DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

3 Circular rainbow

Sadly I didn't use auto bracketing with the component images, and I need to use a better stitcher than Adobe, but circular rainbows are an awesome sight you can really only effectively capture with drones:

View attachment 172796
You could try PTGui, it gives more options for the projection.
What altitude were you at?

Reactions: landscapetog
You could try PTGui, it gives more options for the projection.
What altitude were you at?
Was up around 100' AGL vs the launch point on a ridge, probably 300' AGL where the drone was hovering over that same ridge. The valley below is much deeper than that, dropping around 2000' elevation from the ridgeline (Pisgah NF, Max Patch vicinity).

Reactions: Dronecation
Circular rainbows are a common phenomenon when cloud flying in airplanes. It happens anytime the sun is directly behind you. You then fly into your own shadow. It's really a cool thing to see, but it requires instrument flight clearance, which, sadly, so far, we can't get with drones. These are excellent shots.

Reactions: passedpawn
Circular rainbows are a common phenomenon when cloud flying in airplanes. It happens anytime the sun is directly behind you. You then fly into your own shadow. It's really a cool thing to see, but it requires instrument flight clearance, which, sadly, so far, we can't get with drones. These are excellent shots.

Thanks Russ!

I've also seen glories which are exactly as you describe, much smaller and less brilliant circular rainbow-like optical phenomena versus the more traditional water-droplet rainbows as shown here.

Sundogs are also not uncommon, and other ice-crystal optical phenomena often seen with high-altitude cirrus clouds.Screen Shot 2024-02-21 at 3.57.40 PM.png

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne