DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Close Call With Power Lines ....

VenomXts

Premium Pilot
Reactions
I am editing footage and came across this again and it still makes me cringe so I wanted to share....

I was shooing some footage in the rain and I accidentally hit the stick in sport mode as I was lining up something and went back through them....I managed to avoid hitting them but only realized it a few seconds later that it even happen and where I was.

I have worked in my yard 1000 times, im sure they are going to get me eventually.. but things like this re-amplify my need to be extra careful and baseline myself away from me being too comfortable around them in my own backyard.

Yep a lot of people have no idea how easy it would be for a mavic sized drone to slap wire similar to what's in your video together...boom, they go down or possibly blow a fuse. Could be bad depending on the outage or worse. Not worth testing.

Yep a lot of people have no idea how easy it would be for a mavic sized drone to slap wire similar to what's in your video together...boom, they go down or possibly blow a fuse. Could be bad depending on the outage or worse. Not worth testing.

Yep, luckily short of hitting and nose diving with these backyard lines, there is no way a mavic is going to connect them together and blow them as they are spaced too far apart... Good thing for this bird too lol.

However, once again I still dont want to clip them...

1592887505919.png

Even on a larger screen, wires are really difficult to see from the onboard camera. The electrical interference also can impact the compass on the AC, so even if you don't physically hit them they could impact the aircraft in other bad ways.

Reactions: Motorcycle Rider
Even on a larger screen, wires are really difficult to see from the onboard camera. The electrical interference also can impact the compass on the AC, so even if you don't physically hit them they could impact the aircraft in other bad ways.

Totally, rule of thumb here is to not fly behind them every just up and over the trees... was a very weird feeling to see myself in that position. Normally I stay far far away from all other power lines.

*knocks on wood* these ones dont seem to mess with compas or anything else but like i said i try to keep about 20 feet away from them if im at there height (which i dont fly at unless going up or down).

Hope you didn't fly in the rain too long!
The MA2 is a beast! I've flown in rain without a wet suit for probably 10 minutes total. Not heavy rain, a wee bit more than a sprinkle. Still rain.

Waiting until I can afford a Wetsuit from @Phantomrain.org so I can capture awesome storm footage.

The MA2 is a beast! I've flown in rain without a wet suit for probably 10 minutes total. Not heavy rain, a wee bit more than a sprinkle. Still rain.

Waiting until I can afford a Wetsuit from @Phantomrain.org so I can capture awesome storm footage.

It was a heavy rain storm you can see that in the end i think, And I am running one from him right now but waiting to do full review :)

It was a heavy rain storm you can see that in the end i think, And I am running one from him right now but waiting to do full review :)
Ugh, so jealous.

Florida is wetsuit-ville if there's ever been one. ?

Can't wait for the review

I agree! Power lines are more dangerous than trees as it’s hard to see them coming. They can bite you.

Here's what a hit looks like. Back in the day, resolution on the FPV was not HD. Didn't see it coming, probably could have got a job as a power line drone crash test dummy.
I love how its like BOOP ok lets just back up...

I am editing footage and came across this again and it still makes me cringe so I wanted to share....

I was shooing some footage in the rain and I accidentally hit the stick in sport mode as I was lining up something and went back through them....I managed to avoid hitting them but only realized it a few seconds later that it even happen and where I was.

I have worked in my yard 1000 times, im sure they are going to get me eventually.. but things like this re-amplify my need to be extra careful and baseline myself away from me being too comfortable around them in my own backyard.

I was lowering my MP2 to get a good shot of a buuch of cows and did not see the power lines the quad stopped i thought i was out of range and went to bring it back ,only when reviewing the footage did i see the power lines ,the quad saw them but not me .Thank you DJI

I almost...er did fly into a transmission line when coming back to land. The sensors were able to see the wire and it just did a 90 degree jump. When it jumped, the rear landing gear hit the wire knocking it off my quad. Both the landing gear and Mavic fell into the canyon but the quad recovered before hitting the ground. I learned a few things that day. My Mavic didn't stop as quickly as I thought it would in questionable winds, then I had to learn how to hand land because of the missing gear, and finally crawling down into a canyon to get my landing gear and strobe wasn't as easy as it was when I was younger.

I've had a couple of close calls with electrical wires flying my M2P.

Once right by my house with a group of wires similar to what was in the OP video. I was confident that I was above all of them and did not realize until I was editing footage that I flew between two of them.

The other time I was taking some video of some really awesome river rapids. It was still within flying hours but starting to get late. On the last pass going up river I glanced down at my screen to make sure I was lined up the way I envisioned it. All of the sudden I saw wires on the screen and turned loose of the controls. I walked down the bank to make sure I wasn't about to hit anything and eased back out of the situation. I landed and called myself lucky for not losing my drone. The bad part on this one was I rushed because of diminishing daylight and didn't evaluate the area like I should have. I didn't realize there was a power line crossing the river until I saw it on the screen.

Both times were avoidable.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada