DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Clarify Ipad Mini 4 Option

jrizz1

Reactions
Planning to buy an iPad Mini 4 for my MPP. After reading numerous threads on this forum I am more confused. I know the cellular version has GPS. Is this only for "Follow Me and Active Track" modes? I would like to use these modes. I do not want to add another monthly cost, ($10) to my cell bill or pay the higher cost of the cellular version upfront. Will the WiFi only version, while flying linked to my phones hotspot, do everything the cellular version will do, to include the "Follow Me and Active Track" modes? Is there any other difference I am not a where of?

Planning to buy an iPad Mini 4 for my MPP. After reading numerous threads on this forum I am more confused. I know the cellular version has GPS. Is this only for "Follow Me and Active Track" modes? I would like to use these modes. I do not want to add another monthly cost, ($10) to my cell bill or pay the higher cost of the cellular version upfront. Will the WiFi only version, while flying linked to my phones hotspot, do everything the cellular version will do, to include the "Follow Me and Active Track" modes? Is there any other difference I am not a where of?
You do not need to activate the cellular to use GPS (or use the tablet with your Mavic), the GPS just uses the same antennae as the cellular transceiver. That is why it is not enabled in the WiFI only unit. The WiFi unit will not work attached to a hotspot for the modes you want in the manner you wish.

Never had much use for Active Track and Follow Me modes. Save yourself $10 bucks per month and buy a selfie-stick.

So am I right in saying that only Follow Me and Active Track modes will not be able to be used on the WiFi version. Everything else will work the same, either cellular or WiFi version and if I want to use these modes, could I just use my iPhone7 for those flights? Any other difference?

So am I right in saying that only Follow Me and Active Track modes will not be able to be used on the WiFi version. Everything else will work the same, either cellular or WiFi version and if I want to use these modes, could I just use my iPhone7 for those flights? Any other difference?
Yes, you could use your iPhone for the flights with the tracking mode (only one of those modes actually uses GPS (I do not recall which) the other uses optical identification.) Active Track does not use GPS, Follow Me mode does use GPS.

Last edited:
Reactions: gkrug
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sverkerh