DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Close call today: how can I learn exactly what I did?

hammick

Reactions
So I was flying off my deck today. Lots of trees nearby but it was pretty easy to maneuver and get above the trees. Did it about six times no problem. Once even in sport mode by accident.

On the last landing I was about three feet of the deck and I initiated what I though was an auto landing (I swear I had to swipe the landing feature). Well my MPP started to ascend and was about to hit a tree branch. I stopped it with the pause button and then maneuvered away from the tree. There was a stiff breeze so it was drifting towards the tree. Then manually landed without incident.

Anyway the flight log (screen shot below) indicates that I initiated a RTH. But I swear I received a swipe confirmation to land.

Is there anyway to know exactly what button I hit? The flight log doesn't show it.

Assuming I hit the RTH on the phone screen I was hovering just three feet off the home point. It should have just landed and that is why I think it gave me the swipe prompt. Not sure why it started to ascend.

Thanks for any help.

PS learned a valuable lesson today never to initiate RTH or auto land in tight areas. The pause button takes a second or two to pause the Mavic

j3ma8iP979-DPPUFpfiYWKVgfJ1zgaeoCMNvr-_Wj_R7Y_BVnxcrAFIXj4_ku1LJ1GEo-ohl8Ww1UC3ahmrYvrYEG_H9VIj12uXuYXY0kn-QkWBcrYhORDu2bgZfB50DcMVwk0NlwP4JEqbqbRoPQDIR8xPiXcjKD1snjmfFu4ZRE5eRwnjLhf1trbadJzbEiG-g94qa-4bOCEkQ2khKJ8Fzu2m9uAoj6oO0b-xhavwflIsLPrQgYGJ-2WbZoLTXiyIAfGzvggrxwrNCh7X_OULz5tkz6pPLXtY9ul_bUaovIOlMHk4IbzfgdJ09w4qcwcuVU6L2CjXhf8anwFqaL0cSNNc6oTxNZ8nej4GX2FoSHfXOpSa1sQd5BGZNiIPmsje7yT1jZLA9LcBT9qg0cU6VSouDIbRp4lqrdFk_0a_fR0NKaq9XbMSscyHJGgzBpGZAZuB0b_yEqGFqgDvqYyIniRigzdFlYpThGwtMbnQ9ADSxKuNdIfH32f2jd2RE0RiAwakMaEBHd232AxNjcnjrLemMHD968b-j8cJL4bUTdPsUV7ZkTjaYTAc8ukSt7KT8Svn2JoJtU_U7Irnt3sXI0DmfpbZHiMYGfbDarg=w405-h720-no

Looking at my screenshot it shows my MPP thought I was 17' from my home point. That explains why it started to ascend. It doesn't explain the swipe prompt.

Is there anyway to know exactly what button I hit? The flight log doesn't show it.
Please upload your TXT flight log here and post a link back here. You'll find instructions for locating your TXT flight log at that link.

Please upload your TXT flight log here and post a link back here. You'll find instructions for locating your TXT flight log at that link.

Thanks. I'll get on that this evening. Something I need to learn so I'm not scrambling to figure out how if I ever love my MPP.

So I was flying off my deck today. Lots of trees nearby but it was pretty easy to maneuver and get above the trees. Did it about six times no problem. Once even in sport mode by accident.

On the last landing I was about three feet of the deck and I initiated what I though was an auto landing (I swear I had to swipe the landing feature). Well my MPP started to ascend and was about to hit a tree branch. I stopped it with the pause button and then maneuvered away from the tree. There was a stiff breeze so it was drifting towards the tree. Then manually landed without incident.

Anyway the flight log (screen shot below) indicates that I initiated a RTH. But I swear I received a swipe confirmation to land.

Assuming I hit the RTH on the phone screen I was hovering just three feet off the home point. It should have just landed and that is why I think it gave me the swipe prompt. Not sure why it started to ascend.

Thanks for any help.

PS learned a valuable lesson today never to initiate RTH or auto land in tight areas. The pause button takes a second or two to pause the Mavic

j3ma8iP979-DPPUFpfiYWKVgfJ1zgaeoCMNvr-_Wj_R7Y_BVnxcrAFIXj4_ku1LJ1GEo-ohl8Ww1UC3ahmrYvrYEG_H9VIj12uXuYXY0kn-QkWBcrYhORDu2bgZfB50DcMVwk0NlwP4JEqbqbRoPQDIR8xPiXcjKD1snjmfFu4ZRE5eRwnjLhf1trbadJzbEiG-g94qa-4bOCEkQ2khKJ8Fzu2m9uAoj6oO0b-xhavwflIsLPrQgYGJ-2WbZoLTXiyIAfGzvggrxwrNCh7X_OULz5tkz6pPLXtY9ul_bUaovIOlMHk4IbzfgdJ09w4qcwcuVU6L2CjXhf8anwFqaL0cSNNc6oTxNZ8nej4GX2FoSHfXOpSa1sQd5BGZNiIPmsje7yT1jZLA9LcBT9qg0cU6VSouDIbRp4lqrdFk_0a_fR0NKaq9XbMSscyHJGgzBpGZAZuB0b_yEqGFqgDvqYyIniRigzdFlYpThGwtMbnQ9ADSxKuNdIfH32f2jd2RE0RiAwakMaEBHd232AxNjcnjrLemMHD968b-j8cJL4bUTdPsUV7ZkTjaYTAc8ukSt7KT8Svn2JoJtU_U7Irnt3sXI0DmfpbZHiMYGfbDarg=w405-h720-no
You said that there was a stiff breeze so the Mavic was drifting, I have never seen the MP drift if I had GPS satellites, perhaps went into ATTI mode and interference from house caused disconnect and RTH initiated, All conjecture from other incidents, your log files will have the answers.

Link to the log:

DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

Time to look at is 12 minutes 38.9 seconds. Doesn't really tell me much other than I was in Go Home mode. Doesn't say whether it was on the controller or the phone. I know it was on the phone as I thought I was auto landing. Doesn't indicate that I had to swipe to confirm or that I hit the pause button.

Couple things that concern me is that the IMU altitude was -9.5 feet even though I was a few feet above the take off home point.

Also wondering what the "GPS Position Nomatch" messages mean shortly after take off.

Thanks for any insight into this.

Another question. Is the flight data not saved on the Mavic's SD card or internal memory? Seems like after a disconnect and fly off and/or crash there would be a lot of data that doesn't make it to the phone or tablet.

RTH does require a swipe. Unless you initiate it by long-pressing the H button on the RC.

Thanks. That answers a lot. It hit RTH on the phone screen, swiped without reading what it said, the MPP thought it was 17' from the home point and started to ascend to the 32' which occurs when it is between 16' - 66' of the home point.

Good lesson learned with no damage to drone.

I'm surprised the Flight Data doesn't record when the Pause button is pressed. I'm 99.9% sure that's how I stopped it especially since the manual says you cannot control drone during RTH ascent.

I have some testing/training to do in an open field.

Last edited:
Sheer luck! The lesson to actually read what flight software controlling a $1000 drone says usually costs hundreds of dollars, if not the full price.

Yep. I wish there was a way to remove the RTH function from the phone screen. I'm sure the redundancy is if flying in Wifi but it would be nice to remove it.

Yep. I wish there was a way to remove the RTH function from the phone screen. I'm sure the redundancy is if flying in Wifi but it would be nice to remove it.
lesson to learn
''dont push,pull,press,hit nothing unless you look first'':rolleyes:

Reactions: Xtreme Drone Pilot
I would agree if there wasn't the hard button on the remote. I'll never fly it with Wifi.

They probably duplicate it because some pidiots would complain they couldn't find it on the screen. There has been tons of them who crashed or never saw their Mavic again because they didn't know there's that Cancel button right under their thumb.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jigjjihhwohekjgh2857