DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 2 Coastal town Cobh in County Cork, Ireland

Nice, I visited my brother's in-laws in Blackthorn years ago, very nice area. We went to Cork a few times, nice busy town. The in-laws owned the Blackthorn pub back then, not anymore, both are likely buried by now. Oh, the husband was the mortician as well. People were very friendly, reminded of the times past in the US. It actually made me wary with the friendliness. I thought they wanted something.
First morning I was brought to several homes in the early mourn, and given coffee with whisky. lol
It would have been nice to have a drone back then to get vid and pics of all the places I visited while there. All I had was my old Pentax film cameras. No drones or digital cameras back then, and a fast computer was around 2.5 Mhz. lol

Reactions: FlyingDutchman90
Nice, I visited my brother's in-laws in Blackthorn years ago, very nice area. We went to Cork a few times, nice busy town. The in-laws owned the Blackthorn pub back then, not anymore, both are likely buried by now. Oh, the husband was the mortician as well. People were very friendly, reminded of the times past in the US. It actually made me wary with the friendliness. I thought they wanted something.
First morning I was brought to several homes in the early mourn, and given coffee with whisky. lol
It would have been nice to have a drone back then to get vid and pics of all the places I visited while there. All I had was my old Pentax film cameras. No drones or digital cameras back then, and a fast computer was around 2.5 Mhz. lol
People in Cork area are indeed quite friendly and welcoming. Happy to call this area my home now. And I will post more videos of the area soon!

I'm visiting Cobh for a week in mid August 2022 and would like some advice. What registrations/legal approvals do I need (I'm in Canada) and what are the best places to fly a drone near Cobh/Cork county.

I'm visiting Cobh for a week in mid August 2022 and would like some advice. What registrations/legal approvals do I need (I'm in Canada) and what are the best places to fly a drone near Cobh/Cork county.
You need permission if you fly over someone's private property and in a few places DJI has placed some GeoZone restrictions, but all in all I think it's one of the better countries in Europe to fly your drone. I don't know if as a non-Irish or non-EU citizen you need anything else in particular.
Great places to fly near Cork and Cobh would be the Ballycotton cliffs, Old Head of Kinsale, Robert's Cove and many other beautiful spots. Are you planning to rent a car? If you do, then 1 hour from Cork there's Gougane Barra and 1.30 hours there is Baltimore, which offers some beautiful spots!

You are so kind to respond. Thank you. I will have a car and will check out as many spots as I'm able. I've completed UAS training and certification. I'm not sure which IAA category they place Mavic 2 Pro as it's specifications are slightly over the 900gram mark. I'm sure if I stay away from people I'll be fine.

with a car you can actually also go to other counties such as Kerry and Clare (where there are the Cliffs of Moher). Very scenic areas that are excellent for flying your drone. There is this route called the Wild Atlantic Way that you can follow along the coast that is just breathtaking. If you plan to come to Ireland only once in the upcoming period, maybe that's the way to go. You can see a fair bit if you drive!

I don't know if the 900g drone makes it more complicated. Personally I have a <250g drone.. But I wouldn't worry too much about the people. By my experience Irish people tend to be quite curious and are more likely to just find it interesting, rather than to be annoyed. So I think you will have a great time flying!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS