DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Cold Weather Flying?

Ron_Dog

Reactions
I went out this morning in hopes of seeing some deer in the river bottoms. The temp was 37 ,and the wind was at 12mph. After flying my first battery,my fingers were frozen. Sitting in the truck,warming up my hands,I thought about how well the MP would fly from inside my truck? I placed my landing pad back outside again,closed the door and took off for the second flight,not sure what to expect? The flight went great (still no deer showing up though) and I didn't notice any signal loss/interfearance,at all. This gives me a whole new outlook on flying in cold weather!;)Cold Weather Truck Flight 10:28:17DJI_0011.JPGCold Weather Truck Flight 10:28:17DJI_0003.JPG

Last edited:
I went out this morning in hopes of seeing some deer in the river bottoms. The temp was 37 ,and the wind was at 12mph. After flying my first battery,my fingers were frozen. Sitting in the truck,I thought about how well the MP would fly from inside my truck? I placed my landing pad back outside again,closed the door ant took off for the second flight,not sure what to expect? The flight went great (still no deer showing up though) and I didn't notice any signal loss/interfearance,at all. This gives me a whole new outlook on flying in cold weather!;)View attachment 23896View attachment 23897
I am in Wyoming, winter is the best eight months of the year here (and plenty of deer and antelope.)

I am in Wyoming, winter is the best eight months of the year here (and plenty of deer and antelope.)
Post some pictures when you get them!:)

I found the biggest problem when flying in freezing temperatures was iPad Mini dying very quickly and unpredictably. That aluminum back shell transmits cold to the battery instantly! A couple of handwarmers duct-taped to the back would be a good idea.

I 3M taped a battery pack to the back of my tablet to charge the controller and the controller charges the tablet... keeps the battery at 100% for a long time... even in the cold.
2a5gn4l.jpg

2m26hjk.jpg

Cold Weather Truck Flight 10:28:17DJI_0012.JPG Went out for another flight from inside the truck cab(the colder it gets,the better I like it). Not one problem,plus I didn't get cold,or my extra batterys! I'm liking this!:) Hot Coffee,music,plus heat!

Last edited:
I can't believe that more guy's don't try this with cold weather comming on? I haven't noticed any loss in range,and it sure is nice to be inside out of the cold.Not to mention that you don't need a sun shade either.

I've got a couple Jeeps (fiberglass or soft top), so no interference. I've also played with having the Mavic track the Jeep while on the trail. The cold weather is just getting here. I can see flying from inside the Jeep as being much nicer than trying to fly my helicopters while standing outside. :D

Reactions: Ron_Dog
Dash board.jpg
I've got a couple Jeeps (fiberglass or soft top), so no interference. I've also played with having the Mavic track the Jeep while on the trail. The cold weather is just getting here. I can see flying from inside the Jeep as being much nicer than trying to fly my helicopters while standing outside. :D
Strangley enough,the metal top on the truck cab seems to have no effect on the MP,or Tx.?:confused: I do hold the Tx. so the antenas are facing the MP either through the windshield,or side window. Today I parked the truck so the windsheild was facing the direction I was going to fly around in. Never had one problem and I was out pretty far away.

Last edited:
I went out flying this weekend when it got down to 40 here in Texas.
I don't mind the cold so much. I wanted to see the effects of cold on flight time.
I have a course I made that specifically covers 3.5 miles and usually I get the battery down to around 40% or so when it's hot out. This weekend I got in 2 flights and both times I had 55% remaining. Apparently the cold actually helps battery life. This was with the new props but I don't think they add that much.
Just thought I'd toss that out there.

[/ATTACH]
I went out flying this weekend when it got down to 40 here in Texas.
I don't mind the cold so much. I wanted to see the effects of cold on flight time.
I have a course I made that specifically covers 3.5 miles and usually I get the battery down to around 40% or so when it's hot out. This weekend I got in 2 flights and both times I had 55% remaining. Apparently the cold actually helps battery life. This was with the new props but I don't think they add that much.
Just thought I'd toss that out there.
It's in the low 40's here,and I also didn't notice any flight time loss? Maybe when it's colder it will effect the flight time? I do think having the iPhone,Tx,plus extra batterys inside the truck,might have something to do with it also. They are nice and warm before the flight. Went out this morning,and it started to rain!:( Then I look at the field out in front of me,and there's deer everywhere!:mad: Oh well,tomorrows another day!:oops:

Attachments

• Deer in the field!.jpg
    Deer in the field!.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 211
Last edited:

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacjes