DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Compass Calibration Issue

StevenM

Reactions
Greetings all! Long time reader - first time poster. I really appreciated the community aspect here and am hoping that I can get a solve to my issue.

I've read every post that involves compass calibration and still nothing's working for me.

First: This Mavic had work properly 8 months. Compass calibrated with no issues. I traveled with the unit a bit and then tried flying and it would not calibrate properly.

Here's the breakdown:

Problem? Compass calibration. Will not calibrate on the horizontal rotation (never goes green). In the vertical orientation rotation, the light goes green BUT the app does not change from the horizontal orientation instructions. So looks like one compass will but one will not.

I have tried calibrating in 5 different places including two nature fields 1/2 mile away from anything man-made.

Also seeing: "Compass Error. Exit P-GPS Mode"

Was unit in a crash? Yes, I tried to fly it without the calibration (dumb) and it was uncontrollable and crashed. No exterior damage, inside... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

What have you tried so far?: Downgrading firmware = no fix. Installing latest firmware = no fix. Running a magnet over the back = no fix.

What device are you using? iPad mini, iPhone X (same results with both)

What firmware are you running ( aircraft, remote controller)?
Aircraft:
V01.04.0300
Remote Controller: V01.04.0300

What Go app version are you using? v4.2.21 (3149)

Any modification? totally stock, no mods

Did you change anything or install any apps? no

Do you have a video or pictures of the problem?
Screenshots of the app showing issues attached (deep grass, yes. Blades were removed.).
Flight log attached.

What do you all think? I can purchase and replace the rear compass (+GPS) but want to make sure that that's the real issue and I'm not sure it is yet. Anything to try or test first? I'm frustrated.

Thanks for reading and I look forward to the responses.

Best
Steven

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2018-06-11_[20-54-30].txt
    12.7 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_5978.PNG
    IMG_5978.PNG
    2.5 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_6471.PNG
    IMG_6471.PNG
    3.5 MB · Views: 29
Look in your sensor display and see if either compass is disconnected.

View attachment 40959

Thanks @Thunderdrones. Not disconnected.

Screenshot uploaded of the current compass status (I meant to upload that with in the original post, apologies). Please note: this screenshot was taken in a field with no man-made metal around. Also, no metal on my body and the controller was about 6' away when I was attempting to calibrate.

I never saw red in the compass meter until after I tried the magnet. Maybe that was foolish but I had tried everything except disassembly and compass replacement.

Thanks
Steven

Attachments

• IMG_6470.PNG
    IMG_6470.PNG
    3.4 MB · Views: 37
Not a good idea to run a magnet over the back since it's compass #2 in the front that is having a problem. :)

You could try to replace compass #1 if all you get is yellow in the sensor section, but for redundancy and safety, you will probably have to replace compass #2 as well. #2 will need to be soldered on.

Reactions: StevenM
Not a good idea to run a magnet over the back since it's compass #2 in the front that is having a problem. :)

You could try to replace compass #1 if all you get is yellow in the sensor section, but for redundancy and safety, you will probably have to replace compass #2 as well. #2 will need to be soldered on.

Thanks. Actually ran the magnet over both front and back. :D

Before I go down that road are there any diagnostics I can run that would definitively ID the issues?
Happy to run tests and grab vid or screenshots that would help ID probs.

Did you try over-rotating in your horizontal rotation? I've had it take almost 2 full turns in the past

Reactions: StevenM
Did you try over-rotating in your horizontal rotation? I've had it take almost 2 full turns in the past
Hi @Aerial-Pixel - Yes, I've spun the drone around about 10 times each try at different rotation speeds. Nothing sent the light back to green anymore.

I'd be very happy to run some diagnostics but don't see anything like that in the DJI Assistant 2.

Greetings all! Long time reader - first time poster. I really appreciated the community aspect here and am hoping that I can get a solve to my issue.

I've read every post that involves compass calibration and still nothing's working for me.

First: This Mavic had work properly 8 months. Compass calibrated with no issues. I traveled with the unit a bit and then tried flying and it would not calibrate properly.

Here's the breakdown:

Problem? Compass calibration. Will not calibrate on the horizontal rotation (never goes green). In the vertical orientation rotation, the light goes green BUT the app does not change from the horizontal orientation instructions. So looks like one compass will but one will not.

I have tried calibrating in 5 different places including two nature fields 1/2 mile away from anything man-made.

Also seeing: "Compass Error. Exit P-GPS Mode"

Was unit in a crash? Yes, I tried to fly it without the calibration (dumb) and it was uncontrollable and crashed. No exterior damage, inside... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

What have you tried so far?: Downgrading firmware = no fix. Installing latest firmware = no fix. Running a magnet over the back = no fix.

What device are you using? iPad mini, iPhone X (same results with both)

What firmware are you running ( aircraft, remote controller)?
Aircraft:
V01.04.0300
Remote Controller: V01.04.0300

What Go app version are you using? v4.2.21 (3149)

Any modification? totally stock, no mods

Did you change anything or install any apps? no

Do you have a video or pictures of the problem?
Screenshots of the app showing issues attached (deep grass, yes. Blades were removed.).
Flight log attached.

What do you all think? I can purchase and replace the rear compass (+GPS) but want to make sure that that's the real issue and I'm not sure it is yet. Anything to try or test first? I'm frustrated.

Thanks for reading and I look forward to the responses.

Best
Steven
Hi Steven. See my post in another post 'compass calibration problem'.
You need to do the opposite and demagnetize instead of running a magnet over the drone.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000