DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

COLD Temperature Flying

I've kept it at -10°C or above this winter at ground level. I'm sure it's colder than that in the sky. No issues. I keep my batteries warm before I fly. On the few days it was colder than that, I kept it grounded.
With a successful 0°F (-17°C) flight, I'll try -10°F (-23°C) next.

The key is starting the flight with a warm drone battery [ 77°F (25°C) ] and monitoring the battery temperature and voltages VERY carefully in-flight.

It can be done safely for those reading!

I understand the minimum operating temperature of the Mavic Air 2 is 14°F (-10°C) per page 47 of the v.1.4 user manual.

Where I live it is forecast to get down to -17°F (-27°C) in the next few days.

I have successfully flown my MA2 with a surface temperature of 5°F (-15°C) in clear skies to avoid propeller ice. I started with a 68°F (20°C) battery to avoid power issues and the battery temperature surprisingly INCREASED to 77°F (25°C) by the end of the 20 minute flight. I do not expect any issues flying in even colder temperatures.

What is the coldest temperature you have successfully flown in? I'm curious to hear any first hand experience flying in close to -17°F (-27°C) weather. Cheers!
it's really all about humidity. Colder air is denser, so lift is better... but you don't want ice forming on the props in high humidity.

it's really all about humidity. Colder air is denser, so lift is better... but you don't want ice forming on the props in high humidity.
It's not all about humidity. I don't think the drone will fly in -100°F dry air. But point taken!

Successful MA2 flight at -23°F (-30°C). I started with a 77°F battery and the battery never cooled below 75°F. It can be done!

I understand the minimum operating temperature of the Mavic Air 2 is 14°F (-10°C) per page 47 of the v.1.4 user manual.

Where I live it is forecast to get down to -17°F (-27°C) in the next few days.

I have successfully flown my MA2 with a surface temperature of 5°F (-15°C) in clear skies to avoid propeller ice. I started with a 68°F (20°C) battery to avoid power issues and the battery temperature surprisingly INCREASED to 77°F (25°C) by the end of the 20 minute flight. I do not expect any issues flying in even colder temperatures.

What is the coldest temperature you have successfully flown in? I'm curious to hear any first hand experience flying in close to -17°F (-27°C) weather. Cheers!
I have flown in very cold weather with a mini. Over -15C. Many times. My channel has clips of flying in a blizzard with no problems.

This video I was flying in almost -20C

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sedmonds