DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Cold Weather Flying?

I'd need to go back and check my notes but I'm pretty it's 32F that the batteries won't start the motors (I think there is reduced thrust up to 35F). So the batteries would need to be at least 32F. They also start to warm up when used. I'd suspect that the outside temps would need to be way in the negatives to make the battery any colder. Personally, if it's under 0F.... I'm not flying. Heck, I'm not even going outside!
Yeah,I haven't had a chance to try flying at or below 32 degrees. Having the batterys inside the vehicle staying warm,is a big advantage in helping the battery cope with the outside temps.
Since this is a thread about cold weather flying, what does this have to do with the subject?
Yes it dose! I stated earlier in this thread I wanted to be able to video deer out in cold weather!

That was a cold weather video from my window in my house does that make it better for you. Do it all year round from house and truck.

Reactions: GooterFly68
Ok just sharing what I do out of my truck. You need to relax not a big deal, but now I find it a little funny since I like stirring [emoji90] !

Ok just sharing what I do out of my truck. You need to relax not a big deal, but now I find it a little funny since I like stirring [emoji90] !
Not surprised that you have a huge interest in
emoji90.png

Your not worth the finger cramp. What you are is where that came from.

I've flown my Mavic at -20C (-4F) without any problem. The motors seemed to turn fine and, assuming they run at the same RPM as when warmer, the props will have MORE thrust in the denser air. The electronics seem unaffected by the cold, the battery only marginally affected.
I start with a warm Mavic and battery and she seems to keep herself warm enough when flying.
And now that I know that the RC link will work fine from inside my truck (or house, or cabin), I'll be able to keep my fingers comfortably warm and the tablet screen in the shade!

Last edited:
Reactions: Pard and pixl
I've flown my Mavic at -20C (-4F) without any problem. The motors seemed to turn fine and, assuming they run at the same RPM as when warner, the props will have MORE thrust in the denser air. The electronics seem in-affected by the cold, the battery only marginally affected.
I start with a warm Mavic and battery and she seems to keep herself warm enough when flying.
And now that I know the RC link will work fine from inside my truck (or house, or cabin), I'll be able to keep my fingers comfortably warm and the tablet screen in the shade!
You guys know serious cold weather up there.

Reactions: raymo
I fly from inside my car nearly year round. In the summer it is nice to have the a/c, be bug free, and the sun off the screen.

In the winter, a warm car is nice.

No range problems, plus I can be less visible as I fly so fewer pedestrian looky-Loos bugging me.

As others have pointed out- your car's floor mat is a great make-shift launch pad, especially in the snow

I fly from inside my car nearly year round. In the summer it is nice to have the a/c, be bug free, and the sun off the screen.

In the winter, a warm car is nice.

No range problems, plus I can be less visible as I fly so fewer pedestrian looky-Loos bugging me.

As others have pointed out- your car's floor mat is a great make-shift launch pad, especially in the snow

By the way, I'm in wisconsin. Haven't had any troubles flying in the cold weather, though I haven't tried below 0 degrees F.

Even crashed my old phantom 3s, lost it in a golf course where it sat out in a snowstorm for 3 days when I found it and it turned back on and flew no problem. Dji makes some hearty products.

By the way, I'm in wisconsin. Haven't had any troubles flying in the cold weather, though I haven't tried below 0 degrees F.

Even crashed my old phantom 3s, lost it in a golf course where it sat out in a snowstorm for 3 days when I found it and it turned back on and flew no problem. Dji makes some hearty products.

Let’s hope you’re right on your DJI statement. I️ just put my MP in the Olentangy River yesterday. She’s drying out now and will fire her up in a couple more days...Focusing on the “HEARTY” right now...

Let’s hope you’re right on your DJI statement. I️ just put my MP in the Olentangy River yesterday. She’s drying out now and will fire her up in a couple more days...Focusing on the “HEARTY” right now...

Wtf how did you do that? i’m also in cbus... what’s a good place to get some downtowns footage without getting in trouble?

Wtf how did you do that? i’m also in cbus... what’s a good place to get some downtowns footage without getting in trouble?

Whelp you know what they say about don’t back up unless you know what’s behind you? Yeah, I’m the guy that didn’t listen. Backed up a lil too far, clipped a branch, and in she went...

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I’m very new to this and haven’t flown anywhere downtown as of yet. However, I️ plan on venturing down that way soon and try to figure out how to get some video shots of the Shoe...of course flying on the outside perimeter and not over is all I’ll want to do.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Velmapeterson