DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Cliffside Road on the way to Kapalua, Maui

macfawlty

Reactions
It's been over 30 years since I last visited Maui and Kauai. This roadway beyond Kapalua was a small dirt road back then. A number of nice launch points and dramatic coastlines between Kapalua and Nakalele Blowhole. I was flying mid-morning, but the wind was still 20+ mph and gusty. Many of you wouldn't have flown in those conditions, but it's ALWAYS windy on the North shore (plus, I have insurance). I could see the M2P bouncing around quite a bit, but you'd never know it from the combined performance of drone and gimbal. My sweeping turns are a bit jerky cause the controller and mounted 9.7" iPad w/ sun shade are like a kite trying to fly away. Hard to do subtle combination moves with a death grip.

This is just one short clip of the 90+ 18-20 second clips I exported. I also recorded the entire drive with a GoPro mounted to the front of my rented jeep to mix into an edit.

For some reason, the Resolve export is much contrastier than my graded timeline. I always prefer a flatter grade. Something about the H.265 conversion... grrr

Last edited:
Maui is so fricken wonderful! I miss that island! Well graded and nice composition!

I personally would like to see some more of your clips. Perhaps an edit of some of the clips that you captured.

I filmed sooo much content between the two islands. I did export 90+ clips of +/- 20 seconds each, but now I have to figure out what NOT to use!

I filmed sooo much content between the two islands. I did export 90+ clips of +/- 20 seconds each, but now I have to figure out what NOT to use!

Nice!
Here’s a Mavic pro video I shot while on Maui in 2017

Reactions: Gindra
Or here is one from Honolulu Bay.

Real nice videos. Curious about your camera settings. What I'm seeing in these videos appears to be some over-sharpening. Wondering if your camera is doing the sharpening or if it's in post? May be a combination of sharpening and compression causing dancing pixels.

Cool vid and location!
Love that you didn’t try to stretch the length once the subject was shown.

This was just one of 90+ clips that I'm working into a video. I can see however that something is happening in the export from H.265 to ProRes HQ in Resolve 16. The color grades on nearly all my exported clips are awful. I have to figure out where in my workflow/settings it's going awry. I may have to flatten all of my grades to compensate for the variance in compression. Or I may have to convert all of my original clips to ProRes before editing. So annoying.

Reactions: mereflyer
Nice shoot!

About your problems with Resolve 16, why are you exporting from H265 to ProRes HQ. If you want to work in a non compressed video format, I suggest you to convert to DNxHR HQ.

Also, I suggest you to check, the following things:

• Your color space. Are you using the following one:
1569237600691.png

• Your render settings, try with this one:
1569237883500.png

Nice shoot!

About your problems with Resolve 16, why are you exporting from H265 to ProRes HQ. If you want to work in a non compressed video format, I suggest you to convert to DNxHR HQ.

Also, I suggest you to check, the following things:

• Your color space. Are you using the following one:
View attachment 82233

• Your render settings, try with this one:
View attachment 82234

There seems to be no clear consensus on the DNxHR vs. ProRes comparison. My Color Management settings are exactly as yours except that my data levels are set to full. I had a lot of gamma issues with the 'Video' data setting for my pro video work until someone suggested the 'Full' setting and that export matches the color grade in the timeline (most of the time).

Contemplating a modified workflow, I could convert the MP4's to ProRes before editing, but that's just more work and more data storage. Most of the time the ProRes exports look fine. I'm not sure why these exports came out so contrasty, but I hate contrasty images. I'd rather it be recognizably flat than crushed blacks any day. There may be some issue with how Resolve handles some of the grading controls between the color wheels and the 2 panels of controls below. Perhaps Resolve doesn't like redundancy between them. I don't know... postulating... I'll have to try some tests, start over with the grades on a few clips. The highlights, shadow and contrast controls may be suspect...

I may have to anticipate the gamma shift and flatten out my grade before export until I figure out what's causing it. Fortunately, I retained my export queue for all of these exports so I don't have to go back and re-set my I/O points.

Reactions: eutx9795
Great vid!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98