DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Class D Airspace

Photo Booth

Reactions
When I fly my Mavic above my home I get notifications that I am in a Class D airspace and to fly with caution. However, when I open the UAV Forecast app, it says "Good to Fly" right at the top. I warns me that there is 1 heliport nearby (a hospital) but, looking at the map, my location is a little over 1 mile outside the circular boundary of that heliport/hospital.

So why is DJI telling me I'm in Class D? Is it because that Class D boundary is within range of my Mavic's distance capabilities? Does DJI "assume" that you might fly in that direction and give you a warning regardless if you are actually in the Class D airspace?

Or, is the Class D unrelated to the heliport at all? Our home is under the approach path for passenger airliners landing at San Diego's International Airport. But that airport is 20 miles away and those planes are thousands of feet above us when they fly over. Are those approach lanes also Class D?

Thoughts?

Mark

When I fly my Mavic above my home I get notifications that I am in a Class D airspace and to fly with caution. However, when I open the UAV Forecast app, it says "Good to Fly" right at the top. I warns me that there is 1 heliport nearby (a hospital) but, looking at the map, my location is a little over 1 mile outside the circular boundary of that heliport/hospital.

So why is DJI telling me I'm in Class D? Is it because that Class D boundary is within range of my Mavic's distance capabilities? Does DJI "assume" that you might fly in that direction and give you a warning regardless if you are actually in the Class D airspace?

Or, is the Class D unrelated to the heliport at all? Our home is under the approach path for passenger airliners landing at San Diego's International Airport. But that airport is 20 miles away and those planes are thousands of feet above us when they fly over. Are those approach lanes also Class D?

Thoughts?

Mark
Just use the real thing:
Sectional Aeronautical Chart

Reactions: ToddR
Thanks, I'm downloading one for the Los Angeles airspace, I assume it will also contain San Diego.

Since posting my message, I also found DJI's map:

DJI - The World Leader in Camera Drones/Quadcopters for Aerial Photography

At that map, if I turn on "Warning Zone" then my location is within that warning zone. But I'm NOT within "Enhanced Warning Zone" which is apparently more stringent.

Mark

Well, I downloaded the Sectional Aeronautical Chart for my area and I can't make heads nor tails of it. I've placed a red dot at our location on this aeronautical chart (click image for much larger version):

Mark

It looks to me like you are below a Class B airspace, whose ceiling is 10,000' msl, and floor is 3000' msl. If you're staying below 400' agl, you should be good to go. In no case should you every fly above 3000' there. Note that a little west of you (looks like a mile and a quarter), The Class B drops to 1800'.
The reason these "floors" keep getting lower as you go west, is that planes approaching San Diego International runway 27 naturally descend lower and lower as they prepare to land.

Last edited:
It looks to me like you are below a Class B airspace, whose ceiling is 10,000' msl, and floor is 3000' msl. If you're staying below 400' agl, you should be good to go. In no case should you every fly above 3000' there. Note that a little west of you (looks like a mile and a quarter), The Class B drops to 1800'.

Thanks! I've set my Mavic for 122 meters (400 feet) maximum AGL. Under no circumstances do I ever plan to go higher than that.

I also found the FAA's UAS Facility Maps website. Again, I've placed a red dot in my location (click image for larger version):

If I read that correctly, I am well outside the FAA's restrictions on UAS flight. However, if I'm truly in Class D airspace I suspect I still need to request permission.

I am flying for hobby or recreation (section 336), not part 107.

Mark

Well, I downloaded the Sectional Aeronautical Chart for my area and I can't make heads nor tails of it. I've placed a red dot at our location on this aeronautical chart (click image for much larger version):

Mark
I was going to say that unless you are a pilot or proficient in these VMC charts, it would be tough to decipher.

First, you are in Class B airspace on the sectional, not Class D. That is very busy airspace down there, which is why I always fly in IMC.

You can fly at or above 10001 feet MSL, OR must remain at or below 2999 feet MSL. The restriction is between 3,000 and 10,000. At 400 feet AGL, you will be fine as there is no way you are anywhere near 2,599 feet MSL at your location. I fly into SAN often, and you are about sea level at your location.

Have fun!

Last edited:
I was going to say that unless you are a pilot or proficient in these VMC charts, it would be tough to decipher.

First, you are in Class B airspace on the sectional, not Class D. That is very busy airspace down there, which is why I always fly in IMC.

You can fly at or above 10001 feet MSL, OR must remain at or below 2999 feet MSL. The restriction is between 3,000 and 10,000. At 400 feet AGL, you will be fine as there is no way you are anywhere near 2,599 feet MSL at your location. I fly into SAN often, and you are about sea level at your location.

Have fun!

Thanks. Our location is about 493 feet above sea level. So, at 400 feet AGL that's 893 MSL.

But I still don't understand why the DJI Go 4 app keeps telling me I'm in Class D airspace.

Mark

Thanks. Our location is about 493 feet above sea level. So, at 400 feet AGL that's 893 MSL.

But I still don't understand why the DJI Go 4 app keeps telling me I'm in Class D airspace.

Mark
Yeah, I don’t get it either...the class D message. I looked at the chart and did notice you are just to the south of Class D for El Cajon, (Gillespie) but your red dot is not within that airspace.

So unless your red dot is too far south, you are not quite in Class D.

The limit for that Class D space is 2,500.

Last edited:

Mark

What firmware version do you have on your Mavic? And what version of Go4 app?

Yeah, I don’t get it either...the class D message. I looked at the chart and did notice you are just to the south of Class D for El Cajon, (Gillespie) but your red dot is not within that airspace.

So unless your red dot is too far south, you are not quite in Class D.

The limit for that Class D space is 2,500.

When I look at the maps in UAV Forecast and AIRMAP apps, I'm clearly outside (south) of Gillespie's restricted airspace. So the DJI GO 4 app is nuts.

Interestingly, the FAA's B4UFly app says I'm within 5 miles of an airport. Hogwash. No wonder folks don't use the FAA's app.

Mark

Reactions: Dariof
What firmware version do you have on your Mavic? And what version of Go4 app?

I just downloaded the DJI GO 4 app 6 days ago. And I updated the Mavic's firmware at the same time. So, presumably, I have the latest versions of each (if DJI hasn't updated either one in the last week).

Mark

I have found the go4 app to be inaccurate regarding class d airspace. It shows that warning to me often when I am not in or close to class d airspace, heli ports seem to cause this warning for me, such as a hospital port, even when I am outside 1 mile of it. Helipads are not normally class d, unless they are within an airport traffic area. I get this warning when I know I'm am clear.....

Similar issue with B4UFly app showing every heliport and calling them airports with a depicted circular traffic area. Most of them don't exist on aviation sectional or terminal charts

Reactions: Photo Booth
I have found the go4 app to be inaccurate regarding class d airspace. It shows that warning to me often when I am not in or close to class d airspace, heli ports seem to cause this warning for me, such as a hospital port, even when I am outside 1 mile of it. Helipads are not normally class d, unless they are within an airport traffic area. I get this warning when I know I'm am clear.....
Now that I think of it, my MP app also shows me flying in class D, although I know for certain I am not. I mostly fly at an AMA field out of any type of controlled airspace.

Thoughts?

Mark
Class D airspace is applicable to an airport with an operating control tower and includes the airspace within a 5 mile radius of that control tower and up to an altitude of 3000 feet AGL. FAA regulations require pilots to be in contact with the tower during oprerational hours to fly in that airspace

Reactions: ToddR
Class D airspace is applicable to an airport with an operating control tower and includes the airspace within a 5 mile radius of that control tower and up to an altitude of 3000 feet AGL. FAA regulations require pilots to be in contact with the tower during oprerational hours to fly in that airspace

The FAA's B4UFly app says the "airport" within 5 miles is a heliport on top of a Hospital. It turns out I was incorrect in my first message, it appears the heliport is about 4.25 miles from our house. I'm pretty sure it doesn't have a control tower.

Mark

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661