DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Columbia River Gorge guide to restricted areas?

Duke_Mulligan

Reactions
Hi all,

Headed to North Bonneville, WA and Cascade Locks, OR for a few days, and I’m having trouble determining if/where I can fly in the area. Lots of state and national forests, parks, etc., as well as some recently added restrictions from late 2020 at “scenic area recreation sites” such as Multnomah Falls.

Anyone know of a guide, or have recommendations for nearby areas to fly? Or is that whole area locked up pretty tight?

Thanks in advance!

I used to live in Cascade Locks many years ago, very scenic area, but a large fire burned through the area awhile back. Looks like North Bonneville and Cascade locks have no restrictions.

A quick search of USFS returns this:
The page link: Drones and aircraft link

Drones can pose safety risks in high-use recreation sites or disturb wildlife. Drone possession is prohibited in the Mark O. Hatfield Wilderness.
Our regulations also prohibit drone takeoff and landing at the following sites:
Hope this helps
Cheers!

Reactions: Duke_Mulligan
Follow up - thanks @db4476 , I was able to successfully navigate around the restricted areas and get some great shots!

I’m scoring some music to add to a collage of our trip highlights, so it will be a while, but eventually hope to get it posted.

Follow up - thanks @db4476 , I was able to successfully navigate around the restricted areas and get some great shots!

I’m scoring some music to add to a collage of our trip highlights, so it will be a while, but eventually hope to get it posted.
That's good news! Glad I could be of assistance. Stay safe and happy flying.

Cheers!

Relieved to find this thread. Longtime Portland-based photographer, newbie recreational (for now) flyer (P3P.) I’m somewhat confused though…I thought National Recreation Areas were all NFZ, just like national parks? But the above forest order seems to cover just some specific areas. Surprised too that areas near locks and dams are seemingly ok. @db4476 I wouldn’t mind picking your brain sometime?

Reactions: db4476 and LloydPDX
Relieved to find this thread. Longtime Portland-based photographer, newbie recreational (for now) flyer (P3P.) I’m somewhat confused though…I thought National Recreation Areas were all NFZ, just like national parks? But the above forest order seems to cover just some specific areas. Surprised too that areas near locks and dams are seemingly ok. @db4476 I wouldn’t mind picking your brain sometime?
As a former PDX citizen I'll give my 2c LloydPDX.

1st, Kudos to the Forest Service who for the most part are friendly towards drones except for wilderness areas, areas deemed to be sensitive and high use areas. The Columbia River National Scenic area is mostly open except some trails and the wilderness which is south of the Scenic area, mainly at the summits going south.

As for dams, the Army Corps of Engineers manages Bonneville dam, and they have a no flight policy on all areas they manage. This document is several years old but is issued by the Corps PDX office, click the VIEW button to read the whole document.

Corps PDX office Drone policy

The scenic area is large, with many opportunities to fly a drone somewhere within it. Just use common sense, and you should be ok with your drone. Be aware that there is a state airfield in Cascade Locks, but it is very lightly used.

Hope this helps,
Cheers!

I was able to do some nice flying in the area, but there are some spots that are ambiguous. Would have loved more time out there, for sure.

The Bonneville Dam is one such ambiguous spot, the perimeter directly around the dam (on the Washington/Bonneville side) is all fenced off and clearly Corps of Engineers zone. However, the land to the west is a nice size recreation area listed as the “Fort Cascades Historic Site” and there aren’t any clear markings about whose authority the land is under.

Well, I found out after our trip, that rec site is managed by the Army Corps of Engineers. The website for the Portland District (as of date of this post), states “Drone policy: For both safety and security reasons, the operation of aircraft, including drones (formally known as Unmanned Aircraft Systems) may not be operated within 500 feet of operational areas at Corps projects. This includes land with structures such as dams. Click here for the complete District policy memo.” Link is to the document @db4476 posted. So, whether you can fly from the rec area or not, I’m not sure. There is definitely enough room to stay 500’ away from the operational area. Probably a call to the Dam operations authority line would clarify. It would be a fantastic spot to fly from. When we went to the visitor center inside the dam, they actually specifically asked if we had any drones in the car at the guard station (thankfully I had left mine at the Airbnb).

If you continue to the East on 14, there’s a small roadside historic site on the south side of the road, maybe 1/2 mile down, basically just a gravel lot with a couple plaques. I flew from there and was able to get some nice shots of the other side dam, as well as the river in the other direction, and even caught a paddlewheeler riverboat and another cruise boat passing each other right in front of me, on their way in/out of the locks. Good place for the morning due to location of the sun, and maybe a good sunset over the dam if you can get the light right. I also flew to the west of Cape Horn, from one of the roadside pull-offs, it was a fair place to get the river and I did get some great textured stills of the clouds that day, although it would be nice to be able to get closer to Cape Horn if nothing else to get it in the distance, but that would be tough.

One thing I wanted to do but wasn’t able to was get some good footage of trains along the river. I had some great spots picked out between Stevenson and Bingen, but it ended up being too windy that day. I was able to get a really good sunset over a barge and Bingen one evening. Still bummed about the trains though. There was also a kiteboarding festival going on that I wasn’t able to get, and would’ve been cool.

Just a tidbit, we stayed at the Artbliss Hotel in Stevenson (which are actually nice little cedar cabins), and it was very cool. Definitely recommend if you need a place to stay.

I’m considering getting into the hobby and live in Stevenson, WA on an exposed hilltop. Wind gusts are commonly on the 30’s and 40’s. Thoughts from this group on what drone Is most capable with winds and a guess on how frequent I’ll be able to fly throughout the year? Just not sure it’s even worth entertaining given the wind tunnel on the gorge

I don’t have a chart of max wind in mph for various drones handy.

Common gusts to 30 or 40mph may mean 40 or 50mph at 200’ altitude, and there may be bumpy air on the downwind side of hills & mountains.

In your shoes I’d keep living on a hilltop in Stevenson (! sounds lovely), buy a good learning drone, fly my area when it’s calm (early mornings? Evenings?), and explore flying the Gifford Pinchot National Forest. Other than the wilderness areas the forest is a *lot* of territory. Wilderness is no-fly, in your area starting from the south I think that’s the Mt. Adams, Trapper Creek and Indian Heaven wildernesses.

I was up on Sleeping Beauty with a 360 camera a couple summers ago… somebody else was getting some drone shots!

I’m considering getting into the hobby and live in Stevenson, WA on an exposed hilltop. Wind gusts are commonly on the 30’s and 40’s. Thoughts from this group on what drone Is most capable with winds and a guess on how frequent I’ll be able to fly throughout the year? Just not sure it’s even worth entertaining given the wind tunnel on the gorge
Boy does that wind scream down the slot at times. I lived in Cascade Locks for several years and was into windsurfing back in the day, I lived for that wind.

As for drones, at the bare minimum, I would have no problem flying a Mini 2 which can handle winds up to 10m/s or 23 mph. Next up in price the Air2 or Air 2s @ 10m/s - 23mph. About the same as the mini 2.

Going way up in price, the Mavic 3 is rated at 12m/s or about 27 mph. Not a lot of difference between the models.

As for flying in the Gorge, the Forest Service is open-minded about drones except for sensitive areas and wilderness areas. Bonneville dam and the high tension power lines are a big no-no, the Corp of Engineers really frown upon that and the Mount Hood wilderness area on the south side of the river is a no go. Cascade locks has a state airport also but for the most part the Gorge is open to drones.

Hth.
Cheers!

I don’t have a chart of max wind in mph for various drones handy.

Common gusts to 30 or 40mph may mean 40 or 50mph at 200’ altitude, and there may be bumpy air on the downwind side of hills & mountains.

In your shoes I’d keep living on a hilltop in Stevenson (! sounds lovely), buy a good learning drone, fly my area when it’s calm (early mornings? Evenings?), and explore flying the Gifford Pinchot National Forest. Other than the wilderness areas the forest is a *lot* of territory. Wilderness is no-fly, in your area starting from the south I think that’s the Mt. Adams, Trapper Creek and Indian Heaven wildernesses.

I was up on Sleeping Beauty with a 360 camera a couple summers ago… somebody else was getting some drone shots!
thanks! Any specific make/model you suggest as a "good learning drone?"

Boy does that wind scream down the slot at times. I lived in Cascade Locks for several years and was into windsurfing back in the day, I lived for that wind.

As for drones, at the bare minimum, I would have no problem flying a Mini 2 which can handle winds up to 10m/s or 23 mph. Next up in price the Air2 or Air 2s @ 10m/s - 23mph. About the same as the mini 2.

Going way up in price, the Mavic 3 is rated at 12m/s or about 27 mph. Not a lot of difference between the models.

As for flying in the Gorge, the Forest Service is open-minded about drones except for sensitive areas and wilderness areas. Bonneville dam and the high tension power lines are a big no-no, the Corp of Engineers really frown upon that and the Mount Hood wilderness area on the south side of the river is a no go. Cascade locks has a state airport also but for the most part the Gorge is open to drones.

Hth.
Cheers!
Thanks! I'm also considering FPV. Thoughts?

thanks! Any specific make/model you suggest as a "good learning drone?"
After regularly flying 5 different drones and owning a couple I’m still super impressed with the Mini 2.

It’s a good camera (no 4k-60p), small enough for hiking & other human-powered adventures, it’s relatively inexpensive, the batteries are way less costly than larger drones, has good battery life, as easy to fly as any GPS-stabilized drone. It’s a good beginner drone and its a keeper for the other things it does well.

If I weren’t as concerned with image quality and was concerned about price I’d consider the Mini SE.

I’ve not had an opportunity to fly the new DJI Mini 3 Pro. It is a camera upgrade (as well as some other things).

Fly more combo (FMC) are a good deal for most people.

After regularly flying 5 different drones and owning a couple I’m still super impressed with the Mini 2.

It’s a good camera (no 4k-60p), small enough for hiking & other human-powered adventures, it’s relatively inexpensive, the batteries are way less costly than larger drones, has good battery life, as easy to fly as any GPS-stabilized drone. It’s a good beginner drone and its a keeper for the other things it does well.

If I weren’t as concerned with image quality and was concerned about price I’d consider the Mini SE.

I’ve not had an opportunity to fly the new DJI Mini 3 Pro. It is a camera upgrade (as well as some other things).

Fly more combo (FMC) are a good deal for most people.
So appreciate the feedback! I really am drawn to the mini 3 pro, but hesitate after reading about the Air2S being much more capable of handling high winds. Sounds like I can't go wrong with either option. Probably will save myself some cash and go with the mini- thanks again!

Hth.
Cheers!
I live in Vancouver and fly in the Gorge all the time. I have a Mavic 3 and a Mini 3 Pro. The Mavic 3 is much better in windy conditions mainly because it is heavier and the props are farther apart. I just had Lunch in Stevenson today as a matter of fact in my way back from a trip to The Coyote Wall (video coming soon).

Hi all,

Headed to North Bonneville, WA and Cascade Locks, OR for a few days, and I’m having trouble determining if/where I can fly in the area. Lots of state and national forests, parks, etc., as well as some recently added restrictions from late 2020 at “scenic area recreation sites” such as Multnomah Falls.

Anyone know of a guide, or have recommendations for nearby areas to fly? Or is that whole area locked up pretty tight?

Thanks in advance!
Becon Rock or any place that is not a Wildlife Refuge is pretty good. There are lots of great places East of Stevenson as well.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bahamaboy242