DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Compass Calibration issues

YellowMavick

Reactions
Hi All,

I've been trouble shooting my Mavic since the day I bought it.

I won't go into all the issues, but the main one I'm having that is giving me problems for flight is my compass.

When I go to compass calibration, the image shows to rotate the Mavic on the Horizontal axis.. So it's belly is pointing to the floor. The video's i've seen on Youtube also show users rotating the Mavic while the belly is to the floor.

When I do this, NOTHING happens. I rotate slowly and have done so for 15 minutes. The app hangs. Recently, I saw a video of a user doing it nose down, so I since tried to have it camera down and rotate it 360. Within one rotation it calibrated and asked me to do so while displaying an image of the Mavic on its side. I follow the instructions and boom, it calibrates in one rotation.

Now everything is set to go. The app displayed ready to fly, 14 satellites. I check my compasses and they are in the green and very low ~5 for compass 1 and 2. I launch the drone and it reaches 4 feet... Then it begins to spin and I lose control. It ends up depositing itself into a soft snow bank with 2 of the blades chipped. I'm guessing I broke the motor on one arm as well since it spins without resistance.. I'm pretty pissed off that my first flight will end up costing me the entire cost of the drone.

Am I incorrect in calibrating the compass with the nose down? Remember, the photo shows the Mavic belly side down, but rotating it as shown does nothing. When I rotate it nose down, it calibrates quickly.

Thank for the video. But like I said, I've done exactly that. I can spin and spin and spin and nothing happens. When I point the drone nose down, it calibrates in a second. Then it shows an image of it being on its side. When I rotate it as displayed then, it works.

The horizontal spinning doesn't do anything..

Reactions: StevenM
Thank for the video. But like I said, I've done exactly that. I can spin and spin and spin and nothing happens. When I point the drone nose down, it calibrates in a second. Then it shows an image of it being on its side. When I rotate it as displayed then, it works.

The horizontal spinning doesn't do anything..
Almost sounds like you are trying to do a IMU calibration instead. Performing a regular compass calibration does not require the aircraft to be placed on its side.
When you are on the status screen, you will see the compass calibration button. Is this the way you are performing the calibration? One thing to note. Slow down the rotation when you get to the 360 degree turn. Also rotate to the left counter clock wise.

Almost sounds like you are trying to do a IMU calibration instead. Performing a regular compass calibration does not require the aircraft to be placed on its side.
When you are on the status screen, you will see the compass calibration button. Is this the way you are performing the calibration? One thing to note. Slow down the rotation when you get to the 360 degree turn. Also rotate to the left counter clock wise.

Yes. I’m hitting compass calibration, the image of the mavic shows up then I begin to rotate it. Nothing happens. Just tried it again.... anyone else run into this issue?

Reactions: StevenM
Yes. I’m hitting compass calibration, the image of the mavic shows up then I begin to rotate it. Nothing happens. Just tried it again.... anyone else run into this issue?
Sorry to hear you are having this issue. I can only suggest moving to a new widely open location without any metal or magnetic interference and try again.
Otherwise there could be very well a problem. I assume that after trying, you get a failed status? Also, Is the app asking you to calibrate in the first place?
Are you receiving any such errors? What does the compass status look like under the sensors section of the app?
I hope you can get it resolved. No one wants to be grounded due to such a issue.
Best of luck..

Sorry to hear you are having this issue. I can only suggest moving to a new widely open location without any metal or magnetic interference and try again.
Otherwise there could be very well a problem. I assume that after trying, you get a failed status? Also, Is the app asking you to calibrate in the first place?
Are you receiving any such errors? What does the compass status look like under the sensors section of the app?
I hope you can get it resolved. No one wants to be grounded due to such a issue.
Best of luck..

1) I've moved to three spaces in the city and outside of the city
2) Nothing happens after I rotate slowly. I've rotated the Mavic around its own axis spinning counter clockwise and the screen just doesn't change-- it however changes if I point it down and spin it.
3) App is not asking me to calibrate anymore, but the only reason it thinks its calibrated is because I've rotated it around its own axis while camera is facing down.. Then I do it again with Mavic on its side-- which Iearned is two Y axis calibrations-- probably explains why the Drone takes off and crashes.......

4) Just spent the last hour restarting and calibrating but the screen doesn't change from the horizontal image.

When you look at the compass and UNI reading in go4 when connected to your drone what do you see ? You should have two compass readings.

When I turn on my Mavic, I get a "Ready to Fly".. If I wait for 10 minutes, it'll say "Error Compass P-- something..., Cannot fly". I go to the compass, and the readings are all in the green... Below 100 and mostly below 10.

When I turn on my Mavic, I get a "Ready to Fly".. If I wait for 10 minutes, it'll say "Error Compass P-- something..., Cannot fly". I go to the compass, and the readings are all in the green... Below 100 and mostly below 10.

Does this happen without your screen connected ?? I just the RC ? And do you get the error message in GO4 and on the RC screen?

How long have you had the Mavic ?

Does this happen without your screen connected ?? I just the RC ? And do you get the error message in GO4 and on the RC screen?
Yup. The controller will say warning check app. The app will report this. However, this isn't the problem.

When I hit compass calibration, the app will show an image of a Mavic sitting facing camera towards me and indicate to rotate counter clockwise. I'll rotate the Mavic according to all the videos on Youtube and NOTHING will happen... If I rotate it face down, the screen doesn't hang.

Yup. The controller will say warning check app. The app will report this. However, this isn't the problem.

When I hit compass calibration, the app will show an image of a Mavic sitting facing camera towards me and indicate to rotate counter clockwise. I'll rotate the Mavic according to all the videos on Youtube and NOTHING will happen... If I rotate it face down, the screen doesn't hang.

This sounds like the front compass is failing as the Mavic has one at the front and one at the rear.

I would raise a support chat with DJI as this sounds like a warrenty repair.

Have you tried a firmware refresh via Assistant 2 ?

I just unboxed the drone... fml..

Also, I posted this up on DJIs website and because I used the word tail spin, they say it no longer is covered by warranty.............

I'm pretty upset with DJI and the service at the moment.

I just unboxed the drone... fml..

Also, I posted this up on DJIs website and because I used the word tail spin, they say it no longer is covered by warranty.............

I'm pretty upset with DJI and the service at the moment.

Where did you buy this ??

Local Camera Store-- Very reputable dealer. I called them and was told that DJI only deals with customers directly and the store doesn't take refunds.

Well if this is faulty out of the box and has not been crashed then I would return i. Where in the world are you ?

Well if this is faulty out of the box and has not been crashed then I would return i. Where in the world are you ?

I live in Calgary, AB Canada... But Currently on a holiday trip to Toronto.. Thought I'd be getting good footage here. The Camera Store won't accept returns on it, so I have to mail it in directly.. This is very upsetting.. Sending support an email now.

I live in Calgary, AB Canada... But Currently on a holiday trip to Toronto.. Thought I'd be getting good footage here. The Camera Store won't accept returns on it, so I have to mail it in directly.. This is very upsetting.. Sending support an email now.

As long as this has not been crashed then DJI should cover this under warrenty, I have no idea why using the word tail spin would have anything to do with your warrenty.

Have you reinstalled the Firmware using DJI Assistant 2 ??

This can often clear issues like this as it is sometimes related the the drones firmware not always hardware.

This sounds crazy but it happened to me and someone here asked about it and it worked.....are you wearing a watch it anything else magnetic when you calibrate? Or a big belt buckle?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hippysmavic