DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

clean live transmission, lagged recorded video

Dettclag91

Reactions
So I fly a Mavic 2 Pro on construction sites to document monthly progress and site photos for project record and our website. Within the past 4-6 months I've been having a serious issue with the video lag when I start editing. The transmission while flying is perfect so I never know if it recorded clean or not until I start editing. Our construction projects aren't alway local and I have to drive a few hours to the site and back just to find out I cant use any of the footage. Tried recording in 4K at 24fps and in 1080p at 60fps, and everything in between. I don't know what the deal is and can't figure this out. Any ideas?

You are accessing the files from the drone itself via the USB cable or SD card, right?

If that's the case I would try a new high speed SD card just to rule out problems there.

This should not be happening. Most cases it is the other way around. The live video get truncated but the video recordings in the SD card are fine.

Before the past 4-6 months, you were able to edit 4k content from the same craft, recorded using the same video settings, while editing on the same computer?

Just a suggestion, I’m a member of the commercial pilots forum here and many who have missions that are not local check there footage before leaving the site. Would you be able to do this either with your existing laptop, or one that would prove to be a good investment?
Blue Skies...

Before the past 4-6 months, you were able to edit 4k content from the same craft, recorded using the same video settings, while editing on the same computer?
Yes, I used to be able to edit and save as 4k, but now I have to save them as "Masterfile" or else the videos don't complete.

You are accessing the files from the drone itself via the USB cable or SD card, right?

If that's the case I would try a new high speed SD card just to rule out problems there.

This should not be happening. Most cases it is the other way around. The live video get truncated but the video recordings in the SD card are fine.
Yes, I'm using the SD card. I've used the USB and saved videos internally before, but the quality was horrible. The SD cards are only 8 months old, is there a usage limit to them? Obviously the memory gets full and you need to clear them and format them correctly, but I mean is there a "lifespan" for them where you get so many uses of them and then they break down.

Just a suggestion, I’m a member of the commercial pilots forum here and many who have missions that are not local check there footage before leaving the site. Would you be able to do this either with your existing laptop, or one that would prove to be a good investment?
Blue Skies...
I'm going to start, I haven't had to before in past 3 years and was flying a lot more, but suddenly I'm having this issue. I've made sure to update everything, and when I try to test fly before I go out things are fine and the "test" footage has no issues, then I go and fly and everything is screwed up. but the more strange part is that its inconsistent, some flights are just fine and others are lagged.

Reactions: Skyflyer129
So I fly a Mavic 2 Pro on construction sites to document monthly progress and site photos for project record and our website. Within the past 4-6 months I've been having a serious issue with the video lag when I start editing. The transmission while flying is perfect so I never know if it recorded clean or not until I start editing. Our construction projects aren't alway local and I have to drive a few hours to the site and back just to find out I cant use any of the footage. Tried recording in 4K at 24fps and in 1080p at 60fps, and everything in between. I don't know what the deal is and can't figure this out. Any ideas?
I have taken your post differently than most.

The way I read it is that you are having trouble with editing the video correct? The video plays back normally when you just play the original file but it’s when you start to edit the video that you are getting lag is that correct?

what I hear you describing is a rendering issue but maybe I’m the one who has misunderstood

I have taken your post differently than most.

The way I read it is that you are having trouble with editing the video correct? The video plays back normally when you just play the original file but it’s when you start to edit the video that you are getting lag is that correct?

what I hear you describing is a rendering issue but maybe I’m the one who has misunderstood
The raw, un-edited video outside of editing software is laggy. I probably should have mentioned that before.

The raw, un-edited video outside of editing software is laggy. I probably should have mentioned that before.
Are you recording in H.265? Some older computers don’t play that format very well.

What computer do you have and do you know if you are recording in h.265 or h.264?

as someone else suggested have you tried a new HQ SD card? I know I have to replace the one in my Dash cam every 6-12 months because they have a life span and after so many over writes the video starts to get corrupt, I format it every few months and that helps but eventually its just wore out.. just a thought to try.

Are you recording in H.265? Some older computers don’t play that format very well.

What computer do you have and do you know if you are recording in h.265 or h.264?
sorry for the late reply, i have a macbook pro and use FCPX. i bought new SD cards to try but im still waiting on weather to clear to try the new cards. i typically fly once a month, but its over 10 projects a month, at least 15 mins each project. so i might just be wearing them out?

as someone else suggested have you tried a new HQ SD card? I know I have to replace the one in my Dash cam every 6-12 months because they have a life span and after so many over writes the video starts to get corrupt, I format it every few months and that helps but eventually its just wore out.. just a thought to try.
i bought new cards and just waiting on the weather to try again, i typically fly once a month, but it's over 10 projects a month, at least 15 mins each project.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skyscansurveys