DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

clicking noise after updates

Cant tell from the video. Are all four motors rattling ? If this is true it's unlikely to be due to debris inside the motors or parts being loose. Suggest to downgrade the firmware and try again.

Reactions: Mike4884
It sounds like it could be a loose magnet in one of the motor housings. It occurs right when power is routed to the motors to start them and then goes away once idle RPM is reached. I'm on the latest firmware, and mine does not do this, and that seems to be a mechanical sound anyway, meaning that I don't think any firmware change could cause that sound to occur. I would share those vids with DJI and get a new one.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
I didn't see if you had acknowledged the suggestion to downgrade the firmware and see if it is still happening when you do ? If so, then it will be clear that it is not a firmware issue at all. Just re-suggesting something that was brought up earlier....downgrade to the previous firmware - then try turnining on the Drone again and see if the clicking is still there - if not - then install the firmware again and try again....good luck

Reactions: Rchawks
I didn't see if you had acknowledged the suggestion to downgrade the firmware and see if it is still happening when you do ? If so, then it will be clear that it is not a firmware issue at all. Just re-suggesting something that was brought up earlier....downgrade to the previous firmware - then try turnining on the Drone again and see if the clicking is still there - if not - then install the firmware again and try again....good luck
sorry about that, how do I downgrade the firmware?

If its the gimbal try re calibration it along with the IMU & Compass after update always do this before flying

If its the gimbal try re calibration it along with the IMU & Compass after update always do this before flying
Sorry, but you do not need to do an IMU & compass cal before flying.... complete waste of time. Only time you need to do a compass cal is if the drone says so. This has been discussed in numerous threads on here by some very smart individuals.

Last edited:
OK so its been a long day, but I guy a little time in to try some of the ideas, I started by connecting to the DJI assistant software to downgrade the firmware, once it came up I received a firmware incomparable error in the software ( the new firmware) and I let it fix itself. ( error screenshot pic included). At that point I really felt a sense of relief thinking well there it is that has to be the issue. That feeling went away pretty quick as the fixed new firmware did not correct the issue. I then proceeded to downgrade to the previous firmware, with no change, the noise is still there. I then went back to the most current firmware, and yup its still the same, the noise is still there. Im going to put the motors under the microscope and take some pics and see if anything looks wrong.
INCOMPATABLE IMG_9811.jpg

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
OK so its been a long day, but I guy a little time in to try some of the ideas, I started by connecting to the DJI assistant software to downgrade the firmware, once it came up I received a firmware incomparable error in the software ( the new firmware) and I let it fix itself. ( error screenshot pic included). At that point I really felt a sense of relief thinking well there it is that has to be the issue. That feeling went away pretty quick as the fixed new firmware did not correct the issue. I then proceeded to downgrade to the previous firmware, with no change, the noise is still there. I then went back to the most current firmware, and yup its still the same, the noise is still there. Im going to put the motors under the microscope and take some pics and see if anything looks wrong.
View attachment 110427

Just curious, are all four motors producing the noise ? It's quite hard to believe that they all suddenly went bad in the same way.

Ok so I took some real close up pics, didn’t see anything different between the 4 motors, so I waited till the family was sleeping to have a quiet house and really try to figure out which motor or motors were making the noise. I seemed to narrow it down to the back right one. It seems like it should be easy to figure out, but the 4 motors all start and stop at the exact same time and when your up close the noise is just loud enough to fill the listening area around the whole drone, but I think as I mentioned the back right. Here are just some pics I took prior to the intense listening session. Now that I have kind of narrowed it down, how far can I go with removing screws to investigate with better pics without having any warranty issues? Can I unscrew the 2 screws on the plastic piece that is on top of the motor that locks in the propellers? To get a better look?

also there is no difference in the motor rotation “tension” While hand spinning the 4 motors with the props on or off, there is no notice of anything in any motor binding or scraping or added friction. There is no sound difference between motors while hand spinning,

Does that lead me to think maybe it’s more electrical and les mechanical? Is that motor receiving the electrical current before or after the others? Is it receiving too much current or struggling to get enough current to torque up the motor and let horsepower take over? Not sure

What I do know is yes the noise was first noticed after the update, coincidence? PROBABLY, even my wife and son notice the new noise so I’m not going crazy

Do I feel safe flying? Kind of because after it starts it sound normal. Should I fly it? That’s what’s killing me because I’m not out of caution.

Contact DJI about issue and warranty ( it seems to be a warranty issue as it is the “NEW” replacement from my refresh care incident and based on my pictures history my first flight with this ma2 was July 19 2020, so it’s just under a month old to me) so do Igo that route and probably lose the rest of the summer while they figure out? I can’t imagine not flying as it has been my stress reliever since I First got the ma2 in June, it’s what gets me calm, relaxed and mind off all my stresses during these crazy times with the pandemic, the social distancing and stresses keeping my business afloat with all the pandemic rules affecting small business. AND MOST IMPORTANT not knowing what is going on with my kids schooling in 3 weeks. I look forward to my 3 battery flight time sessions to block out all that craziness

UGGG the stresses of finally going all in with a new hobby after years of losing those throw away drones
92B71A19-18F1-494C-8EE8-D5ACC2BB4CA2.jpeg5CC2AEBC-86A8-4318-8FB7-1178CD861C08.jpeg6D032461-976D-4B5F-AE28-D363EE4BC9BA.jpeg

Reactions: dave27
.... While hand spinning the 4 motors with the props on or off, there is no notice of anything in any motor binding or scraping or added friction. .... Does that lead me to think maybe it’s more electrical and les mechanical?

The difference between spinning the motors by hand and energizing them by electricity is that the hand exerts force on the case of the motor but electricity exerts force on the magnets attached to the inner side of the case. As pointed out in one of the responses, loose magnets can be a reason.

is it ok warranty wise to take the 2 screws out, the plastic prop hold down cap and spring?

if i can, that microscope i have connected to my computer also does video and possible slow motion, i can definitely get a better look

no one has ever had an issue like or similar to this?

is it ok warranty wise to take the 2 screws out, the plastic prop hold down cap and spring?

I think that's a NOK contractually although you will have to check the exact terms. Whether DJI will know is another story though. Some of the screws on the fuselage of my M2P have the socket filled with resins to help checking whether the drone has been disassembled

Thinking it’s time to just start the warranty venture, should be fun, hopefully the sounds on the video can speed up the process if they can use them, gonna use my DSLR and a tripod to get more precise vids, I’ll post them up here also

Well just to close this out, I sent back the ma2, maybe around august 17th and I chose to pay for and send it 2 day air from NJ to CA not the free ground they send the label for which can take up to 5 days transit it was just $38 bucks, I did the same on my refresh care express claim in which I received the one that this thread is about. They were very fast on the refresh express service getting a new one out and they were also very quick on getting this one looked at. I believe on the 2nd day it was there they verified it was a a warranty coverage issue ( so I was happy) I had also sent pics and videos to the support tech that emailed me, and also the firmware update error screen shot I took from the DJI ASSISTANCE 2 software that showed the drone accepted the update through the controller the days before, but the software immediately found there was and update error. ( i screen shot everything in life ) so the support tech said yes send those pics and ill re-update my file info for the case.

So I tried to send them a 2 day ship label back to me to save time, but they already created the label early the monday morning aug 24th , so ground it was. and I received a new ma2 that friday the 28th, so was happy it was all taken care of prior to labor day weekend. So really they only had the drone 2-3 days and I kept sending them info watching it go through the service process, I think besides the 5 day ground shipping everything went smooth and fast ( except they forgot to send me back my propellers / or replacements that they asked me to send. I contacted them about that and they took care of it, all I needed to do was send a picture of the new drone without the props, and as I am typing this now I just got a notification that a delivery from CERRITOS CA just arrived at my business, So the props are in. ( meanwhile I just bought 2 packs of props to keep my spares up to 2 sets yesterday while in NYC. I stopped into B&H just before they closed, while spending the day in the city with the family)

AND THE NEW DRONE SOUNDS PERFECT, NO MORE NOISE
I asked for specifics on what the problem was and they have seemed to disregard those couple requests, oh well free replacement as warranty covered it

hello
I did the updates ( firmware / software whatever was available) I really like some of the features add, but really havent been able to use them yet. Thats because I notice a slight clicking noise when I start the motors and shut down the motors. It is definitely a new noise, not a continuous clicking but just an initial click when the props start to spin and when when they shut down

I have a very good ear for different noises on electronics and machines as I can tell how my shop printing press and embroidery machines are running just by listening, any minor change in electronics noises I know immediately something is different

has anyone noticed this? my props are not hitting anything, barely flew it over the weekend prior to the updates due to the Presidential flight restrictions that consumed NJ

I appreciate in advance and thoughts, ideas to fix, or any info

thank you
i did a firmware update and now my drone is doing the same thing

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Htrismegistus