DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Check in New York City

Reactions: NelAir and BigAl07
Fantastic view!

Why would it be illegal if it shows all clear on KittyApp and B4UFly & DJI APP?

For starters, the DJI App is in no way able to be used as a reference for the legality of a flight. DJI sometimes lets you know that a TFR exists in an area, but the absence of a warning doesn't indicate that it's legal to fly in a location.

Next, that photo shows that the flight was clearly above 400 feet AGL, the maximum permissible altitude for UAS flights in the US (except for Part 107 pilots outside of controlled airspace, who remain within 400 feet of a structure >400 feet tall). You can easily tell this is >400 feet based on the similar altitude of One World Trade Center, which peaks out at around 1776 feet.

Also, that flight is over the Hudson River, and thus is taking place in the Hudson River SFRA. This is a highly trafficked air corridor next to Manhattan where the FAA has set forth special rules for operation in Part 93. If the drone is actually flying around 1776 feet, that is also firmly in Class B airspace at that location, which runs from 1300 feet to 7000 feet.

Also, this location does not show "all clear" on KittyHawk:

Screenshot_20210218-120414_Kittyhawk.jpg

For starters, the DJI App is in no way able to be used as a reference for the legality of a flight. DJI sometimes lets you know that a TFR exists in an area, but the absence of a warning doesn't indicate that it's legal to fly in a location.

Next, that photo shows that the flight was clearly above 400 feet AGL, the maximum permissible altitude for UAS flights in the US (except for Part 107 pilots outside of controlled airspace, who remain within 400 feet of a structure >400 feet tall). You can easily tell this is >400 feet based on the similar altitude of One World Trade Center, which peaks out at around 1776 feet.

Also, that flight is over the Hudson River, and thus is taking place in the Hudson River SFRA. This is a highly trafficked air corridor next to Manhattan where the FAA has set forth special rules for operation in Part 93. If the drone is actually flying around 1776 feet, that is also firmly in Class B airspace at that location, which runs from 1300 feet to 7000 feet.

View attachment 124030
But other than those small "technicalities" it appears to be a legal flight (in 2021 standards)? LOL

• Haha
Reactions: dawgpilot

View attachment 124030
Wow! Thank you for that detailed reply. I was assuming he was below 400ft. I am from New York myself, but rarely go to Manhattan, so I didn’t realize the restriction in that specific area. I only checked downtown where there is a small area that has no restrictions. Your answer made me happy that I joined this forum because I’m always willing to learn new things. Thanks again mate!

Reactions: BigAl07
Wow! Thank you for that detailed reply. I was assuming he was below 400ft. I am from New York myself, but rarely go to Manhattan, so I didn’t realize the restriction in that specific area. I only checked downtown where there is a small area that has no restrictions. Your answer made me happy that I joined this forum because I’m always willing to learn new things. Thanks again mate!

In case you weren't aware, a very old city law also claims to ban drones through NYC limits as well (with a couple exceptions such as designated RC Aircraft flying fields in city parks). But that would be a enforcement issue with the NYPD, not with the FAA.

(See NYC Administrative Code § 10-126)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mavic 3 classic User