DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Color Style and Profile When Shooting Raw Still Shots?

Flyhigh1

Reactions
My question is when shooting still in Raw do i need to adjust my sharpness, contrast, and saturation along with the color profile meaning D cinelike, none, etc? I can't find any helpful videos on youtube. Thanks

If you are shooting stills in RAW you want the camera set to manual & do all the editing / tweaking in a dedicated program like Lightroom or something free like Darktable.
THIS guide is worth a look.
You can download Darktable HERE

Thank you for the reply. However I'm still not clear on the color profile and style settings if they in fact adjust a raw picture or if it's only for jpeg?
I always shoot in manual and use Aurora HDR 2019 to edit.

My question is when shooting still in Raw do i need to adjust my sharpness, contrast, and saturation along with the color profile meaning D cinelike, none, etc? I can't find any helpful videos on youtube. Thanks
On the MP1 the color settings and profile settings do carry over to the RAW photos at least if you edit with Lightroom/Photoshop, other editors may be able to ignore this data idk. Kind of an odd situation forsure.

On the MP1 the color settings and profile settings do carry over to the RAW photos at least if you edit with Lightroom/Photoshop, other editors may be able to ignore this data idk. Kind of an odd situation forsure.
Really? Wow I didn’t know that! I think there is a big misconception that it does not affect raw photos. I’ve heard people say it does and I’ve heard people say it doesn’t.

Really? Wow I didn’t know that! I think there is a big misconception that it does not affect raw photos. I’ve heard people say it does and I’ve heard people say it doesn’t.
I should say I know the color profile is baked into the DNG but I only assume the style settings are.

I can make some extrapolations from what I know about other DJI aircraft and say that setting the color profile to “normal” is the base color profile, so if the profile didn’t get baked your photos taken in D-Log color should look the same as if you have normal profile set.

Some people actually find this arrangement beneficial because they can shoot 12-bit RAW photos in D-Log and maybe squeeze 14-bit information out it. Idk if this is even technically feasible but alas, some people prefer it.

Pretty much with all other cameras the profile and style would not carry over to the RAW but in this case they do so it’s easy to see why people have this misconception.

This is likely due to DJI using DNG natively and maybe an error on their part and far as how that profile information is written to the DNG. All manufacturers will write their color science into RAW files but not picture profile information or at least that resides on a separate layer of the RAW file which can be disregarded.

Now as far as how it works in Aurora it should be easy to test. Take a photo in D-LoG and then take one in normal and see if there’s a difference. Should be obvious. I’ll be shocked if it doesn’t bake in the profile too.

I thought those color profiles were mainly for video. I shoot only RAW for still images and develop the DNG files in Photoshop 2021 . You could also use Lightroom.

I go mainly by the excellent settings video of Jeff Greene @10:46.

Last edited:
Ok so I found my answer today while playing with my Mavic Pro. Even when shooting in Raw the color profile and style setting DO MATTER! That being said there are a lot of youtube video out there talking about best video setting for color and style but haven't found any on best color and style settings for still raw shots.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman