DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Compass calibration?

jtarkington

Reactions
Seems almost every time I fly the Zoom it wants me to do a compass calibration. Anyone else seeing this?

Once it’s done it flies fine with no issues, running latest fw.

Have a Pro also and never get this prompt. Think it’s an issue?

Thanks

Absolutely correct about that, mine shows calibration each time a battery install. My buddy's got one same thing. Mavic zoom and we met another guy out with a brand new mavic zoom his have the same issue, it's not the environment, never had that issues same area with the mavic pro something wrong with it,

Reactions: Duane Davis
Yes. It is very annoying. I have the M2P and every time I fly in a new spot, it says Mag interference and requests calibration. The Mavic Pro used to never to this (or at least it was extremely rare).

....and when I say "change location" I'm leaving my County (in my State). It's all within 20 miles. Very odd.

no doubt it is much more sensitive to mag interference. I got the same thing.

Yes. It is very annoying. I have the M2P and every time I fly in a new spot, it says Mag interference and requests calibration. The Mavic Pro used to never to this (or at least it was extremely rare).

....and when I say "change location" I'm leaving my County (in my State). It's all within 20 miles. Very odd.

I get the same thing...

Ive never had to do any re-calibrations at all (MP and MP2) inc from new. I’ve had magnetic interference but moving location sorted this.. seems to be luck of the draw unfortunately.

Reactions: sfessen
Never got compass or mag issue with my original M2Z or my refresh replacement. Only exception is if powered up with arms folded or floor known to have rebar.

Every time m2z says mag interfere and then in red calibrate compass which I don't mind doing at all.
Took my 3 year old p3s to same park and it said
Your home point has been updated ... when turned on and then flew perfectly...
If it means no flyaways then goodo

Reactions: KiterTodd
Tried m2z at riverside today.
Wanted a compass calibration so did that and got green okay to fly.
Went to 30 m and took 2 pics.
Then got remote controller signal weak.
Then Remote controller error
Then disconnecting
Then disconnected blank screen and random attempts to restart
By which time it had rth and was hovering at 1.2m

Auto land came up and then disappeared...
I then used stick to land... which implies something was working...
Had cable into base usb.

Will do a upgrade soon to see if thats an issue..

Meanwhile P3s flies perfectly......

Yeah mine keeps asking for compass cal after moving locations too. I was wondering if this was FW related, since it started recently. My old MP1 got calibrated only once when I got it new and after that compass was spot on, never an issue for 1-1/2 yrs of use. I don´t mind calibrating here and there, but I´d feel better if this had some logical explanation and hopefully can be corrected in a future FW update.

From what has been said, on an M2 calibration can be called for if it has been 30 days since last calibration, or 30 miles (or was it 40 miles?) from last flight (or was it last calibration location?)

There is auto compass calibration done mid flight for the spark. I deliberately took off from top of washing machine. Please see attached images in reversed order. I have done similar with P4P. Both have precision landing for me to check compass accuracy. It cant rth properly with a bad compass in my opinion. Both have never been compass calibrated since acquisition. The motors will not start if it detects a bad compass interference. I tried this on top of my ipad cover with magnetic backing. These are from my experiences and not through any expert knowledge of how the technology works.

Attachments

• 3D9E18B6-2A96-4D0E-993C-817726A156E3.png
    3D9E18B6-2A96-4D0E-993C-817726A156E3.png
    5.6 MB · Views: 28
  • 645E5E81-B321-4385-81EB-DE15FCF5DD0B.png
    645E5E81-B321-4385-81EB-DE15FCF5DD0B.png
    5.1 MB · Views: 25
  • 0F3A351B-2768-4063-B5D4-BE008E7B4EC1.png
    0F3A351B-2768-4063-B5D4-BE008E7B4EC1.png
    6.3 MB · Views: 25
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals