DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Chernobyl

Your editing looks great, the only tip I would give is that some of your shots could use ND filters.... they are a bit jittery due to the exposure/frame rate.

Awesome clip! :)

Thump-

Thanks! I actually did use ND filters and manually set the shutter to 1/30 (4K 60 fps) to keep a more 'cinematic' look. I'm new to editing (and airborne videography, really) and 'sped up' many clips to 125-200% original speed in Adobe Premiere. I shot over an hour of footage from the drone and wanted to keep the video as tight as possible. Any idea if speeding up the clips in post negates the lower shutter speed?!? Any feedback GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks again
Chris

How drone-friendly was the group you were with? I ask because of a recent experience of taking a tour specially aimed at photographers. Two of us had drones with us: the other ten objected strongly (noise, unspecified disturbance, etc.). Many of your beautiful shots must have taken time to set up. Whenever my pal and I got our drones out the remainder of the group suggested we move on.
I thought drones were "cameras in the sky" until this experience. It seems that many "photographers" have yet to get hold of that concept.

FrankO-

I had a private tour guide for that exact reason. I had to get creative with launching/landings as a few areas had other tourists.

Chris

Great stuff!! Are you not concerned about any contamination on your drone?
From where? There is no contamination in air. The place is habitable now just don't go inside buildings or basements.

Fantastic video, well done.

Great to see how nature is reclaiming the place.

If anyone hasn't already said the 'large antenna array' is an Over the Horizon Radar. They were quite common in the 1970s - 80s to watch for ICBMs. The US and Russia operated them. I am not sure if they are used anymore, satellites are probably better at spotting missiles now.

Reactions: warburtonc
Mesmerizing! One comment. It looks like you have the camera set to autoexposure, so the levels fluctuate on certain shots. I'd recommend switching to manual, set the exposure and run with it.

nice video, music was a little too much for me.

How close do people live near this?

Spasibo is thank. Spasiba is thank you. Just in case you need to speak Russian in the near future :)

поблагодарить = Thank
благодарю вас = Thank you

In any case it is a very good video.
Thank you sir for correcting my English spelling. I edited the 'o' to an 'a' in my posting. Impressive that you speak Russian. I speak German but Russian is considerable more difficult. Twenty years ago I worked for a week helping them at a nuclear reactor in Aktau Kazakhstan. I only learned a few important words like pivo, also pronounced with an ah, pee-vah. I remembered spasiba but did not know how to spell it so I Googled 'thank you in Russian' and got spasibo. Thought it would be fun to thank the OP in Ruski.
After you corrected me, I asked the Google guy for spasiba. Looks like they do it both ways but I trust you for the correct usage.
BTW my avatar is my Himalayan named Dimitri after my Russian computer counterpart in Aktau. He gave me a mouse pad with Himalayan cats on it. Thanks for giving me some good memories of Russia. Da svidaniya (or is it Do). ?

Last edited:
Mesmerizing! One comment. It looks like you have the camera set to autoexposure, so the levels fluctuate on certain shots. I'd recommend switching to manual, set the exposure and run with it.

Great feedback; I noticed the same thing and it's rather annoying. If you lock the aperture AND shutter speed manually, how do you keep proper exposure when transitioning from darker shots to brighter ones in one video? Auto ISO adjustments?

Thanks,
Chris

Great feedback; I noticed the same thing and it's rather annoying. If you lock the aperture AND shutter speed manually, how do you keep proper exposure when transitioning from darker shots to brighter ones in one video? Auto ISO adjustments?

Thanks,
Chris
Sorry for the late reply! I've been away. Unfortunately, auto controls are going to create a dramatic shift in levels when you transition from one lighting situation to another. Even the human eye needs catch up when you walk out from a dark interior into bright sunlight or vice versa. Generally in shooting you need to set the exposure for each shot/scene, which usually means dividing a long shot into several shorter ones and then editing them together in post-production. Sometimes, when the exposure variations are moderate, you can make adjustments in post, especially if you've shot in Log mode, which records a wider dynamic range, but that's no guarantee and it's not that easy.

The Scorseses of the world can do really long shots, but they have the luxury of controlling the lighting throughout and those are usually interiors. A bit more difficult in the outside world!

Good luck!

Sorry for the late reply! I've been away. Unfortunately, auto controls are going to create a dramatic shift in levels when you transition from one lighting situation to another. Even the human eye needs catch up when you walk out from a dark interior into bright sunlight or vice versa. Generally in shooting you need to set the exposure for each shot/scene, which usually means dividing a long shot into several shorter ones and then editing them together in post-production. Sometimes, when the exposure variations are moderate, you can make adjustments in post, especially if you've shot in Log mode, which records a wider dynamic range, but that's no guarantee and it's not that easy.

The Scorseses of the world can do really long shots, but they have the luxury of controlling the lighting throughout and those are usually interiors. A bit more difficult in the outside world!

Good luck!

Looks like I missed this - Thanks for the detailed response!

Chris

Reactions: Ds67888
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
devilsown