of max flight altitude.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidt2