DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Commercial Use Of Drones In Canada By US Citizens

Letac

Reactions
Hi,

I have a job coming up in British Columbia that will involve flying a drone (I am licensed under Part-107.) Anyone familiar if flying commercially in Canada is even possible for foreign citizens? I just emailed Transport Canada to inquiry about this but that may take some time.

Thanks!

Well, good old Canadians have an answer to my question right here. I should have googled more before I posted the question. If anyone else wonders, here is the full answer to my question:

"As you would be classified as a 'foreign UAV operator,' you will need to apply for a Special Flight Operations Certificate (SFOC). SFOCs are the primary means to work legally with your UAV in Canada and are administered by Transport Canada's Civil Aviation Regional Offices.

For more information on submitting an SFOC application, please contact the regional office that best corresponds with the region of Canada you intend on operating in.

For more information on Canada's UAV safety guidelines, please visit our Drone Safety website."

If anyone has the same question, here is a direct response I got to my email from Canada Transport:

1. Can I as a US-based remote-pilot fly commercially in Canada?

According to the regulations, foreigner UAS operator operating in Canada or a commercial purpose require to submit an application for Special Flight Operations Certificate. Please review criteria outlined in the website linked here Flying your drone safely and legally - Transport Canada

2. If the answer to the previous question is yes, then what do I have to do?

Please complete the application and provide all mandatory documents outlined on page 3 of the 12 pages application package. The application can be downloaded or completed via this link http://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Corp-Serv-Gen/5/forms-formulaires/download/26-0835_BO_PX.

When submitting the application, please attach mandatory documents via PDF files and use a series of emails for the attachments if needed. Files sent via Cloud drive/Drop Box will not be accepted. The application can be sent to this email address.

This document will assist you in completing the application Staff Instruction (SI) No. 623-001 - Transport Canada.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato