DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Chip overheating warning

Rushmore247

Reactions
New to this hobby so forgive me if I've done something stupid...
OK, so had my ma2 for a week now, only had 1 flight (one battery's worth) which went well. However when I tried to install 2nd battery to carry on I had a chip overheated warning which disabled the drone until it had cooled down. After waiting 10 mins the warning was still being displayed so I gave up and went home. Contacted dji and the shop I bought it from and am waiting for confirmation of a replacement unit to be sent out. However, this morning I powered the drone up to see if it is still showing the warning, and at first it did but after 30 seconds or so the fan switched on and the warning went away. When I 1st opened the ma2 and turned it on at home the fan came on straight away. I did a firmware upgrade and after that the fan didn't come on when ma2 was powered up. Fan still didn't come on for that one flight I managed, but now that it is coming on I'm going to take it out today and see if I can get 3 batteries' worth of flight out of it. Any ideas what might have caused this fan/warning issue? Should I be worried about flying it and just wait for a replacement?
As a side note, I was transporting the ma2 in its carry bag with one battery installed in it and the other 2 stored. Could this contribute the the chip getting warm? My only previous drone was a hubsan zino Pro which I carried around with 1 battery plugged into it and never had any overheating issues.

This is an ongoing issue reported on the official DJI forums. The fix is either send in or return drone, or fix yourself. A guy on the DJI forums took his apart and reapplied new thermal paste to the heat sinks and it cooled better than before. DJI did a terrible job with thermals and applying paste.

...As a side note, I was transporting the ma2 in its carry bag with one battery installed in it and the other 2 stored. Could this contribute the the chip getting warm?...
No. You can transport with a battery installed and turned off.

Update: the retailer ended up replacing the drone as the overheating warning falls under a warranty fault. I have a new one now and it has so far been fine.
As a side note, anyone experiencing this issue should converse with dji support first and screenshot the conversation as the retailer wanted proof that dji had confirmed it was a fault before they would replace it.

Reactions: itsneedtokno
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kramme