DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

COLD Temperature Flying

airbuspilot

Reactions
I understand the minimum operating temperature of the Mavic Air 2 is 14°F (-10°C) per page 47 of the v.1.4 user manual.

Where I live it is forecast to get down to -17°F (-27°C) in the next few days.

I have successfully flown my MA2 with a surface temperature of 5°F (-15°C) in clear skies to avoid propeller ice. I started with a 68°F (20°C) battery to avoid power issues and the battery temperature surprisingly INCREASED to 77°F (25°C) by the end of the 20 minute flight. I do not expect any issues flying in even colder temperatures.

What is the coldest temperature you have successfully flown in? I'm curious to hear any first hand experience flying in close to -17°F (-27°C) weather. Cheers!

Last edited:
So we fly below zero temps whenever we can , we dont worry to much about props icing up as we have yet to have any issues and Utilize the Wet Suits to insulate the battery for an extra 6 Degrees of heat being that its an air tight seal

We use the Car to keep the batteries Warm until we take off flying from inside the car.

So -5 Degrees below Zero with 25 mph wind chill .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your DJI in the Freezing Rain / Snow

Last edited:
Reactions: joeywestside
So we fly below zero temps whenever we can , we dont worry to much about props icing up as we have yet to have any issues and Utilize the Wet Suits to insulate the battery for an extra 6 Degrees of heat being that its an air tight seal

We use the Car to keep the batteries Warm until we take off flying from inside the car.

We test both the Mavic 2 and the Phantom 4 Pro . The Air 2 has also made the Journey in the cold.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your DJI in the Freezing Rain / Snow

What's the coldest temperature you have flown in?

And "below zero temps" Fahrenheit or Celsius?

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
...I have successfully flown my MA2 with a surface temperature of 5°F (-15°C)...
You can't draw any conclusions from that you made it once, you never know how close you were to any disastrous. Generally all safety margins gets smaller in really cold temps, materials gets brittle, moving components don't run as smoothly & batteries don't perform as they should.

It's as claiming that your car engine can manage it without oil as you could have it running without it for 5 minutes ...

...started with a 68°F (20°C) battery to avoid power issues and the battery temperature surprisingly INCREASED to 77°F (25°C) by the end of the 20 minute flight. I do not expect any issues flying in even colder temperatures...
The LiPo chemistry performs in a reliable way in certain temp spans ... just because that the battery is above the temp where GO4 advice against take off (usually 15C degrees) when you get airborne, doesn't mean that a temp that low also is good once flying regarding voltage drops when put under strain, general wear of the battery & flight times. Those 25C degrees is way to low after a 20min flight ... if examining your logs from that flight I wouldn't be surprised if you had massive voltage drops to way lower voltages then usual ... perhaps really close (3V/cell) to where the AC commands force landing.

If you want to play it safe & keep your batteries in shape ... respect the lowest temp specified in the manual.

Those 25C degrees is way to low after a 20min flight
Page 26 of the user manual states:

"To ensure the optimal performance of the battery, keep the battery temperature above 68°F (20°C)."

Last edited:
Please reference the first sentence of my post. ?
This is what can happen if flying in cold weather & pushing the amp draw from the battery ...

1612527692348.png

This happened during a very short max push forward together with ascending ... this voltage sag wasn't noticed or seen in any way before I checked the log ... with the lowest cell at 3,167V there, it wasn't far from a forced auto landing without me knowing.

The battery didn't behave like this in warmer circumstances ... this is the risk you take when pushing the specified lowest temperatures.

This is what can happen if flying in cold weather & pushing the amp draw from the battery ...

View attachment 123181

This happened during a very short max push forward together with ascending ... this voltage sag wasn't noticed or seen in any way before I checked the log ... with the lowest cell at 3,167V there, it wasn't far from a forced auto landing without me knowing.

The battery didn't behave like this in warmer circumstances ... this is the risk you take when pushing the specified lowest temperatures.
What was the starting temperature of your battery?

What was the starting temperature of your battery?
That chart is from a Mavic Air 1 used with a android phone ... unfortunately meaning that the log doesn't report the battery temp. But the battery was taken from room temperature, stored in a inner pocked in my down jacket. DJI GO4 didn't advised against take off so it was for sure over 15C degrees.

This was from a flight from last winter ... it was somewhere between -5C/-10C if I recall it correctly & the MA1 is rated to a operating temp from 0C degrees.

Of course the battery condition play in here ... but this battery was healthy, constantly monitored though the logs, approx 40 charge cycles, never on full charge more than 48h & always stored at 50%.

So ... as said, flying in colder temps put a lot stress on the batteries, it severely limits the discharge rating of the battery & increase the internal resistance which leads to a high risk for voltage drops under load. If you're unlucky one cell falls under 3V & the AC starts a force landing you can't abort ... if batteries are used on regular basis in environments like this permanent damage can occur.

Remember, wind chill applies only to people and animals. The only effect wind chill has on inanimate objects, is to more quickly cool the object to the current air temperature. The object will NOT cool below the actual air temperature.
Think we all can agree on that Thumbswayup ;)

That chart is from a Mavic Air 1 used with a android phone ... unfortunately meaning that the log doesn't report the battery temp. But the battery was taken from room temperature, stored in a inner pocked in my down jacket. DJI GO4 didn't advised against take off so it was for sure over 15C degrees.

This was from a flight from last winter ... it was somewhere between -5C/-10C if I recall it correctly & the MA1 is rated to a operating temp from 0C degrees.

Of course the battery condition play in here ... but this battery was healthy, constantly monitored though the logs, approx 40 charge cycles, never on full charge more than 48h & always stored at 50%.

So ... as said, flying in colder temps put a lot stress on the batteries, it severely limits the discharge rating of the battery & increase the internal resistance which leads to a high risk for voltage drops under load. If you're unlucky one cell falls under 3V & the AC starts a force landing you can't abort ... if batteries are used on regular basis in environments like this permanent damage can occur.
Good information. Next week I'll share how the Mavic Air 2 performs in -17°F (-27°C) temperature.

I also maintain my batteries very well. It makes me happy to see someone else who does too!

1. I land with 20% battery
2. I wait a few hours postflight before recharging the battery
3. If not flying for a few days: charge to 60%
4. If flying same-day: charge to 95% (double battery life with this trick)

I just love these temperature debates! As a design (EE) engineer, I have had to "sign up" to temperature/voltage specs.
Just because someone has a successful flight outside of temperature specs doesn't mean the next flight won't end in disaster. Based on my experience, I don't even fly close to the temperature spec (at both extremes)...and that doesn't account for additional constraints on battery performance (not talking about "failure").
YMMV.

Reactions: slup
I just love these temperature debates! As a design (EE) engineer, I have had to "sign up" to temperature/voltage specs.
Just because someone has a successful flight outside of temperature specs doesn't mean the next flight won't end in disaster. Based on my experience, I don't even fly close to the temperature spec (at both extremes)...and that doesn't account for additional constraints on battery performance (not talking about "failure").
YMMV.
What is the weakest link of the Mavic Air 2 taking off and flying in -17°F (-27°C) weather?

Assume the battery at takeoff is 68°F (20°C).

What would fail first? The camera gimbal?

I realized that battery damage and voltage irregularities can be avoided by:

1. Starting the flight with a 68°F (20°C) battery
2. Monitor battery temperature in flight to ensure does not decrease below 68°F (20°C)

At some (for now unknown) outside air temperature, the heat generated will be insufficient to maintain a battery temperature of 68°F (20°C).

I'll find out what that temperature threshold is and report back.

What we found by putting the Battery in the Freezer overnight , that the battery would not start the drone in the Morning.. Took about 5 minutes for the battery to warm up and the drone started up.

So length of time in the cold is much more critical than how cold it is.
Once the drone starts up , your should be able to maintain a flight but on a much shorter time span.

Keeping your Batteries Warm before flight , most essential part of flying in the cold.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Air 2 in the Pouring Rain /Snow

What we found by putting the Battery in the Freezer overnight , that the battery would not start the drone in the Morning.. Took about 5 minutes for the battery to warm up and the drone started up.

So length of time in the cold is much more critical than how cold it is.
Once the drone starts up , your should be able to maintain a flight but on a much shorter time span.

Keeping your Batteries Warm before flight , most essential part of flying in the cold.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Air 2 in the Pouring Rain /Snow
I agree. Start your flight with a "warm" battery of 68°F (20°C) and even in 0°F (-17°C) weather, no battery failures should be expected.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magic31