DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Cine mode doesn't seem to be working

Jeff.K

Reactions
I can't tell any difference between Cine Mode and Normal on my Mini 2. It's my first drone, so I'm still learning, and finding that getting smooth movements in my video can be quite a challenge. I tried switching to C mode, and it shows that's what I'm in on the display and switch position, but I don't notice any difference in Yaw rate, climb and decent speeds, or max speed between the two. (22mph) on both.

I'll do a screen recorder on my phone next time I fly and do some side by side comparisons, to do better comparisons, but shouldn't there be a noticeable difference to where it would be apparent? I know there is the option of changing buffering and rates in the gimbal settings but I kind of like having it responsive too for when I just want to use the drone to fly rather than try to shoot video.

Reactions: Abitasteve
I don't have a Mini 2, but if it's like the Mavic 2 or Mavic Air 2 - and I suspect it is - if you take-off and fly in any mode other than Normal Mode, it will behave like it was in Normal Mode. In order to select Sports Mode or Cine Mode, you must then switch back to Normal and then back into the mode you want, but only once up and flying. So, it's best to take off in Normal Mode and then make your selection after that.

I'm not sure if that was the case with your flight, but you should be seeing a difference, and that is the most likely reason without it being some sort of unknown software glitch.

I don't have a Mini 2, but if it's like the Mavic 2 or Mavic Air 2 - and I suspect it is - if you take-off and fly in any mode other than Normal Mode, it will behave like it was in Normal Mode. In order to select Sports Mode or Cine Mode, you must then switch back to Normal and then back into the mode you want, but only once up and flying. So, it's best to take off in Normal Mode and then make your selection after that.

I'm not sure if that was the case with your flight, but you should be seeing a difference, and that is the most likely reason without it being some sort of unknown software glitch.
Appreciate that info, and it looks like it might be what happened. I just found the flight data in the app, and while I don't get the flying screen video with information, I can see the flight on a map with stick inputs, speed, altitude etc. I did indeed fly one battery in normal, just getting the hang of things and looking around. I tried cine from the start it looks like on battery 2, mostly trying to do some video, then later some speed runs, climb decent etc. I then switched to normal for the last 8 minutes comparing speed etc. to verify normal performance was the same prior to landing. I never switched back to cine, or went to cine from normal.

finding that getting smooth movements in my video can be quite a challenge
Don't expect perfection without a practice. I myself, aways cut the yaw rate way down. you don't need that drone whipping back and forth like a windshield wiper. I don't know if that setting is on the Mini2 as I don't have one but..you can train your muscle memory by putting the drone in front of you and yawing back and forth until you get a feel for the required input. You don't see many pan shots in feature films..there is a good reason.

Reactions: Grazuncle
It would appear Brockrock nailed it. I managed to sneak a quick flight in between snow squalls today. If I have the controller in Cine mode prior to turning everything on, it says C mode on the phone display, but the performance is in fact that of normal mode. If I switch to normal, then back to Cine it limits speed etc. as expected. As mentioned though it doesn't make me a great cinematographer.

This behavior is common across all DJI drones... safety feature having full obstacle avoidance on during takeoff.

It would appear Brockrock nailed it. I managed to sneak a quick flight in between snow squalls today. If I have the controller in Cine mode prior to turning everything on, it says C mode on the phone display, but the performance is in fact that of normal mode. If I switch to normal, then back to Cine it limits speed etc. as expected. As mentioned though it doesn't make me a great cinematographer.
Yes, it's another software bug. I hope DJI fix it.

Attachments

• cmode.png
    cmode.png
    483.3 KB · Views: 35

To add onto that, if you want to tweak some more differences into the app settings and adjust the pitch smoothness/speed etc on each of the modes. I'd link to a youtube example but it seems like all of youtube is down right now (videos won't play and they acknowledge there is a problem on twitter).

In Go4 with M2, if you start out in any mode than normal, app will tell you that the switch is in set mode but if you really want that mode, switch to normal then back.

The idea is that you could accidentally bump the switch (M2 remote has it on the side) and not realize it. You certainly don't want to unintentionally fly in Sport mode.

Fly app should do the same but with MM1, you could only change the mode from the app; remote doesn't have a corresponding switch. DJI probably forgot that the MA/MM2 remotes have the switch.

W
Yes, it's another software bug. I hope DJI fix it.
What bug? Nonsense. As others have already advised, always begin your flight in Normal mode. It is not a "bug", it is just common sense. Not too common though it seems with some folk.

Reactions: Kilrah
Mini1 did not have a physical switch and it did not have this problem, there was always information on the smartphone screen that you were taking off and flying in Normal mode. In Mini 2 you also need to remember to physically move the switch from Cine to Normal and back to Normal, which is bad in my opinion...
I have landed in Cine mode many times to replace the batteries and restart. The switch was in Cine mode all the time, I was filming in flight, believing that I was recording in Cine mode and the drone was actually flying and filming in Normal mode. No sense.

Reactions: Grazuncle
Me too, though I'm going by my M2. The switch is on the side of the remote and easily bumped. The app warns you when the switch is not in Normal position and to switch to normal first if you wanted sport mode.

The last thing you want is to be in sport mode when you thought you were in normal mode.
Unexpectedly being in tripod mode would be more of a nuisance than a hazard.

Hey Guys,

I just switched from Mini1 to Mini2 and the cine mode is reeeeealy fast! Making me crazy, footages looks like a fast forward moovie, when the drone is turning or moving. Its a pity that movement cant be adjusted in the app. :(

Some of the movement settings can be adjusted in the app.

Also there are plenty of YouTube videos showing how to make your video smoother.
What movement settings are you referring? I did now found any. Only gimbal can be modified.

What movement settings are you referring? I did now found any. Only gimbal can be modified.
The yaw speed (how fast the drone turns) can be adjusted for each mode. Slowing this right down will make your videos pan a lot smoother.

Reactions: DJayI
As Ashjuk suggested, this user has a video on the topic...

Thanks for drawing my attention this, to be honest I did not realized that there is a YAW control in gimbal settings, so I'll give a try, hope it fix my problem. Default settings are way too high, compared to any other DJI product.
I expected this option anywhere else, I am flying drones from PH1 and that confused me.

BR
Zoli

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
motiongraphics50