DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Compare LAANC providers - AirMap vs. Kittyhawk. Which one do you use?

Acknowledging that I may have an unusual airspace situation in my area, I will say that Kittyhawk has some quirks that prevent me from getting authorization through their app in the local controlled airspace covered by LAANC. I can get authorization through the other two FAA approved LAANC providers. I actually contacted them about the issue & they basically blamed the FAA. Seemed a bit of a lame excuse to me so I'll be sticking with AirMap.

What if your flying and there’s no grid on the map

Usually that means uncontrolled airspace and thus no authorization is needed. Post the location here if you want to double check with the community.

What if your flying and there’s no grid on the map
No grid as in LAANC grid? Could still be controlled airspace just without LAANC coverage. I'd consult UAS Facilities Map and VFR charts to verify controlled or uncontrolled airspace.

Usually that means uncontrolled airspace and thus no authorization is needed. Post the location here if you want to double check with the community.
I was at the beach I think it’s a special air space

I use them both but prefer Kittyhawk.
I’m a hobbist try to figure out how they both work I was trying to fly on both of them but wouldn’t let me fly I think I was in uncontrolled air space cause there was no grid I could take off but no video on my iPad

No grid as in LAANC grid? Could still be controlled airspace just without LAANC coverage. I'd consult UAS Facilities Map and VFR charts to verify controlled or uncontrolled airspace.

Attachments

• 9F18C201-1B09-4400-998A-70A5EDC04971.png
    9F18C201-1B09-4400-998A-70A5EDC04971.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 42

Looking at the sectional chart, that's in an Alert area where there is a high level of student jet training, but legally it is permissible to fly there without any additional airspace authorization.

If you are going to fly there, make sure you keep an eye out for any jet traffic in the area.

Looking at the sectional chart, that's in an Alert area where there is a high level of student jet training, but legally it is permissible to fly there without any additional airspace authorization.

If you are going to fly there, make sure you keep an eye out for any jet traffic in the area.
87BDA3F4-3126-47E7-9075-919F69378545.png

That’s the same air space with air map where it has Port Aransas

Last edited:
That’s the same air space with air map

The orange circles without gridsquares are mostly uncontrolled airports. If you unselect the "Airmap" layer in the Airmap app, it won't show things that aren't legal prohibitions to flying.

The orange circles without gridsquares are mostly uncontrolled airports. If you unselect the "Airmap" layer in the Airmap app, it won't show things that aren't legal prohibitions to flying.
so what do the big blue squares mean it says I’m in special use air space
does that mean I can’t fly there

The app say rules I’m violating is special use air space can you fly in special use air space

Depends on the type of Special Use Air Space. Alert Areas do not require authorization.

Depends on the type of Special Use Air Space. Alert Areas do not require authorization.

The reason I’m asking cause that was one of my favorite places to fly I would take videos of ships and other vessels coming in and out of the port but I went the other day and went on the dji app,Kittyhawk,and AirMap and couldn’t fly on either one of them I could take off but no video feed on my iPad

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bigbrute