DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Compass calibration every flight

Spin around dance? I thought I was supposed to do it by hand. Is the correct way to hold it and turn your body around?
Yes

Welcome to the Mavic Air world :) The one thing that irks me is the fact I have to do at least 2 MA compass calibrations before most flights. The first always fails. I see the MM is using the same unreliable compass. :confused:

Reactions: OneQuickSix
My MA is the same. I just suck it up and do it. I have watch that I always have to do this with.

Yes it is a standard on the MA but makes it tough when you have that fleeting shot and little time and then the dreaded compass nonsense.

If you get a compass error, move your Mavic a few inches/feet. I have to do this on my home's back deck to avoid the screws in the wood that I can't see. I have only calibrated my MPs compass a couple times in two years just to learn how to do it. I fly within 50 miles of my home a couple times a week & never ever get a requirement to calibrate. I use the RTH feature at least once a week just to watch my MP do its thing - it lands within 6" of the take-off spot every time...;)Thumbswayup
This poses a question - Doesn't the Return To Home (RTH) feature use GPS points? What is the compass used for on our Mavics?
~

RTH uses GPS satellites until the final few feet of descent when it is looking for the spot it registered when it first took off... providing you gave it a few seconds at 4-10’ hover to do so. It works well except in my dusk landings after filming sundown, but even then the bird lands within 10-12” of TO point.
The compass display is of little use to me unless I’m way out in the boonies as long as I have VLOS.

My M2P asks at intervals for compass calibration... seems like every 4-8 weeks or so. I also, as stated above, find that usually moving the drone a few feet away from an “invisible” ferrous object will solve the compass calibration request.

I'm so glad I searched and found this thread before I started a new one! I've had mine for about 3 weeks now, still learning, flying indoors and a little outdoors. I've had to recalibrate now 3 times. Today I flew about 5 minutes outdoors, then when I brougt it indoors I got the recalibration of compass needed message. I wondered if this was due to the poor lighting indoors vs. sunny and bright outdoors conditions?

It takes 20 seconds, you should do it in new areas you fly regardless of alert or not.

Actually there is no technical reason to calibrate just because you moved location. It achieves nothing at all except, perhaps, a false sense of security.

Move your bird a few inches to a couple feet somewhere else & your calibration requirement will go away. Launching from cement usually requires calibration, because there is rebar in the cement. I've had my MP for over two years & the only time I have calibrated the compass was to do it to see how to do it...

I fly a Spark mavic 2 zoom and mavic mini. The first two almost never ask for compass calibration the mini comes up with the message almost every day I fly it. Sometimes more than once a day. Moving it a bit sometimes stops the message. My impression is that the mini is to sensitive to magnetic interference.

I'm also seeing the mini call for calibration more than the M2. It only takes a minute to do it. Spin on one axis, spin on the other. I'm wondering if once calibration request is triggered, it gets locked on until you do it, even if you've removed the cause.
The MM is also lower to the ground so may be more susceptible to interference.

I flew 100 miles away from my usual flying area last week while traveling. I had one compass calibration request. Once set, it was good for the area. Flew 3 batteries. I will adhere to the request, if called upon. It only takes a moment and increases my comfort. I wish for more things in life, that cost as little time to provide a peace of mind. Enjoy your safe flying.

Ever since I updated my Mavic Mini to the newest firmware I have been directed to calibrate my compass before every flight. Has anyone else experienced this?

My old Spark asked me to calibrate the compass before every flight, so I kind of got into the habit. Now I just calibrate the Mini before every flight, and have never had any issues during my flights!

Ever since I updated my Mavic Mini to the newest firmware I have been directed to calibrate my compass before every flight. Has anyone else experienced this?
I have calibrated my Mavic Mini's compass was when I bought it (4 months ago) and never again, until the last update. Now on every flight it asks me to calibrate it..

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParKOR