DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2s Colorado's most Popular & Stunning 14er skied in winter conditions, Quandary Peak, Breckenridge!

Karlewski

Reactions
I had great ski & hike up Quandary Peak's east ridge last Friday. A true sidewalk to the sky. Happily, a winter conditions ascent only has a fraction of the climbers visiting compared to summer, during the prime season there is literally 100's every day. Here's a GREAT preview of the climb, Enjoy!

I thought to drum crashing along with the fall was fitting. . . the snow conditions were tough, as is generally the case with alpine skiing, I did have one portion of the mountain 1/2 way down where it was melted but not heavy slush other wise it went from rock hard to heavy slop. . .
Parallel ridges. . . .? could you be more specific?

Around 0:50 the animation shows 4 'parallel' lines of mountains.
That's what nature does. Some ridge lines in Colorado were formed from lava flows coming out of a mountain and then millions of years later the rest of the mountain wore away so all you see are the ribbons of rock that were once the lava flowing up through fissures, to get to the surface of the once, mountain.

Other ridges may be what the glaciers carved out, so were the stronger part of the original mountain as the ice ground its way down, leaving just those ridges. Though with those you saw, I'm not sure how they were formed or why that way. Most Austrian valleys in the Alps, where I lived for many years, would have ridges but the glacially formed valleys were flat, as the ice slid down the mountain creating those deep valleys.

For the parallel ridges shown in this video, you'd have to ask some geology expert.

I had great ski & hike up Quandary Peak's east ridge last Friday. A true sidewalk to the sky. Happily, a winter conditions ascent only has a fraction of the climbers visiting compared to summer, during the prime season there is literally 100's every day. Here's a GREAT preview of the climb, Enjoy!
Fantastic video Karl. I once owned a condo in Breckenridge - bought high, sold low. Then rented for many years. Gorgeous country. Gorgeous scenes, and of course, your expertise in all things "mountain" are amazing. Can't decide of the drone views or the skiing were better.

Just returned from 2 weeks in Atacama Desert (Chile) and Chiloe Island (Chile). Tons of equipment and now tons of material. It's the me at leas a month to create the video. Astrophotography and droning are all terrific.

Dale
Miami

Nice video! Winter in the mountains is the best! We live in Estes Park and the summers can get pretty crazy in the hills. I'm pretty impressed you were able to fly. Here in Estes I'm pretty much grounded from about Oct/Nov until mid to late May due to the winds. Happy and safe flying!

Thanks guys! I did have several high wind warnings during the morning flights and ground speeds as low as 10MPH during gusts. The mountains around Breckenridge are growing more and more on me, convenient and beautiful. Excited to see your new stuff Dale, I've often thought about heading down there for the climbing in Patagonia or the Andes but wow does it look rough. . . .

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
henryairsoft1