DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Clarification needed without getting beat up

mb9162

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Currently I’m flying an Autel nano+ and mini 3 pro. I have my Trust certification and fly only recreational.
I’m looking at getting the M3 pro. My question is: Can I still fly the M3P under part 107 recreationally without getting needing my part 107. Knowing it’s over the 249 gram limit. I know I’ll have to register it per FAA regulations.

Thanks in advance

Under current regulations you can fly any drone you like recreationally, as long as the ones above the weight limit are registered.
You cannot fly part 107 recreationally. You must hold a Part 107 certificate to fly under part 107. In other words without a 107 certificate you cannot make money with your drone nor can you use it for any purpose that could result in a personal gain by anyone. Part 107 basically states that you intend to do something to make money.

Reactions: rjwmorrell
Currently I’m flying an Autel nano+ and mini 3 pro. I have my Trust certification and fly only recreational.
I’m looking at getting the M3 pro. My question is: Can I still fly the M3P under part 107 recreationally without getting needing my part 107. Knowing it’s over the 249 gram limit. I know I’ll have to register it per FAA regulations.

Thanks in advance
May I suggest if you haven't done so already, take a few minutes and register yourself with the FAA, get the registration number, pay the $5. You'll get one registration number and you are free to affix that same number upon all drones that you own or just the one's that weight more than 249g, it's up to you. As a recreational pilot, personally I put that number on every single drone that I own, it doesn't hurt. There is no benefit that I am aware of that you gain from forgoing this step. You don't have to wait until you get a Mavic 3 Pro. You are registering yourself, technically not your drone. Once you register yourself, you manage your inventory or your fleet of drones by add/removing them. Two steps: Always be sure to add to your inventory at a minimum anything that weighs more than 249g....and affix the sticker: This is defacto registering your drone.

Thanks in advance
If you're flying recreational, it is not under Part 107, as I understand it. The drone weight is not related. In other words, you can fly a drone over 250g under your TRUST recreational rules provided the drone is registered.

Registration has nothing to do with the purpose of the flight.

Reactions: BigAl07
If you're flying recreational, it is not under Part 107, as I understand it. The drone weight is not related. In other words, you can fly a drone over 250g under your TRUST recreational rules provided the drone is registered.

Registration has nothing to do with the purpose of the flight.
I like to think of it as an exception. Consider this from the FAA:

Operators of small unmanned aircraft (also referred to as drones) for recreational purposes must follow the rules in 14 CFR part 107 for FAA certification and operating authority unless they follow the conditions of the Exception for Limited Recreational Operations of Unmanned Aircraft, discussed in this notice. The FAA refers to individuals operating under that statutory exception as “recreational flyers.”

And then, all drones/pilots must be registered unless you have an exception (like recreational AND under 250g).

Reactions: rjwmorrell
@mavic3usa even though your post is "technically correct" it's going to muddy the waters significantly. There's no need to go THAT deep into the weeds in this particular discussion. It's only going to cause a LOT more confusion. Let's keep is SIMPLE shall we?

Basically, @mb9162 you are either flying Recreationally under ~44809 (Take your TRUST and this will be much more clear) or you're flying under Part 107. There are exceptions but they are outside of the scope of this discussion and most of this forum tbh.

Reactions: jaja6009
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volidas