DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Cold-weather flying

jerryj

Reactions
I live in St. Louis the weather is around 34°F can you fly in that kind of weather

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Just got back from an almost 5 kilometer flight. Current temperature is -7 C and I flew at 100 meters and the Mavic performed flawlessly. The one thing I did to deal with the cold was fill a tube sock with rice, put it in the microwave for 2 minutes and then wrapped it around my battery for about 10 minutes pre-flight. This brought the battery temperatute to 32.9 C. Interestingly, when I got back, the battery had a temperature of 28.4 C.

Reactions: voxelman
I'm in Southeast Iowa. Took my Mavic up for the first time yesterday with temperatures in the teens. The Mavic didn't seem to have any problems but my iPhone shut down unexpectedly. When the Mavic landed the fan was running so it sure wasn't having any problems with the temperature.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

I made the mistake of running a cold battery this morning. It resulted in an early low battery warning. It was mid 20's

Yep - keeping them warm makes a difference. People have even put them in coolers with a small hand warmer that would normally go in a glove for winter flying.

My main concern are the flimsy looking rubber bands that hold the gimbal. No one thinks that they may crack under the cold? I'll be going down to Antarctica in jan and was hoping to catch a few aerial shots.

30dee65fa8fe6b9ebafb4b8214c81d2c.jpg

Today is the day I will fly. Wish my fingers luck!

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

I've flown mine a few days where the temp was between 20-28F. My fingers were frozen the first time! After that I opted for some thin warm gloves. The Mavic did great, although the battery didn't last 27 minutes.. as you would expect. It did last about 20 minutes though.

No problem flying today, by the way, this temp is in Fahrenheit.
IMG_1540.jpg

Reactions: Mavric
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78