DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Checked your props?

Starz

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Having a bit of an issue with the one I have. Please check your front props for chips on the ends and post results. Also make what sounds like a clicking noise when they hit the arm. Trying to determine if I’m the Lone Ranger.
TIA.
One other known to date.

Last edited:
My theory is the mini has really weak front arms that twist easily and can cause a prop strike
Just grab the motor and you can see it will twist without any effort, they put that stupid foam filler piece in order to save weight , but it does nothing structurally.
You'll notice the rear arms have plastic inserts to improve the stiffness.

With many flight cycles the plastic on the front arms will weaken further and your prop strikes could get worse.
Have you also checked the props for any deformity

Were you flying in high winds, have you crashed before ?

This is how some people have remedy the issue

Last edited:
Reactions: Ron (MM)
Dang it I'm going to end up having to buy one of those printers sometime. That looks like a great idea, problem solved

I’m not a sport mode fan. Prop damage on the last set of props was during a trip around the usual area flight. No wind.

My theory is the mini has really weak front arms that twist easily and can cause a prop strike
Just grab the motor and you can see it will twist without any effort, they put that stupid foam filler piece in order to save weight , but it does nothing structurally.
You'll notice the rear arms have plastic inserts to improve the stiffness.

With many flight cycles the plastic on the front arms will weaken further and your prop strikes could get worse.
Have you also checked the props for any deformity

Were you flying in high winds, have you crashed before ?

This is how some people have remedy the issue

The only thing other than my fingers that the props have touched is air. Not even a bug. No deformities. No wind. If the wind blows, I get out the I2 or the p4p’s. Flight time is probably less than thirty. Can’t check that until I get it back from DJI. And no, no crash of any kind. Not even a bad landing. Whatever this is, finger cant be pointing my direction.

Dang it I'm going to end up having to buy one of those printers sometime. That looks like a great idea, problem solved
Could probably get a similar result by just adding a flat piece of plastic instead of all the material they 3d’ed inside where the foam was. Basically build the arm into a box beam. The 3D piece looks too heavy for me.
Just the added rigidity of the box beam may be the answer.

Rodger, I'd rather a lightweight addon that would not void my 3-year warranty

I’m not a sport mode fan. Prop damage on the last set of props was during a trip around the usual area flight. No wind.
Aside from propeller damage I am not a fan of sport mode either sometimes. Boy does it put a lot of stress on the batteries (as expected) and consistently gives me a low voltage warning (battery is completely fine its just sport mode sucks the life out of them).

Could probably get a similar result by just adding a flat piece of plastic instead of all the material they 3d’ed inside where the foam was. Basically build the arm into a box beam. The 3D piece looks too heavy for me.
Just the added rigidity of the box beam may be the answer.
@Starz like your thinking , i had my first prop strike when i was flying, heard the clicking noise and the motor sound changed no warnings on screen, was about 150 ft away at the time when i landed i could see that the tip of the prop had hit the front of the body and torn the skin i have on slightly near the very edge ,happened once more on a later flight prop had slight damage to its leading edge, just sanded it off and did the other one as well ,after reading your idea, i thought what could i use to stiffen the front arms that was strong and light ,well after some thought, i came up with an old credit card, and the size across the width is just right to fill the back of the arm ,so after cutting one down to size i superglued it to the back of the arm and now the front arms are as stiff as the rear ones, i left the foam in place didn't see any point in removing it and next time i get to fly it will be interesting to see if it has made any difference, not really worried about care refresh and if i ever did have to use it i could always try and peel the card part off and see what i am left with FHD0025.JPGFHD0027.JPG

Reactions: Capt KO and TDZHDTV
As this goes along, will be interesting to see the number of folks with the same issue. I’m still thinking that this all boils down to the flexibility of the front arms. Everyone keep in mind, the screws for the props tend to get bent in this process of them hitting something.

@Starz like your thinking , i had my first prop strike when i was flying, heard the clicking noise and the motor sound changed no warnings on screen, was about 150 ft away at the time when i landed i could see that the tip of the prop had hit the front of the body and torn the skin i have on slightly near the very edge ,happened once more on a later flight prop had slight damage to its leading edge, just sanded it off and did the other one as well ,after reading your idea, i thought what could i use to stiffen the front arms that was strong and light ,well after some thought, i came up with an old credit card, and the size across the width is just right to fill the back of the arm ,so after cutting one down to size i superglued it to the back of the arm and now the front arms are as stiff as the rear ones, i left the foam in place didn't see any point in removing it and next time i get to fly it will be interesting to see if it has made any difference, not really worried about care refresh and if i ever did have to use it i could always try and peel the card part off and see what i am left with View attachment 91978View attachment 91983
Please keep us posted on the results. I have not had the problem yet but I'm sure I will.

Reactions: old man mavic
I don't believe DJI will do a recall until somebody gets hurt from the problem. Hard to believe that this did not show up in pre-testing. In a hurry for Christmas

Reactions: old man mavic
the issue didn't show up on my drone till i had done more than 30 flights and then only on a breezy day at around 25 ft altitude it seemed to happen during a gust of wind ,as soon as i get a chance to fly the MM again i will let you know the outcome

Up to four now that I’m aware of.

Up to four now that I’m aware of.
Yes! Best advise is watch your address bar and just close the window.

As this goes along, will be interesting to see the number of folks with the same issue. I’m still thinking that this all boils down to the flexibility of the front arms. Everyone keep in mind, the screws for the props tend to get bent in this process of them hitting something.

I will argue it comes down to storage and how the props are folded when in the box. Is MM seating on them is there a pressure on the props when in storage, if you fold them and place it in the case in the wrong way they will bend?

the issue didn't show up on my drone till i had done more than 30 flights and then only on a breezy day at around 25 ft altitude it seemed to happen during a gust of wind ,as soon as i get a chance to fly the MM again i will let you know the outcome

Is there any chance they fold the wrong direction when stored and the drone is seating on the props bending them?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mini2+