DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Clarifying

Bad Santa

Reactions
It appears people didn't like my post before. I'll try to not add my quirky humor going further.

So, I was flying my DJI Mini, on Mt Hood, In Oregon.
I was at an elevation of approximately 4700 feet.
I flew the drone to 55m and about 200 feet away from me.
The area is relatively flat with sparse David Douglas Trees.
I was flying that elevation to do a test flight and to try recording a video and to test the RTH function.

At the furthest point I was able to rotate the drone 30 degrees. I was able to slide side to side. Etc. All movement functions appeared to work fine.

RTH button pressed and the drone didn't respond. About 30 seconds later a message appeared "RTH command not successful" or something to that effect. I almost panicked.

I turned the drone 180 degrees and commanded forward. The drone responded.

I stopped about 30 feet north of me and 55m up. The drone stopped responding to commands of:
camera zoom
Reverse
Side to side
Rotate

It would move forward.
I inched forward and started to bring it down. After it got to about 100 feet, it was able to turn and I maneuvered to land it within 12" of it's takeoff point.

So, questions were asked.

I did forget that the almost directly overhead, at 55m might need the controller antennae pointed at the drone. That would explain the non control and why it was reestablished at a lower elevation.

I don't know why the RTH function didn't work. That is the #1 reason I bought this particular drone. The #2 was obstacle avoidance.

A comment that was mentioned was that the controller should have recorded the video. Well, is that recorded on the controller memory or the memory card? The memory card is blank. I formatted it before inserting it. It's still blank.

Comments were made bout reading the manual. Ins a perfect world, everyone would learn the same way. For whatever reason, I can read a manual 10 times and still not absorb the knowledge. I also can't read for entertainment. My mind drifts after 2 sentences. Does that mean I'm dumb? No. I've found many ways to learn. Videos, for example, are very informative when done properly. Add in a ton of technical info unrelated to actual function and I'm, again, drifting off. I don't need to know the history of the gyroscope to know what a gyroscope is and what it does. I learned that 55 years ago, literally. The same goes for almost all aspects of my learning.

The point is I can read the manual 10 times and not learn what I learned in 10 minutes of flying. I put nobody in danger. The only possible harm would have been to myself and/or my bank account.

But when I do have issues, I can reference materials, including, but not limited to, the manual.

So, I actually listen to people when they give advice on things that help. Judgment, well, that's all with a grain of salt. I never really cared much that people dive 70 in a 55, for example.

Anyhow, I wonder some things. I wonder if I power up my drone in my front yard, if it comes on the radar with the transponder. I wonder if I do a quick hover, if it's illegal (I suspect it is even if it's legal to throw a ball in the same airspace) since I live within a restricted area (Max altitude at my house is 300'). I wonder why the RTH didn't work (which I'll probably have to reference somewhere). So much to wonder after my second flight.

Reactions: Romi
That was much more informational version of your original post, and should attract help rather than criticism.

I did forget that the almost directly overhead, at 55m might need the controller antennae pointed at the drone. That would explain the non control and why it was reestablished at a lower elevation.

It's possible but unlikely with the craft that close to you. And with a 30 m offset from directly overhead even more unlikely.

What is confusing me is the selective loss of control. Control signal does not die incrementally IME. Either ALL the controls work, or if RC signal gets below a certain threshold (usually at vast distance, or when totally blocked from view) then NONE of them do. Not sure I have ever heard of a situation where only some controls stop working, so that is mysterious, and why we would like to see the flight log, which might be able to shed some light on this.

A comment that was mentioned was that the controller should have recorded the video. Well, is that recorded on the controller memory or the memory card? The memory card is blank. I formatted it before inserting it. It's still blank.
It's recorded on the controller, and is not the same file as you get if you manually turn on screen recording, which gives you the overlays as well. As I don't have your exact model of drone, and these things can vary with firmware version, I will have to leave it to others to advise which folder it will be in with your setup.

What drone, what controller and, if applicable what phone?
Do you know anything about retrieving and posting the .txt flight log ?
You need to be careful of the videos you learn from, some video posters are not worth the ....... and some are simply outright wrong.

But when I do have issues, I can reference materials, including, but not limited to, the manual.

That's one reason for practise flights in a safe and open space, behaviours can be not-as-expected and you stand a chance of getting away with it.
You can then check the relevant section of the manual etc. and find out what was wrong with your understanding.

EVERY time that has happened to me it was my understanding that was at fault. The drone behaved as the manual said it should ....... though, with inexperienced/newbie pilots in mind, I DO NOT think the manuals are well written.

Last edited:
Anyhow, I wonder some things. I wonder if I power up my drone in my front yard, if it comes on the radar with the transponder. I wonder if I do a quick hover, if it's illegal (I suspect it is even if it's legal to throw a ball in the same airspace) since I live within a restricted area (Max altitude at my house is 300'). I wonder why the RTH didn't work (which I'll probably have to reference somewhere). So much to wonder after my second flight.
The difference between a drone and a ball is if something were to go wrong, the ball will likely and eventually fall towards the ground and have no further impact on the airspace. However, with a drone, even though these drones are pretty good, you could still end up with a flyaway and that drone can drift and/or ascend to thousands of feet into the airspace. FAA is concerned with the aircraft and less so with the baseballs.

I wonder if I power up my drone in my front yard, if it comes on the radar with the transponder
NO there is no way for the controllers in the airports control tower to see your Drone.
I wonder if I do a quick hover, if it's illegal
If you live in restricted Airspace yes it is very illegal.
I wonder why the RTH didn't work
Could be alot of things really but Return to home is there as an emergency type of function and should never be relied upon to "save" your Drone. The same can be said for Obstacle Avoidance

Digging through the memory on the controller, I found 3 video files.
1) From my living room the day I got it.
2) Sitting on the ground testing the camera movement
3) The video below. It's just a few seconds up at altitude.

I don't seem to have a record of the full flight, nor the landing, nor it's first flight into the tree.

Unless there's another place on the device where videos are temporarily stored?

I'm looking into how to download flight logs. I don't see a lot of data on the device but there's a LOT of folders.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Anyhow, I wonder some things. I wonder if I power up my drone in my front yard, if it comes on th
Mavic3usa, is correct, drones can flyaway and they can climb, uncontrollably, to dangerous heights.
In addition you drone may well be broadcasting its height, serial-number, postition, the controller's position and possibly the-take-off, via RID, to anyone who has a suitable reciever.
In retricted space I would find it surprising if the area is NOW permanently monitored.

Anyhow, I wonder some things. .....
Your drone is very reliable and simple to fly.
Getting some practice will make it all clear to you.

Do your early flights in a large open area, well away from trees, buildings and obstacles.
Be afraid, very afraid of trees, buildings etc. They are involved in most incidents.

RTH is quite simple and trying it a few times in a safe space will give you familiarity.

I don't seem to have a record of the full flight, nor the landing, nor it's first flight into the tree.
You will only have a video record if you were shooting video at the time.
It sounds like you accidentally turned the video off.
Watch for the red square and ticking time on screen to confirm that video is recording and not switched off.

Control towers in the U.S. do not have the ability to see RID. only FAA officials with receivers and Karens with cheap apps can see RID..

Control towers in the U.S. do not have the ability to see RID. only FAA officials with receivers and Karens with cheap apps can see RID..
Really ?
That strikes me as very odd, I am pretty sure I have seen reports of airports being shut down and, perhaps flights rerouted, because a "drone was detected". To me that impies that the detection was not visual but by other means.
I would have thought it would have been "drone was seen" if the detecting was visual.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billy0157