DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Cold weather

There are even photographers gloves that have removable tips
Edit; oh mentioned already as hunting gloves! but doing a search reveals the many options
Edit, Edit; there's even a video of a chap making a mitten thing and sewing holes for the antennas

Last edited:
Reactions: megalot
Forecast today 26C. Glad gloves are never an issue here

LOL:D you always get one...

But,

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Thanks for the above reply’s guys;) dont want to wear anything to big & cumbersome but nice & thin so I still have control with the sticks & screen.

Good idea but I wonder if that would work with a CS monitor.
Im sure some type of rubber point stylus would work....they can be had virtually anywhere...

Edit: when i say im sure im like 72% positive in all seriousness should work they are relatively cheap doesnt hurt to try.

Im sure some type of rubber point stylus would work....they can be had virtually anywhere...

Edit: when i say im sure im like 72% positive in all seriousness should work they are relatively cheap doesnt hurt to try.

Yep I thought it was a good idea but I also need cloves that are not going to interfere with the sicks, something like Lycra but will still keep my little pinky’s warm.

Gonna check out some today hopefully;)

First impressions of the N' Face ETIP are good.
Nice stitching and look good.
The screen control is excellent using any of my digits. Has a grippy (like silicon rubber) texture on the palm side between the thumb and first 2 fingers.
About right in terms of thickness/bulk.
Yet to test in minus °C
DSC_0354.JPG
DSC_0351.JPG
DSC_0353.JPG

Reactions: Porky
I fly from in my vehicle, never had a problem with cold hands.
Even from inside my truck i get more than enough range.

They look very nice, how are they with stick movement.

They look very nice, how are they with stick movement.
I'm comparing them to my old 1 size fits all (shown in reply #6) for feel which is like wearing a pair of woolly surgical gloves.
The ETIPS are far thicker and I would compare them to neoprene cycle gloves but with more free movement.
Controlling the RC seems good with no restriction with moving sticks, wheels or buttons, but I haven't field tested them as of now, though I will do in the morning when taking my MP for an early morning frostscape:)
I'll report back after then:)
The fingertip control is impressive on my tablet.

Last edited:
Reactions: Porky
I'm comparing them to my old 1 size fits all (shown in reply #6) for feel which is like wearing a pair of woolly surgical gloves.
The ETIPS are far thicker and I would compare them to neoprene cycle gloves but with more free movement.
Controlling the RC seems good with no restriction with moving sticks, wheels or buttons, but I haven't field tested them as of now, though I will do in the morning when taking my MP for an early morning frostscape:)
I'll report back after then:)
The fingertip control is impressive on my tablet.

Would be interesting to see how you get on with the new gloves tomorrow morning.

Report back, yeah? Lol;)

Reactions: SpinItUp
DSC_1213.JPG
Well, the cold kinda bites (it was 1 below when I went outside to test with temp' slowly rising) and they're not the warmest gloves as the cold penetrates the outer layer, (my old thermal blue 1 size fits all, were much better at suppressing the cold).
As for control of the RC with them on they posed no problem at all but again same as before my blue ones give better feel with no restrictive movement at all...I'll only use these for the convenience of the ETIP.
If I could find another pair of thermal 1 size fits all and apply some conductive liquid on them, that's what I would do! I used to have them as liners for motorcycle gloves and are good on their own for stuff like this when they have holes in to provide some touchE touchE.

View attachment DSC_1211.JPG

Edit; or emigrate to Perth, Aus' :D
Edit Edit; bonus video snapshot pic, from my test this cold & frosty morning! (Malvern and Clee Abberley Hill/s) WORCS. on the Horizon from L to R respectively)
(Hovered above my home as the wind was blowing and the chill factor would be alarming up there at 400ft)

Last edited:
I warm the truck up sit inside and fly as when it's warm, still have vlos and all is good.

Also keeps next battery warm and ready.

View attachment 51899
Well, the cold kinda bites (it was 1 below when I went outside to test with temp' slowly rising) and they're not the warmest gloves as the cold penetrates the outer layer, (my old thermal blue 1 size fits all, were much better at suppressing the cold).
As for control of the RC with them on they posed no problem at all but again same as before my blue ones give better feel with no restrictive movement at all...I'll only use these for the convenience of the ETIP.
If I could find another pair of thermal 1 size fits all and apply some conductive liquid on them, that's what I would do! I used to have them as liners for motorcycle gloves and are good on their own for stuff like this when they have holes in to provide some touchE touchE.

View attachment 51901

Edit; or emigrate to Perth, Aus' :D
Edit Edit; bonus video snapshot pic, from my test this cold & frosty morning! (Malvern and Clee on the Horizon from L to R respectively)
(Hovered above my home as the wind was blowing and the chill factor would be alarming up there at 400ft)

Many thanks for your review on your new pair of glovesThumbswayup much appreciated. Loved the pic of the temp before you flew, blimey that was cold..ish, temp here this morning was 3.5c on my weather station, pic below
B9597111-3236-4BF8-A326-CAD2AB83B3CF.jpeg
I think I’ll carry on looking until the right pair turn up but I’ve had my eyes on these of a couple of days now..
75B984F7-92D3-42C5-84E0-7129C0B48AA5.jpeg
I think as long as they are thermal & not to big for stick control I should be ok.

I shot a lot in the cold, and I would be much more worried about your aircraft than your fingers! Only the Inspire is rated below freezing, the mavic is not. It's imperative that you keep the batteries warm. I kept mine on an inside pocket. I used rain-x on the props to keep them from icing, and I flew through snowstorms with the protective bulb on. (it saved me for sure a few times)

Realistically you want to reduce your expected flight time by 20%, and I reduced my ceiling based on the cold as well. Bring your voltage up on the screen at all times, and if it's anything but green bring her down ASAP. With a flight time of around 10-12 minutes your hands should be fine, and if they're cold, your bird is colder! I never flew with gloves, and most of the time I would even take my hat off to remind me of just how cold it is. #nodroneleftbehind :)

I shot through the winter of Northern Vermont:
(Slower edit / real time)

(Faster edit / time remapped)

Just my two cents, keep posting!

I shot a lot in the cold, and I would be much more worried about your aircraft than your fingers! Only the Inspire is rated below freezing, the mavic is not. It's imperative that you keep the batteries warm. I kept mine on an inside pocket. I used rain-x on the props to keep them from icing, and I flew through snowstorms with the protective bulb on. (it saved me for sure a few times)

Realistically you want to reduce your expected flight time by 20%, and I reduced my ceiling based on the cold as well. Bring your voltage up on the screen at all times, and if it's anything but green bring her down ASAP. With a flight time of around 10-12 minutes your hands should be fine, and if they're cold, your bird is colder! I never flew with gloves, and most of the time I would even take my hat off to remind me of just how cold it is. #nodroneleftbehind :)

I shot through the winter of Northern Vermont:
(Slower edit / real time)

(Faster edit / time remapped)

Just my two cents, keep posting!

I’ve also flown in cold weather so I’m fully aware of the battery issues, hence why i had a battery warmer for my Inspire 1.;) But my problem has always been my little pinky’s... so that’s the reason I started this thread.

I want to fly & be comfortable while doing so but the 1st thing that gets cold are my fingers. We all wrap up in big coats/boots etc so why not gloves.

That’s my thoughts for what it’s worthThumbswayup

Last edited:
Reactions: RTKD
I want to fly & be comfortable while doing so but the 1st thing that gets cold are my fingers. We all wrap up in big coats/boots etc so why not gloves.

That’s my thoughts for what it’s worthThumbswayup

Flight again earlier this morning when at 2.6°C belowDSC_1221 (1).jpg(that's when I got back inside) with my ETIP N'Face gloves, as the wind was non-existent I did a proper flight and the cold did hold off through til my battery was 30% and more because I messed about after bringing it home and landing.

Very good control although the cold was starting to penetrate through the gloves it didn't give any discomfort to fingers as it would without.
Only did 1 flight so after a battery change with some warming of the gloves they would be good to go.
Happy with my purchase:)

Edit Got them from here as I wasn't prepared to fork out over £30

Got them from here as I wasn't prepared to fork out over £30

Many thanks for the link, much appreciated. Just curious.. what part of the uk are you from? Only reason I’m asking cos at the mo your getting colder weather where you are then I’m getting here down in the south east. You must be up north somewhere..

Makes us sound like wooses compared to what sort of cold weather they get across the pond in Canada.. but yeah we fill the cold here in the uk.

Love your little weather station;)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aeronkat