DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Compass calibration

photo2be

Reactions
In the Mini 2 manual page 38 it says that you should calibrate you compass if you haven't been in the air for 30days or moved your drone more than 50km (east-west- east, my comment) I read in this forum a few days ago that this i "bs.".
I guess that DJI knows what they are telling in the manual.

In theory that's true, but many have had crashes due to compass issues, especially if stored near a highly magnetic source such as speakers.

I suppose DJI feels that if you've not used the drone in a while or made a significant change in location, you should calibrate to be on the safe side. Many of the models now automatically call for calibration after a period of time or distance. My MM almost always asks for it and my M2 has started asking also.
I believe the DAT file will disclose if the call for calibration was triggered by time/location.

In theory that's true, but many have had crashes due to compass issues, especially if stored near a highly magnetic source such as speakers.

I suppose DJI feels that if you've not used the drone in a while or made a significant change in location, you should calibrate to be on the safe side. Many of the models now automatically call for calibration after a period of time or distance. My MM almost always asks for it and my M2 has started asking also.
I believe the DAT file will disclose if the call for calibration was triggered by time/location.
Thanx DanMan. Can you pls explain what that means: "I believe the DAT file will disclose..."

Thanx msinger! In my previouse "droneworld" there was a clear message that "never keep your cellphone" close to the aircraft and controller... due to interference.,,
In my new "droneworld" DJI I have my cellphone or Ipad mounted on top of my controller...

I only ever calibrate mine if the app tells me to. So far, the Mini2 hasn’t. Which, is interesting as I’ve flown it in exactly the same place I’ve flown my Air - and that used to ask for a calibration every time I flew in that location.
But, the Mini2 is flying perfectly so I’m leaving it alone.

In the Mini 2 manual page 38 it says that you should calibrate you compass if you haven't been in the air for 30days or moved your drone more than 50km (east-west- east, my comment) I read in this forum a few days ago that this i "bs.".
I guess that DJI knows what they are telling in the manual.
Unfortunately DJI have spread confusion and even misinformation regarding compass calibration for years.
If you looks at what they recommend in manuals for different manuals, you'll find contradictions.

There is no physical reason that your drone might require compass calibration after 30 days or moving >50km.
But DJI have recommended it in the manuals for some models anyway.
For some unknown reason, they even force the recent models to ask for recalibrating after 30 days or >50km.

To get an idea of what compass calibration is really about, the first post in this thread is a good place to start.

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929