DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Colorado Springs?

Just moved from So Cal to "the Springs" … I'm a Pro Phorgrapher who uses my drone for various gigs, but especially real estate.
Just moved from So Cal to "the Springs" … I'm a Pro Phorgrapher who uses my drone for various gigs, but especially real estate.

Bill,
Welcome to Colo. Spgs. We have lived in Woodland Park for 49 years ,all that time in real estate. I'm new to flying my own drone DJI mavic air and am looking for a mini pad for my controller and would so appreciate suggestions. Dave 719 687 2036

Hi, Dave … I have a Mavic Pro, so my advice may not be totally accurate for the Air. I spent considerable time researching tablets to replace the intended use of a cell phone … much larger screen. Of course this was nearly 2 years ago. I chose the Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 … at the time it seemed the preference of many experienced users. It has now been replaced by several newer models, but mine still does a great job. Even though DJI tech support claims it is not supported by DJI Go 4, it works well once properly booted up. Since it cost quite a bit, I'm not in the mood to replace just yet. But if you are shopping, then look at the newer Tab S4 … S3 may still be available. Also check out the DJI CrystalSky ... it has been drawing a lot of attention. BUT ... I must mention that may use Apple products … iPad Mini for example. Again … I'm totally happy with my Samsung Tab S2. Plus: holds it's charge for a LONG time … Minus: wish it were just a bit brighter. But for now it works great, since I use a hood. Of course with any larger tablet, you'll need a holder that attaches to the remote in place of the cell phone. Hope this helps ...

Welcome to the area, Bill. I live in southern Jefferson County, about 50 kM north of The Springs. Pointers, since you are new to the area: 1. Acclimatize. 7,000 ft means thin air. Take it easy for a while until your body gets used to this altitude. 2. The same thin air means that your drone's batteries won't last quite as long, so just be aware. 3. The SUNLIGHT will be a LOT stronger here, so you may need stronger ND filters. 4. Folks are very friendly here!
Jim

Thanks, Jim! Your advice is noted. Altitude is not an issue for us. I had not considered the effect on batteries, but your comment makes sense with the thinner air. Fortunately, I have 3 batteries ready to go. I'll keep an eye on the battery gauge. Typically when I fly for real estate, I'm only up for 10-15 minutes. It would be fun to fly socially … never done that.

Interesting comment on sunlight … but it makes sense. I'll check it out. And yes, folks are friendly! However, Jim … they do have the tendency to drive like maniacs!!! I've never seen so much tailgating ;-(

I appreciate your comments, Bill

Last edited:
Tailgating leads to tailgetting -HAR! Yes, I-25 through The Springs is a "thrilling" experience. I hate that stretch of road. I have trouble understanding how they decided to allow 75 MPH that far into the city, and on such a winding stretch. It is very scary. When going from Jefferson County, I like to take Rte 105 as far as possible (Monument) instead of the interstate. Whenever possible, I take back routes.

BTW: Rte 105 is a VERY PRETTY route, with light traffic. Lots of farm country, with bison, alpaca, llamas, and there's even a couple of ranches near Perry Park with retired circus animals (elephant, etc.)

Hi Bill,
Jeffrey Wagner here. Lived in the Springs since the military dropped me here in 1994. Love the area! I am Part 107 but mostly fly for fun. Back issues have taken me away from golfing ( which I was never good at anyway) and flying. My biggest hindrance to flying is the fact I live 1.5m within the KCOS Class C. I’ve established rapport with the Tower and do not notify (as per AMA rules), and written the same to the AP OPs. Just had implant for SCS in the back. Waiting for better weather to get out again. A great area for some farting around is the Mesa Ridge Open Space, just across the street from the VA clinic. Woodland Park area is great and so is the Cripple Creek and Victor area. Another wonderful area is the Palmer Lake area. There are multiple places to fly in the Springs in spite of the close proximities of the airfields here.

My setup is the Mavic Air, Samsung SM-T380 8” tablet which fits snugly in the controller, and the Note 8, plus more than what I need! I have been flying off and on since March 2018 and love it.

As far as real estate is concerned, I was using the MA in tripodmode (with ear protectors) for internal videos, now I use my DJI Mobile 2 and supplement with the drone external. If can say, make a good contact with some of the local insurance agents. This area is known for some heavy duty hail damage to homes and cars.

What I really want to do is visit some historical sites and fly LITCHI just for me! It is a lot of fun to try to capture differing views and then attempt to piece together a post product.

I welcome you to the area and wish you the best.

R,
Jeffrey

Just moved from So Cal to "the Springs" … I'm a Pro Photographer who uses my drone for various gigs, but especially real estate.

Welcome to the Springs

I've been here since 93. Retired Army Helicopter pilot, Part 61 Commercial Rotary Wing and Part 107 for fun, I do a lot of my open space flying out east.

Bill, Jeffery we need to get together since the weather is starting to get a little more bearable. I have access to a perfect staging area out on 94 (just outside of the COS airspace).

I blew out my lower colon on March 10. Came home from Memorial ICU on the 20th. Lost 25 pounds in an instant. Now, in OT and PT to regain strength. Poop in a plastic bag from abdomen. 10 minute walk to mailbox and back to front door. Mailbox is in front of house, at least 3 breaks. Count me down but never out! My best to all.
Jeffrey

Welcome! I'm a born native and always happy to tell people where to secret spots are! There are many. Great place for a drone! This is Red Rock Open Space.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adsjr