DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

3 Chicago Riverwalk

Curious what FAA adjustments are made for maximum altitude due to buildings being so tall.

Mind sharing your settings to maintain such non grainy footage ?

Curious what FAA adjustments are made for maximum altitude due to buildings being so tall.

Mind sharing your settings to maintain such non grainy footage ?
With a 107 license, you can fly 400ft above any structure unless you are in controlled airspace. Otherwise, it is a 400ft limit just like everywhere else.

To get non-grainy footage - 1) I’m using the Mavic 3. The larger sensor helps collect more light. This is the environment where the M3 excels. 2) open up the aperture as far as it will go. Lower your shutter speed as slow as it will go. I shot 30fps. But 24fps will help you get an even slower shutter speed. 3) Keep your ISO down. The photos were 100-200. The video was 1600 I believe. 4) I use Topaz AI in post-production to help remove noise.

With a 107 license, you can fly 400ft above any structure unless you are in controlled airspace. Otherwise, it is a 400ft limit just like everywhere else.

To get non-grainy footage - 1) I’m using the Mavic 3. The larger sensor helps collect more light. This is the environment where the M3 excels. 2) open up the aperture as far as it will go. Lower your shutter speed as slow as it will go. I shot 30fps. But 24fps will help you get an even slower shutter speed. 3) Keep your ISO down. The photos were 100-200. The video was 1600 I believe. 4) I use Topaz AI in post-production to help remove noise.
Thank you very much for the information. I do plan to a 107 license . I know Topaz has had amazing noise removal for photography. Didn't realize / know they have it for video as well

Chicago is a rare major city where much of it, and all of the downtown, is NOT restricted airspace. That makes for some great urban shooting (no pun intended...) unlike Boston, which is near me and difficult to find unrestricted places to fly - Logan airport is near, and some key areas are NPS controlled, among other issues.

Reactions: dronertv
Wow. I lived in/near the city for 35 years. To say I dislike Chicago is a drastic understatement. But you've captured it beautifully. Awesome pictures and video. Very nice job!

Great footage! I really enjoyed watching your video and the pictures were stunning!!! One thing, I would have liked to see a shot of the drone above the buildings. Again I don’t know if that would have been possible with regulations or not. Great job, keep up the good work!

Chicago is a rare major city where much of it, and all of the downtown, is NOT restricted airspace. That makes for some great urban shooting (no pun intended...) unlike Boston, which is near me and difficult to find unrestricted places to fly - Logan airport is near, and some key areas are NPS controlled, among other issues.
Yeah, I live outside NYC. The airspace is all clear around lower Manhattan, but you can't legally take off our land in the city.

Great footage! I really enjoyed watching your video and the pictures were stunning!!! One thing, I would have liked to see a shot of the drone above the buildings. Again I don’t know if that would have been possible with regulations or not. Great job, keep up the good work!
Controlled Airspace starts at 3,000ft MSL in downtown. The tallest buildings are 2,300ft MSL. I could have legally flown to the top (Part 107), but DJI had an altitude limit lock. I think I got up to about 500ft before the lock kicked in. I wasn't going to be bothered at the time unlocking it.

Reactions: Rhett Mullen
These images are spectacular! Although I have lived in Miami since 1970, I was born and raised on the north side (Senn High School- Chicago school of Pharmacy, Ill. Med School). So I am familiar with all of these images. You have done an amazing job here. I have spent many hours on Lower Wacker Drive, and your images of the Tribune building and Chicago River are wonderful.
Can you tell us what your settings were? I also have the M3 but do not have 107 and am fearful of night flying with these buildings. This is really a professional presentation.

Dale
Miami

Great shots. Lived in Chicago area all my life it is as beautiful as the footage shows.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BHU