DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Cold Weather Flying?

Whelp you know what they say about don’t back up unless you know what’s behind you? Yeah, I’m the guy that didn’t listen. Backed up a lil too far, clipped a branch, and in she went...

That sucks... But sorry, I chuckled at that video. A nice smooth serine pull back and then... Whoops!

Drone bloopers crack me up. And I've had my share.

Good luck with the dry-off!

Reactions: GooterFly68
That sucks... But sorry, I chuckled at that video. A nice smooth serine pull back and then... Whoops!

Drone bloopers crack me up. And I've had my share.

Good luck with the dry-off!

72 hours of drying, fired it up, and everything was cashed. Sent it in under DJI Refresh Express and getting a new one...

Reactions: Pp09nlk2n
I 3M taped a battery pack to the back of my tablet to charge the controller and the controller charges the tablet... keeps the battery at 100% for a long time... even in the cold.
2a5gn4l.jpg

2m26hjk.jpg
Great idea. What mAh rating is that Pocket Juice and did you consider an Anker product? Thanks!

I went out this morning in hopes of seeing some deer in the river bottoms. The temp was 37 ,and the wind was at 12mph. After flying my first battery,my fingers were frozen. Sitting in the truck,warming up my hands,I thought about how well the MP would fly from inside my truck? I placed my landing pad back outside again,closed the door and took off for the second flight,not sure what to expect? The flight went great (still no deer showing up though) and I didn't notice any signal loss/interfearance,at all. This gives me a whole new outlook on flying in cold weather!;)View attachment 23896View attachment 23897
Where I fly, the problem is the heat ( usually around 35c) so I have always launched and then sat in the cabin with the aircon going - not noticed any difference in signal strength so far.

Keep those batteries warm, I've seen DJI Warning on the screen stating the battery was too cold to fly safely. Presumably they actually dissipate a bit of heat while discharging.

I also fly from inside my car. Best thing about it is you don't attract unwanted attention.

My IPad has also gone black from direct sun overheating. That's a thrill. Thank goodness for the home button on the controller.

I tried to fly last weekend for our last Fireworks shoot of the year. I was going to attempt a video at night but I ran into a small snag. I got a warning about the battery being below 15 degrees c.
Since I didn't want to chance something going wrong, and I'm still apprehensive about flying at night, I went ahead and landed without getting any video :(
Has anyone else seen that error?

as I remember Controller wouldn't let me fly till I warmed up Mavic battery , Interesting that battery apparently got cold in flight ?

Yes, It had been up for I guess about 5 minutes when the red banner came up on the screen. I had never seen that message before.
The mavic was sitting out for about 15 minutes before I actually started it up. After reading through this thread I now know to warm the batteries in the car or something till right before I'm ready to fly.

I did the same thing. You just have to make sure your pointing your antennas in the direction of your craft. I flew behind a tree and just over a mile away. I love this thing. Lol

I went out this morning in hopes of seeing some deer in the river bottoms. The temp was 37 ,and the wind was at 12mph. After flying my first battery,my fingers were frozen. Sitting in the truck,warming up my hands,I thought about how well the MP would fly from inside my truck? I placed my landing pad back outside again,closed the door and took off for the second flight,not sure what to expect? The flight went great (still no deer showing up though) and I didn't notice any signal loss/interfearance,at all. This gives me a whole new outlook on flying in cold weather!;)View attachment 23896View attachment 23897

So can you keep your drone with in your visual line of site, from inside your vehicle?

I.have been flying in the car in this heat is Savannah for a while.

View attachment 23935 Went out for another flight from inside the truck cab(the colder it gets,the better I like it). Not one problem,plus I didn't get cold,or my extra batterys! I'm liking this!:) Hot Coffee,music,plus heat!
View attachment 23935 Went out for another flight from inside the truck cab(the colder it gets,the better I like it). Not one problem,plus I didn't get cold,or my extra batterys! I'm liking this!:) Hot Coffee,music,plus heat!
Flying inside the truck doesn’t limit the signal?? I would think the vehicle antenna would interfere.. but good to know

I was doing a job at a race track last summer. Temp was mid 90s. I don't handle heat well and flew all the missions inside my nice air conditioned Jeep. Mavic was always VLOS) and had no issues. I also didn't have to worry about my iPad overheating.

I 3M taped a battery pack to the back of my tablet to charge the controller and the controller charges the tablet... keeps the battery at 100% for a long time... even in the cold.
2a5gn4l.jpg

2m26hjk.jpg
timmy -
What Asus tablet is that you got that fits the controller? Pretty sweet vs. iPad mini cost wise I am guessing.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Britt