DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Cheap tablet? Cell phone screen too small!

Wow, hard to beat. Does that have GPS on it? I didn't think the 8" screen fits with the controller?
No GPS, really dont need it. The" Mavmount" is the adapter that fits in the controller and you mount the tablet to it

Reactions: looopson
The new iPad is pretty cheap, not Android though. 360 for a Wi-Fi only device.

+1 for Nexus 7 2nd gen -- inexpensive and reliable in my usage.

I use a Nexus 7 and a Galaxy Note 7. Since you have Android already I would stick with Android. If you buy an app on Android at least it will be available across all your devices.

I tether my phone to the tablet to maintain connectivity.

No GPS, really dont need it. The" Mavmount" is the adapter that fits in the controller and you mount the tablet to it

Okay, I thought your phone has to be connected to GPS when flying the Mavic. I guess it has it's own built-in GPS. This explains why you can leave it in airplane mode on your phone when you're controlling it? I know that in airplane mode, GPS is disabled (at least on my Samsung Galaxy S7)

I've just bought an Amazon Kindle Fire 7" tablet for US$40. It needs some tweaking and I haven't tested it yet, but I was previously using an LG L90, which could work, although it crashed a lot. This might be the cheapest new tablet for the Mavic. Seems like Phantom pilots have been using it for a while.

I run a MavMount with a Nextbook Ares 8" tablet. It has an HDMI out port so I can FPV with my Headplay goggles. The tablet is about $40 bucks at Walmart and has worked flawlessly with the Go app
I just bought the same tablet but camera doesnt show image. Could you help me figure this out

Been using 2 years now works great no lag very happy
Acer Iconia One B1 780 Model A6004 it is $99 Canadian so about $10 US and it has a built in GPS I have been using for about 2 months now app has never crashed. Use usb on bottom and bought a swivel usb and a 90 for about $5
0e10d11d925846015060455f11b5902a.jpg

8df877f4a2d4308a9e92b3546348c76b.jpg

I'm late to this party but if you're looking to buy a tablet/phone I highly recommend Tablets For Sale

No, I'm not associated with the site in any way.

With phones costing $800-$1200 new I resorted to buying used 1-2 year old phones to save. I've bought several used phones for my wife on Amazon which was kind of a pain, as the description didn't match the phone or the phone had a fault which was not mentioned. You're fully protected with Amazon but it would take 1-2 returns before we got a good one. A few months ago my Note 5 gave up and an associate from work mentioned Swappa to me and said it was specifically made for used electronic devices. I gave it a shot to buy a Note 8 and the entire experience was great. The shipping is not as fast as Amazon (unless you spend a little extra) but the phone I got was great.

Now, what makes Swappa better IMO is that the descriptions are spot on, and the vendor takes photos of the EXACT phone they're going to ship you. So if a phone says "Like new, minor scratches" you can take at a look for yourself and see if the damage is acceptable to you. They use Paypal for transactions and their policies, processes, and webpage all seem well thought out.

As a counter, E-bay is also an excellent site to buy used but they're primary focus is not used electronics.

Media tab 3 8" 2gb ram stripped back works brilliantly no problems.under £100...

Has anyone purchased a cheap tablet computer for the sole purpose of operating their drone and what would you recommend?
Thanks!

If you're not an Apple guy try the Nvidia Shield tablet. I've been using it since the P2, P3A, and now with the Mavic. I use "Shut App" to close hidden apps before I start, then start a screen recorder and boot up the Mavic remote and wait for the popup asking what app I want to use and choose "this time only" or something like that and I haven't had any crashes using the LItchi app. The Go4 app was crashing a couple of times until I got rid of some non-used apps I should have never put on there anyway. Seems to be stable now plus it has an HDMI out if you want to also use goggles or another monitor so the neighbors can watch.

I don't know if you can call it "cheap" at $200 but it's cheap compared to the fruity tablets.
[/QUOTE]
I have tried several "Cheap" android devices without much luck. I HAVE found that any "Octa-Core" or better android device works well. I am now using a rooted Moto X Pure ($99 on eBay refurbished) as a dedicated drone device with most all "stock" apps disabled and a 64gb U3 sdcard for on-device capture. Works GREAT!

The second most liked on the Android list is the Amazon Fire. It is also the cheapest. I used a 7 Inch fire on my Phantom 4 and it worked great. I have a ten-inch for the soon to come, Mavic Pro. You can get the small fire for less than fifty and sometimes at 35 like I did.

My cell phone screen (cell phone is a Samsung Galaxy S7) is too small in DJI Pro -- I need a larger screen! Maybe I'm just losing my sight and I'm hard of seeing but I would really like to find a cheap tablet running the Android system that I could use for the sole purpose of operating my Mavic Pro. I figure that I've spent enough on this so I'm trying to keep cost down but I also want something that is reliable and won't crash. Has anyone purchased a cheap tablet computer for the sole purpose of operating their drone and what would you recommend?

Thanks!
Make the investment in the Ipad Mini 4th gen. I had an Android phone and it sucked as a viewing platform. The Ipad Mini changed all that, and it was relatively cheap in the long run.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BHU