DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Clubs operating in NFZs UK??

jedpause

Reactions
Quick question: if we are cautioned not to fly in NFZs, why do RC clubs operate freely in them..? There are a number in the Heathrow Red zone.. Doesn't make sense. Eg Hanworth Model Flying Club.. Grateful to know how and why, thanks!

Reactions: GavieboyDji
Flying clubs obtain permission to fly, have flying rules, require memberships to those that fly there or that guests are accompanied by a member, require that their members fly within the rules, and have insurance to cover damages.

This is, of course, a generalization and cannot speak for all clubs but is how it works where I live.

OK thanks, so it's really about club control and conferred eligibility.. Makes sense.. But I still question the flying in the same field when not associated with a club.... The NFZ is still in force..

... But I still question the flying in the same field when not associated with a club.... The NFZ is still in force..
The two clubs close to me will not allow non-members to fly unless accompanied by a member. This does not attempt to speak for the thousands of clubs scattered about.

I belong to a model flying club we are only allowed to fly at our field under a list of rules not of our making but that is the only option we have unless you know what these restrictions are no matter how safe and well you fly it will be bad for the club concerned and also for all who want to continue this hobby if complaints are made, clubs are generally ready to help try asking them if you get the brush off they only have themselves to blame.

Thanks for the responses guys. Don't get me wrong I'm not having a pop at clubs, I want to join one ASAP.. The point you make about clubs having authority makes sense as it shows control of members.. Thanks

Is it an RC plane club? My local one do not allow drones with automatic flight modes.

Is it an RC plane club? My local one do not allow drones with automatic flight modes.
Yes RC including drones in this case

So I found my answer by just reading the CAA rules online for the 12th time... it's quite simple really... if you are flying a drone under 7kg in a NFZ (Class A-E, not military or prison), then you can fly it! just advised not to fly within 5km of an airport (this will change to 1km with new laws), and advised that you contact CAA, so not a hard and fast rule. (Of course all the other stuff must be complied with... byelaws, 50m/150m/400ft etc. not for work), excerpt below:-

Airspace restrictions for unmanned aircraft and drones | UK Civil Aviation Authority

Controlled Airspace and Aerodrome Traffic Zones (ATZ)
UK airspace is divided into separate airspace 'classes' for Air Traffic Management purposes - these are classified by the letters 'A' to 'G, with Class A being the most tightly regulated, down to Class G being the least restrictive. Classes A to E are known as Controlled Airspace (CAS). In addition, licensed aerodromes have an Aerodrome Traffic Zone (ATZ) established around them, within which some additional rules for aircraft operations apply. Controlled airspace and ATZs are established in busier airspace, where the density of air traffic is likely to be high, and so the potential for a conflict with a manned aircraft will therefore be much greater.

Although operators of drones weighing 7 kg or less are not required to have the permission of Air Traffic Control (even when flying within Controlled Airspace or within an ATZ), the Air Navigation Order requires that any person in charge of a small drone:

• may only fly the aircraft if reasonably satisfied that the flight can safely be made
    and
  • must maintain direct, unaided visual contact with the aircraft …for the purpose of avoiding collisions. Note: The use of normal corrective spectacles is acceptable within the term ‘unaided’
In practical terms, drones of any weight could present a particular hazard when operating near an aerodrome or other landing site due to the presence of manned aircraft. Operators of small drones are therefore strongly advised to remain clear of charted aerodromes by at least a distance of 5 km, whether or not the aerodrome is in controlled airspace or has an associated Aerodrome Traffic Zone (ATZ).

The CAA will not advise on post codes and locations where drones can be flown, as this covered by the Air Navigation Order i.e. classes of Airspace. The responsibility lies with the operator to determine if the area he has chosen to fly in is suitable.

Exactly. The laws in the UK are incredibly liberal and common sense - keep it under 120m (which is still quite high) and not near airports. Check the 'government official' "Drone Assist" app for live NFZs/events closing airspace - it's brilliant.

People overthink it sometimes and some people get a little to excited and try to police things themselves.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dronewithdeshaun