DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

City centre flying

rsrpilot

Reactions
Hi,
Now not to try and run the risk of sounding like a Karen, but has anyone come across people flying in and around city centres not following drone code? I for one would love to carry out city centre flying but I know from the CAA laws it’s basically a no go. 150 meters from any congested area or organised open-air assembly of more than 1,000 persons; or within 50 meters of any person, property, vessel. How does this guy get away with being able to do it (screenshots below). I’m not about grassing someone up so I will keep his YouTube anonymous, but it means that the rules will only get stricter the more people break them, resulting in less places for us following the rules to fly / film. Thoughts?

2FD0A970-35A3-48FD-A874-5CD377189FB2.png203BDE34-D545-4736-9A17-9D47836AE290.png

True!
The only response from gouvernement can be to further limit our hobby and pose restrictions like: one can only fly in your backyard!

It is like the comedy act by Jim Jefferies named Bare.
Check YT for it.
In it he talks about gun laws in the US, and one remark he makes is that restricting laws are made because of stupid and ignorant people that don't follow the rules and that is why we have speedlimits and drugs are forbidden.
Because people can't handle responsibility and cause accidents and wrecks.
There is a lot of truth in his remarks!

Unfortunately we, the sensible pilots, aren't present when one of these jerks flies in an urban area to stop them and talk sense in them.

Ruudf

Reactions: Bernard
True!
The only response from gouvernement can be to further limit our hobby and pose restrictions like: one can only fly in your backyard!

It is like the comedy act by Jim Jefferies named Bare.
Check YT for it.
In it he talks about gun laws in the US, and one remark he makes is that restricting laws are made because of stupid and ignorant people that don't follow the rules and that is why we have speedlimits and drugs are forbidden.
Because people can't handle responsibility and cause accidents and wrecks.
There is a lot of truth in his remarks!

Unfortunately we, the sensible pilots, aren't present when one of these jerks flies in an urban area to stop them and talk sense in them.

Ruudf

exactly! ? Jim Jefferies nails it on that point, hence the reason self governing will not work and rules have to be implemented by law enforcement / regulatory bodies. I just don’t want people spoiling it for the rest of us. Can’t imagine only being able to fly in my garden, oh wait, I live in a FRZ ??‍♂️

i believe this guy’s argument would be”it’s only a mavic mini, wouldn’t cause any damage”

What if he was a CAA commercial pilot? Also if you look at the pics one is taken from inside the tower and the other almost look if he took it from inside anther building looks like window frame on the edges. But must agree it would be nice if it was legal.

What if he was a CAA commercial pilot? Also if you look at the pics one is taken from inside the tower and the other almost look if he took it from inside anther building looks like window frame on the edges. But must agree it would be nice if it was legal.

Even if you’re a commercial pilot you still have to abide by CAA drone law. Exemptions can be made if you make a request with the CAA and with the owner of the property. However, this nugget was flying around the city centre everywhere, breaching all the 50m rules and 150m over congested areas. The actual video shows him flying through and him commenting on a previous video how he would be doing it. He even uses the term “keeping it a secret”.

there are many things that would be nice if it was legal lol just don’t want restrictions making it harder to enjoy a hobby.

Ha not seen the rest of his exploits just the 2 stills. And it sounds like he is STILL a “NUGGET”....far nicer expression than I would have chosen

Ha not seen the rest of his exploits just the 2 stills. And it sounds like he is STILL a “NUGGET”....far nicer expression than I would have chosen

ha I would post the link, but don’t want to ‘grass him up’ so to say. And the footage is nice, just all it would take is a prop fail or for him to catch a leg on a building and someone below would be visiting the crematorium. Could have used the term **** nugget lol

Just watched the video. Great filming but as stated breaking just about every rule in the book! It’s not exactly difficult to find the footage so if authority wanted to pursue they could. I wish I had the bulls to do it but to old and a little bit wiser plus if my MPP was to fall out of the sky it would definitely be curtains for a poor soul on the ground. He has even done a home tube of himself

Last edited:

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000